Graywolf Press discussion

Bookish in General > Movies that are better than the book...Or are they??

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
The Huffington Post has now done two posts on movies that are better than their book counterparts. What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with their picks? Did they leave out any of your favorite book-to-movie creations?

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments A lot of the horror selections I just haven't read or seen. I disagree with The Thin Red Line: I liked the book better! (From Here to Eternity would be a much closer call for me, since the book gets pretty wobbly in places toward the end, but I might still vote book.) While I liked both versions of The Princess Bride, I would probably agree in giving the movie the edge.

My movies-that-were-better-than-books list includes Eddie & the Cruisers, Fat City, M*A*S*H (the novel; there are some great memoirs/nonfiction titles that informed both fictionalizations), and (though I liked both versions) At Play in the Fields of the Lord.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 21 comments The first list was pretty dead on, I thought, with the exception of A History of Violence, the movie of which I didn't like at all. The second list is tougher. I think Fight Club is an okay book (though people need to stop quoting it as if it's some kind of gospel) and I actually thought the second half of the movie Fight Club wasn't that great.

A lot of the choices seem to come from very popular/genre books, and I think that's largely because there's less stigma attached to genres in movies. The Godfather is a great example of this. It's considered one of the best movies ever made, and it won a ton of Oscars, but the book would never have even sniffed the National Book Award, for instance. It was a beach read.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I believe that The Princess Bride movie is better than the book.... and I feel that High Fidelity and the book are EQUAL to each other.

The others, I cant really have an opinion on because the books I have read, I read so long ago I can't recall if they were better (The Shining; Shawshank Redemption).

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments I had to think about High Fidelity, too: equals sounds about right.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Michel-Cassidy (lmctaos) | 2 comments Winter's Bone. Didn't think it was possible, but the movie might be equal to the book.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments With High Fidelity they are different enough from each other that they are both good in a parallel way. I suppose it is inevitable when you set an English book in Chicago.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments And sort of related -- but the TV show Survivors (that's plural! Not Survivor!) is supposed to be better than the book. I haven't read the book but the recent BBC series was great. Too bad they cancelled it.

message 9: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Sara, I had completely forgotten that they took High Fidelity out of the UK and set it in Chicago!

My favorite example of a great book-to-movie adaptation is The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. That's one of my favorite novels of all time, and the movie was directed by Sofia Coppola, my favorite director of all time. I think Coppola did a great job of maintaining the essence and tone of that book. In a way, I love the book and movie together as one collective piece.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I... really didn't like the movie of The Virgin Suicides, but I've never read the book. Something didn't quite click for me while watching it, but you never know, I could have watched it at the wrong time in life, so maybe I'd have a better result with the book now. I do want to read Jeffery Egenides' Middlesex though -- one of those books everyone seems to have read that I have not. Like so many.