Q&A with Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl discussion

Writing Influences & Books We Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kami (new)

Kami Garcia (kamigarcia) | 70 comments Mod
Wondering what influences us as writers, or influenced The Caster Chronicles specifically? Do you have other questions about books that have influenced us? Post questions in this threads.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena (Lena1Sarah) | 4 comments what influenced you to include the songs in the books?

message 3: by Misha (new)

Misha (mishamathew) Do you have any authors that have influenced you?

message 4: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** what influenced you to write this genre of books...YA paranormal/fantasy-romance?

message 5: by Britta (new)

Britta (ilikethesebooks) | 2 comments This isn't necessarily about writing influences (well, it kind of is), was their a song or book that made you think of the idea for 16 moons? Or did you two come up with a song idea by yourselves?

message 6: by Denisa (last edited Nov 05, 2010 04:10PM) (new)

Denisa (deelopa) What books helped/influenced you create the idea and plot line for the caster chronicles?

message 7: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) What inspired the names for the characters?

message 8: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (joit) | 5 comments Do you have favorite books that you want to recommend?

message 9: by (Aero)driguez (new)

(Aero)driguez (aerodriguez) Will there be a third book? and if so When does it come out? if you can tell me

message 10: by Alba (new)

Alba BookPics (bookpics) whose idea was...to write the caster chronicles???
and how did you guys come up with both tittles...wich I might add...ressemble incredible both books...

favorite author so far??

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire Who did the covers? They look amazing!

message 12: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) What is most likely going to be the title of the third book?

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Let me guess..it starts with "beautiful"?

message 14: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) LOL, I think thats obvious xD
But like, the second word xP

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire Idk, I'm really curious though.

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) Who designed the covers?

message 17: by Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (last edited Nov 08, 2010 05:18PM) (new)

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where else to ask this. Kami and Margaret, have you ever thought about doing a book signing in the Doylestown area? (because that's where I live)

message 18: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) How about in Canada?? :)

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments Yeah, how about a world tour? (hinting here...))

message 20: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) LOL, random question: What do you think about the Percy jackson series? (by Rick Riordan) ((It's one of my favourite series :D)) and what about the Evernight series 9by Claudia Gray?) ((these are person questions but yeah. You don't have to answer it... I'd like to know both of you opinions :D))

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments Not heard of the second and who do you think dressed up as annabeth for the midnight premier?

message 22: by Denisa (new)

Denisa (deelopa) Lena the caster girl wrote: "Not heard of the second and who do you think dressed up as annabeth for the midnight premier?"

Are you talking to me? Well if you are, I have no idea. I don't even know of this midnight premiere...

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments Yeah, I was... I don't really know when I'm confusing people...the lightning thief movie. I dressed up as Annabeth.

message 24: by Lea Ivy (new)

Lea Ivy (leaives) is there someone like a character of a certain book that influence your writings? :)

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Stohl | 51 comments Mod
Lena wrote: "what influenced you to include the songs in the books?"

Lena: the songs just sort of happened. We had the words "sixteen moons" in our head, and they just sort of popped into the story from there. That original verse of the song was actually one of the first things that existed in the whole universe...good question!

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Misha wrote: "Do you have any authors that have influenced you?"

Misha: we're big fans of fantasy, both of us. I grew up reading Susan Cooper, Ursula LeGuin, Madeline L'Engle, Diana Wynn Jones, C.S. Lewis...

Today I love Melissa Marr, Holly Black (White Cat! Red Glove!) Cassie Clare - basically anybody you can find on the Smart Chicks Tour with us. Also a fan of Allison Condie's forthcoming book, Matched.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments I got the song for my iPad...I listen to it constantly.....is that weird?

And where did you get the idea for Savannah and Emily? I'd love to know...

message 28: by Margaret (new)

**Carla** wrote: "what influenced you to write this genre of books...YA paranormal/fantasy-romance?"

Carla, all I've ever read is fantasy. I live in a fantasy world. :) So I think that just came naturally to me - Kami's actually not much different. But these books were written for 7 teenagers, including 2 of my daughters, who specifically wanted what became BC.

message 29: by Margaret (new)

Joyzi wrote: "Do you have favorite books that you want to recommend?"

Yes, Joyzi - look up under what I just wrote to Misha!

message 30: by Margaret (new)

Britta wrote: "This isn't necessarily about writing influences (well, it kind of is), was their a song or book that made you think of the idea for 16 moons? Or did you two come up with a song idea by yourselves?"

Britta, it's completely weird, but sixteen moons just possessed us, on the level of words, and sat in our head. it was the original title of the book, and the entire time we wrote, we thought - what would happen in a book called sixteen moons. that's the title of the book in a few countries, which makes us happy, for old times' sakes - though we love the title we have now, too!

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Aerodriguez wrote: "Will there be a third book? and if so When does it come out? if you can tell me"

the third book comes out next october. and the fourth, the october after that. good thing halloween is such a reliable caster holiday...!

