Amazon Kindle discussion

Guy is driving while reading a kindle

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Has anyone here seen this video yet?

Warning: I just rewatched it and there is a little swearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1iUm...

What do you think? I hope no one here is guilty of reading a kindle while driving. Are you? Have you done any other crazy multitasking while reading on your device?

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments Who said 'guys can't multitask' lol

Seriously thought that is stupid, I hope the cops got him. I know the kindle is addictive but that's going way too far

message 3: by Lahni (new)

Lahni Isn't that what the "text to speech" function on the K3 is for?

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
I've read at stop lights but never while the car is actually moving.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Lahni, I wonder if that's what he was doing - having his Kindle read to him while periodically following along in the paper book? This looked just crazy though ;)

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan | 23 comments This lends another meaning to the law "No texting while driving". Some people just don't get it.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I think the "book" is actually the case for the Kindle.

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
And no one mentions the idiot that's videotaping instead of watching the road while he's going 60MPH?

message 9: by Britt☮ (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) | 55 comments I once saw someone sewing at a stoplight.

Just recently I took a cab where the driver had one of those screens that is usually a GPS... but no, he was watching a freaking BASEBALL GAME.

People do some crazy things while driving, and they never think accidents will happen to them either.

The most multitasking I've done with the Kindle is read while cooking!

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan | 23 comments >>no one mentions the idiot that's videotaping instead of watching the road while he's going 60MPH?<

I believe it's the passenger who is doing the videotaping.

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Not that I advocate reading and driving, but I can certainly see having the book handy while listening to the Kindle audio. There are definitely some bugs to be worked out of the electronic voice. Some wonky pronunciations. I don't really use or recommend that feature of the Kindle.

message 12: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Britt☮ wrote: "I once saw someone sewing at a stoplight.

Just recently I took a cab where the driver had one of those screens that is usually a GPS... but no, he was watching a freaking BASEBALL GAME.

People do..."

But aren't you afraid the food will splatter on to it and get it all dirty? I have considered doing this but I'm terrified of somehow wrecking it so I don't. Do you think they have splatter-guards availble in the Kindle store? Then I might...lol.

I been in a car with my father on the highway (this is the 401 near Toronto) while he talked on his cell phone and then took out a pen and paper to write out a phone number. It was terrifying.

I have also seen someone on the road (while driving behind them) actually take off their glasses and put eye drops in. You'd think that's something to pull over for but I guess you'd be wrong!

The sewing thing sounds crazy too :)

Eric wrote: "Not that I advocate reading and driving, but I can certainly see having the book handy while listening to the Kindle audio. There are definitely some bugs to be worked out of the electronic voice. ..."

I kind of agree with this. Some words just don't sound right at all and it's sometimes hard to figure out what the reader is saying. It's still a great feature to have available though.

message 13: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. B (MrsB73) | 1 comments Just WOW!! Where are the cops when you need them?!?!

message 14: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Surfing the net on their dash-mounted laptops.

message 15: by Britt☮ (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) | 55 comments Erika wrote: "But aren't you afraid the food will splatter on to it and get it all dirty? I have considered doing this but I'm terrified of somehow wrecking it so I don't. Do you think they have splatter-guards availble in the Kindle store? Then I might...lol."

I usually keep it in a case, and it has a skin... but I still probably wouldn't pull out the Kindle if I were cooking something messy... but if I'm just boiling water or something I will :)

Wow, eye drops?! That's insane!!!

message 16: by Chester (new)

