Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Spectacular Series > The Blades of The Rose

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
So I keep seeing this series around GR.. Apparently everyone who reads it loves it...

Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3) by Zoe Archer Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4) by Zoe Archer

Anyone else read them?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) No, but I've been seeing it around quite a bit myself. I added the first one to my list.

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 04, 2010 11:00PM) (new)

I did too.. Figure its worth checking out atleast... with all the hype.. It has to be atleast decent.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I follow a girl on here called Felicia Day (she's got a web series that has to do with online computer gamers, sort of a long story) and loved her review about the first book :

"This book kinda defied my shelving system. I felt like I needed a vaginal-paranormalish-adventure tag, but that's weird to even type, so whatever.

WARNING: THERE ARE LOTS OF GRAPHIC NAUGHTY SCENES IN THIS. So there. It's definitely a romance book, but I think the plot surpasses the "genrefication". I LOVED this book, and even without the naughty bits I would have really enjoyed it, which is how I like to judge my more "romancy" reads.

This is like a Period Indiana Jones caper set in the corset age. With magic stuff. I mean, brilliant combo on the face of it (at least there's no Vampires!!). I really really loved the two leads here, Thalia, the heroine, she was not too dumb to live, and when she lacked skills it was believable, and Gabriel, the hero, was terse and well fleshed-out leading man who was not a brutish Alpha thank goodness!

There are some paranormal/magical aspects here in the world-building that if you think about it too much it's a BIT dis-believable, but the author created a world I bought into and I really enjoyed the characters!

MOST EXCITINGLY, the three sequels are coming out ONE A MONTH for the next several months! WHAT? So...no waiting for the rest!?!? I love it!! I really am interesting in how they progress, because in one of them, there's an African American lead hero with a white female. These books are set in a late 19th century setting, so I'm really interested how the author will be able to deal with this and seem like it's based in reality at all."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) In fact I'm thinking...can you add this one to our voting for the group read?

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Too funny... And for sure Stacia.. Add it to the thread.

message 7: by Rea (new)

Rea Just finished Warrior.

The story itself was pretty good, though I can't say that I'm bouncing with impatience as I wait for the next book in the series to be delivered (in fact, haven't even ordered it yet).

I was really annoyed by the portrayal of language acquisition at the end of the book, which is a shame because if the author hadn't portrayed it so badly I'm pretty sure I would have really enjoyed the book rather than just being annoyed at the male protag's super awesomeness.

message 8: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn I, too, have been eyeing this series.

Rea wrote: "Just finished Warrior.

The story itself was pretty good, though I can't say that I'm bouncing with impatience as I wait for the next book in the series to be delivered (in fact, haven't even order..."

Sorry, what do you mean by "language acquisition"? I'm confused. :S

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna from Deanna's World (deannasworld) | 9 comments I've read the 1st 3 books and now currently reading the last book of the series Stranger. It's an excellent series. Highly recommend it.

message 10: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Hmmm, I admit I am an Indiana Jones fan and have read several Indy novels, beyond the movie adaptations. The thought of a similar type story interests me.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna from Deanna's World (deannasworld) | 9 comments The stories are great and the author has done an excellent job in writing. They are very well written books.

message 12: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments I think the cover alone just won me! Lol. Sounds like you really like them D. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna from Deanna's World (deannasworld) | 9 comments If you have a Kindle, this bundle is excellent value.

http://www.amazon.com/Blades-Rose-Bun...

message 14: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Very nice! Thanks!

message 15: by Leea (new)

Leea They look great!
Deanna, that bundle is a great deal... wish i had a kindle

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna from Deanna's World (deannasworld) | 9 comments You should get one. It's a treat to read on it. I was totally blown away by how great a reading experience is when reading on the Kindle.

message 17: by Leea (new)

Leea Yes, i asked for a Kindle for Christmas and got a MacBook pro instead... So i'm waiting for a little while :) I wish the kindle was in color because i have 2 boys and would love to get some children's books for them to read. They are the wave of the future, even library's now are going to start letting you share ebooks.

message 18: by Rea (new)

Rea AlbertaJenn wrote: "I, too, have been eyeing this series.

Rea wrote: "Just finished Warrior.

The story itself was pretty good, though I can't say that I'm bouncing with impatience as I wait for the next book in ..."

Sorry been awol for some time. By language acquistion I mean the hero, English, spends about a week living in a Mongolian village and after this week he's able to sprout seriously complex sentences in Mongolian. He learnt all this from just listening to them, no one teaching him anything. Language acquisition does not work like that. Especially not within a week. It's just little things like that that really bug me.

message 19: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol~ I hear ya~ Even in a fantasy there must be some link to realism for me~ Otherwise I just find I roll my eyes~ ALOT.