The Diary of a Young Girl The Diary of a Young Girl discussion

Similar book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jehan Does anyone know of a book much like this one, I remember reading it when I was younger, right after I read Anne Frank, but I do not recall the author or the book title.

Sophia Jehan wrote: "Does anyone know of a book much like this one, I remember reading it when I was younger, right after I read Anne Frank, but I do not recall the author or the book title."

Perhaps it was Zlata's Diary? I had to read it for school and everyone compared it to Anne Frank.

Jehan Thank you for replying :) I actually found out the book. It's Edith's Story. Thanks again!

Sophia Ok then. That's good.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer If you are looking for another good read along these lines, read corrie ten boom's "the hiding place".

Jehan I'll take a look, thank you Jennifer!

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss There's a book I'm reading right now that is similar, called Behind The Secret Window. You might want to check that one out, but I'm glad your question was answered.

Jehan It looks really good..thank you for the recommendation- on my to-read list!

message 9: by Ladydana0 (last edited Apr 05, 2011 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladydana0 "Go ask Alice" is a book I read which is not set in Germany, but a diary of sorts of a girl on the west coast.

"This groundbreaking classic is more compelling than ever for today's readers. A sensation when it was first published and a perennial bestseller ever since, this real-life diary charts an anonymous teenage girl's struggle with the seductive--and often fatal--world of drugs."

Ladydana0 Also there's "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak Set in Nazi Germany. It is a girls life during that time period. Excellent book as well.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Another good one that I read when I was younger was Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.

Jehan Great recommendations :> Thank you!

Joshua the boy in stripe pajamas. IT MADE ME CRY and still would to this day. but its a real good book

Aimee Number the Stars is a fictional book that is very similar, and well worth the read.

message 15: by Tej (new) - added it

Tej Jennifer wrote: "If you are looking for another good read along these lines, read corrie ten boom's "the hiding place"."

I read that in elementary school, and it has stayed with me. Highly recommended.

message 16: by shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

shan The Zookeepers Wife is an interesting story set in the same time period. The writing is fabulous.

message 17: by Lily (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lily Another story that my mind, rightly or inappropriately, links with Anne Frank's story is I Never Promised You a Rose Garden. Like Anne Frank's story, it asks the reader to wrestle with sanity, both the difficulty of sustaining it as an individual and of its very existence as a society.

Beth A book I'm getting that my boss told me is one of the best she ever read is I Have Lived A Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust

I've seen it compared with ANN FRANK.

message 19: by Lily (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lily Very sad and not at all the same, but also a young girl dealing with the Holocaust is Sarah's Key. It is fiction and opens in France.

Alicia I have lived a thousand years: Growing up in the Holocuast is a great book :)

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i haven't read this one, but the movie adaption was good - The Devil's Arithmetic

message 22: by Emily (last edited May 05, 2011 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily This is not about a young girl, but it is set in World War II, is a true story, and is about a family hiding Jews - The Hiding Place It is very touching and I believe it is a must read! Absolutely fantastic.

message 23: by Cecille (new) - added it

Cecille Jehan wrote: "Does anyone know of a book much like this one, I remember reading it when I was younger, right after I read Anne Frank, but I do not recall the author or the book title."

try reading "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak..

Julia Emily wrote: "This is not about a young girl, but it is set in World War II, is a true story, and is about a family hiding Jews - The Hiding Place It is very touching and I believe it is a must r..."

I agree with you Emily - this is an amazing story. We can learn a lot about forgiveness from Corrie Ten Boom.

January Luzada Book Thief is also a good read:)

message 26: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn I can recommend "If This Is a Man" (American title "Survival in Auschwitz") by Primo Levi, about his time in a concentration camp, and "Fatelessness" and "Kaddish for an Unborn Child" by Imre Kertész, about life in and after been in a concentration camp. All are autobiographic.

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Tortorello I have a list of books that are about young girls and their WWII experience.