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Alba wrote: "whose idea was...to write the caster chronicles???
and how did you guys come up with both tittles...wich I might add...ressemble incredible both books...

favorite author so far??"

Alba, everything we write comes out of a conversation between the two of us. My favorite author of all time is probably Susan Cooper, who wrote a series called THE DARK IS RISING. Kami would probably say Ray Bradbury or Tolkien, but she's coming on tomorrow so maybe she'll answer for herself then...

:)

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Claire wrote: "Idk, I'm really curious though."

LOL Claire! No spoilerz!

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Alethea wrote: "Who designed the covers?"

Alethea, a genius Art Director at Little, Brown named Dave Caplan designed the covers. A great designer named Si Scott designed the amazing fonts. We are so lucky to have them! They're both incredible...

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Lena the caster girl wrote: "Yeah, how about a world tour? (hinting here...))"

Lena and Denisa, I wish we could just snap our fingers and go everywhere we have caster readers! We actually don't get to pick where we go, since the publisher is the boss of all things related to book tours. But that's one of the reasons we started streaming our events on blog.tv - so that everyone who wanted to could tune in. I'd love to go to Canada, I've only done events in Toronto, so hopefully we will get up there again soon!

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Denisa, I think Rick Riordian is pretty genius and I can't believe the concept Claudia Gray pulled off in the Evernight series, talk about an ambitious POV! Both very talented at what they do...

message 37: by Kami (new)

Lena wrote: "what influenced you to include the songs in the books?"

The song came to us early on & once we had it & realized where is was originating, we were hooked!

message 38: by Kami (new)

Misha wrote: "Do you have any authors that have influenced you?"

Too many to name...

Southern Authors: Flannery O'Connor, Harper Lee, Anne Rice, Rebecca Wells

Fantasy/Sci-Fi: C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Lois Lowry, Clive Barker (Abarat series), Ray Bradbury, John Christopher,

message 39: by Kami (new)

**Carla** wrote: "what influenced you to write this genre of books...YA paranormal/fantasy-romance?"

I have always read primarily fantasy & sci-fi, so when Margie's daughter dared us to write the book, it was going to be a fantasy. But I love urban fantasy, in particular.

message 40: by Kami (new)

Denisa wrote: "What books helped/influenced you create the idea and plot line for the caster chronicles?"

Aside from classic fantasy & Southern Gothic like Anne Rice, we were more influenced by our family stories.

message 41: by Kami (new)

Denisa wrote: "What inspired the names for the characters?"

Our family tress & research. most of the names mean something.

message 42: by Kami (new)

Joyzi wrote: "Do you have favorite books that you want to recommend?"

Too many:

All the old Anne Rice supernatural Southern Gothics (INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE, SERVANT OF THE BONES, THE WITCHING HOUR), Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, Flannery O'Connor's "A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND & OTHER STORIES," Ray Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451 & THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, Clive Barker's ABARAT Series, Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY Series, Holly Black's TITHE SERIES & WHITE CAT (my fave of hers), Cassandra Clare's MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series & CLOCKWORK ANGEL, Saundra Mitchell's SHADOWED SUMMER, Diana Perfreund's RAMPANT Series, Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS & TEETH SERIES, Sarah Rees Brennan's THE DEMON'S LEXICON Series, Orson Scott Card's ENDER'S GAME, Kristin Cashore's FIRE, also love Rachel Caine & Melissa de la Cruz & SO Many Others!!!

message 43: by Kami (new)

Aerodriguez wrote: "Will there be a third book? and if so When does it come out? if you can tell me"

Yes, this fall. Title is top secret.

message 44: by Kami (new)

Claire wrote: "Who did the covers? They look amazing!"

Davis Caplan, at Little, Brown & Si Scott did the hand lettering for the fonts.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments Oh my gosh, I love the covers. I'll sometimes spend an hour tracing the letters when I'm bored...

message 46: by Lena (new)

Lena (Lena1Sarah) | 4 comments do you use music to help you in your writing? and if you do what genre of music do you use the most?

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 52 comments Yes, do tell! I know I'll listen to the score of my fav movies sometimes, but what do you guys do?

message 48: by Alba (new)

Alba BookPics (bookpics) Margaret wrote: "Alba wrote: "whose idea was...to write the caster chronicles???

A..."

Margaret wrote: "Alba wrote: "whose idea was...to write the caster chronicles???

A..."

THX for the answers!!
^_^

message 49: by Elizabeth: (last edited Nov 10, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Elizabeth: (elizabeth_white) How do you guys come up for ideas i find coming wiht ideas hard like in communication class

message 50: by Kami (new)

I start with a lot of "what ifs". Asking myself -- or Margie questions and brainstormimg. For me, it really starts with the universe. What's the magic? Who lives in the universe? All of that comes before plot.

Write ALL your ideas down. Read a lot. I think comics, movies & TV (sci-fi, fantasy) alos make you think.

« previous 1