Chester | 29 comments Years ago in Chicago I took a cab and the driver had a long box of audio tapes in his lap. He kept looking down, sorfting through them while driving. My friend and I nearly freaked out.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments This has nothing to do with reading, but my husband likes to play youtube vids on his phone for my kids while he is driving, but he has to look, type in, and play the clip he wants. It drives me crazy and I keep telling him, one of these days, your are not going to be as lucky. lol

message 18: by Britt☮ (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) | 55 comments Just remembered another crazy cab driver story. I went to Paris with my dad, and on the cab ride from the airport to the hotel, the driver somehow managed to weave in and out of traffic, read a map, talk on his cell phone, tell my dad about the sights to see, and quiz me on my French all at the same time. I didn't think we'd live to see the Eiffel Tower.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments My husband and I were in New York and we cought a cab and as we were driving along the driver stops in the middle of an intersection and says, "Oh, I will be right back." He leaves us there, people honking behind us, the door is open, the car is running and he comes back and says he forgot something. My husband says to the guy, "You just can't leave us in the middle of the intersection." and he says "Oh, I am sorry." and proceeds to pull the cab onto the side walk and leaves us, yet again, to finish his business. I didn't pay the guy, LOL!

message 20: by Erssie (new)

Erssie | 11 comments Eric wrote: ".....There are definitely some bugs to be worked out of the electronic voice. ..."

Yes, one of the things that grates on me is if I am listening to a classic like Charles Dickens I certainly don't want to hear it read in an American accent....and there is yet to be a 'UK/English voice' preference.

Also, I recently bought Dombey and Son because there was a 'link' to a 'free audio book', and I love to 'read' and knit at the same time (I knit for a living and it can get dreadfully dull) and after going round in circles to find this link, it was on the Gutenberg project site, and of course, it was electronically produced and of worse quality than the text to speech.....so beware of buying audio books, and don't always expect them to be physically read.....

Has anyone here bought a bona fide audio book read by an actor for loading onto Kindle yet? And was there enough memory for the file when you did so? They must be quite big files for a fat book and I should imagine need to be separated into chunks??

message 21: by Loren (new)

Loren | 40 comments What a fool, don't know why in the world anyone would do that but man it astonishes me that there aren't 20x more accidents in the world

message 22: by Orbs n Rings (new)

Orbs n Rings (autumnbluesreviews) | 33 comments People are crazy however the car companies are not far behind. I just watched a commercial today for a Ford vehicle. In the dash where the GPS is it actually changes over so you can watch a movie. I can just see all the idiots who would use this to watch a movie while they drive. Don't get me wrong I love the USA made Ford vehicle and me and my husband each have a Ford. But why is this even allowed in manufacturing a vehicle. It should be against the law to place a dvd viewer or whatever they are called in the dashboard area of a vehicle. It should only be allowed in the rear of a vehicle.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 60 comments Has anyone here bought a bona fide audio book read by an actor for loading onto Kindle yet? And was there enough memory for the file when you did so? They must be quite big files for a fat book and I should imagine need to be separated into chunks??

Audio books from Audible don't take up much space at all, I don't know about MP3 versions. Audible already has files broken into several chunks but each part will be several hours, so a regular book is normally 2, Justin Cronnin's the Passage was 3.

message 24: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 8 comments The worst thing I do is dry my hair with the hairdryer while I read on my kindle. And walk and read, which has caused a mishap or two.

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Erssie wrote: "Eric wrote: ".....There are definitely some bugs to be worked out of the electronic voice. ..."

Yes, one of the things that grates on me is if I am listening to a classic like Charles Dickens I ce..."

Erssie, about a year ago, when I had my K2, I downloaded an audio book, MP3 version, from the library, I just wanted to try it to see how it worked. It did work, but it put probably 5 or 6 different entries on my Kindle, I guess where it broke it down in sections? I don't know much about audio books. I didn't listen to the entire book, I removed it in a day or so, was just doing it because I was curious about how it worked.

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 34 comments It's one of my pet hates, seeing people doing other things whilst driving. I mean....it's a deadly weapon you are in charge of. Only today I saw a man on his mobile phone whilst trying to turn right on a monster busy roundabout.
Once I was walking and saw a woman on her mobile whilst driving. I shook my head (pretty tame really) and she made a VERY rude hand gesture at me (leaving no hands on the wheel.)

message 27: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) Chantelle wrote: "And walk and read, which has caused a mishap or two."

Yes, I was on the subway today reading my Kindle, even when I got on and off the train. There were two guys who were looking at me like I was crazy. Of course, they were the ones standing in the doorway and practically blocking the door... and no, I didn't walk into anybody!