They are:
The Final Journey by Gudrun Pausewang

I Have Lived a Thousand Years-Growing up in the Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson

Hidden Child of the Holocaust-A True Story by Stacy Cretzmeyer

Grace in the Wilderness-After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal

I hope you find at least one(if not all) of them interesting.

message 28: by R.W. (last edited Jun 28, 2011 10:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.W. Raymond I'm half way through, The Book Theif by Markus Zuska, and one of the blurbs on the back of the book reads, "Deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl," right on- a joy to read.

message 29: by Sandra (last edited Jun 28, 2011 10:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Jones These books are about a similar subject and good reading too!
Run, Boy, Run  by Uri Orlev
Thura's Diary by Thura al-Windawi

message 30: by R.W. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.W. Raymond Thanks Sandra,
I check them out, after I finish The Book Theif.

Viviana D. Otero Jehan wrote: "Does anyone know of a book much like this one, I remember reading it when I was younger, right after I read Anne Frank, but I do not recall the author or the book title."

There are numerous stories similar to Anne's Diary. Just interview any Holocaust survivor.

message 32: by R.W. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.W. Raymond Hello Everyone,
I just finished The Book Thief-Markus Zuska-right up there with Anne Frank. Great read.

Jeanette Johnson The boy who dared The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
and Hitler Youth Hitler Youth Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti are both really good as well.

message 34: by Liv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liv the cage by ruth minsky sender

It is also a very good book about a girl from poland surviving the holocaust. its a memoir of ruths time there. I read it in 7th grade and i will never forget it.

message 35: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Anderson I Have Lived A Thousand Years by Olivia Bitton Jackson. Warning, this book will rip your heart out.

message 36: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Anderson Maybe you are thinking of Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.

Rkdk47 Milk Weed is another great story from the same time period

Jennifer There is a book called Kiss Every Step by Doris Martin, it's about a family of 5 from poland that survived the Holocaust.

Viviana D. Otero Joshua wrote: "the boy in stripe pajamas. IT MADE ME CRY and still would to this day. but its a real good book"

I'm reading that book now.

Viviana D. Otero Rachel wrote: "Not sure if someone recommended it already, but "Night" by Elie Weisel is another highly-praised Holocaust book (: (I think I spelt the authors name wrong, apologies if i did)"

That's a great book. I've read it seven times. I met Elie Wiesel and he was an amazing man.

message 41: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Willow Aleph wrote: "Robert wrote: "Hello Everyone,
I just finished The Book Thief-Markus Zuska-right up there with Anne Frank. Great read."

i just started reading that- it's kinda confusing- is it really that good?"

It's great. Hang in there a bit and it'll come into focus.

Jamie Beth wrote: "A book I'm getting that my boss told me is one of the best she ever read is I Have Lived A Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust

I've seen it compared with ANN FRANK."

I agree....I really liked this one...

message 43: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Zlata's Diary is written by a girl when she was 11 in war torn Sarajevo. It is very touching and she tells how her life and home was changed by the war. I highly recommend it.

Michaela Annexedthe story of her love, peter. this book is touching. i could not put it down. :) please read it!

Cherei Jennifer wrote: "If you are looking for another good read along these lines, read corrie ten boom's "the hiding place"."

Absolutely! Corrie Ten Boom's book, 'The Hiding Place' is a classic!

message 46: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna "I Promised I would Tell" by Sonia Weitz is a fabulous and heartwrenching autobiography by a teenaged Jewish girl from Poland who survived, filled with her poetry and narrative accounts of the devastating experience of surviving. I strongly recommend it.

message 47: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma "Night" by Nobel Prize winner Elie Wiesel is an excellent book and a very vivid, personal account of the holocaust. It gives you a glimpse of what happens after the diary ends.

message 48: by Jack (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jack Canada Hana's suitcase.

message 49: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee for a graphic novel about the holocaust -you could try The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman or Yossel, April 19, 1943 by Joe Kubert - we used the complete Maus in college when I took a class on the Holocaust and i'm reading Yossel right now

Helen Lopes There is a similar book written for young adults called The Endless Steppe.
I'm not sure of the author but I bought it from Scholastic books when I was in the 8th grade which was in 1969
It was excellent and a bitt more detailed

« previous 1