Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Themes > Older Woman Younger Man

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4156 comments Mod
What do you ladies think about this theme? I'm reading a book right now, where the heroine is 10 years older than the hero.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 54 comments I just finished JR Ward's Crave where Isaac (the hero) is 26 y/o to Grier's (the heroine) 32.

I had no problem with it, and I'm interested what other good books are out there with this kind of age-difference pairing.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Outlander, Claire is about 5 years old than Jamie. I guess when the book first came out a lot of people didn't like that. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

message 4: by Arch (new)

I don't mind the heroine being older than the hero. Of course, I don't want her to be too much older than the hero. For fiction a 10 year gap is okay in my eyes.

The only problem I would have is if the hero thinks the woman is too old for him or the heroine thinks she's too old for the hero.

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally | 75 comments Arch wrote: "I don't mind the heroine being older than the hero. Of course, I don't want her to be too much older than the hero. For fiction a 10 year gap is okay in my eyes.

The only problem I would have i..."

I totally agree with Arch!

message 6: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments I don't mind maybe something with a 5 year difference, but I don't know...10 might be pushing it for me. I'm not sure... I think LK handled it well in Suddenly You and I actually found it very very attractive. So..who knows..I haven't been exposed to it that much.

message 7: by Arch (new)

Well, in fiction 5 years is okay to me as well. It would be better than 10 years, but the book I am reading, I don't see anything wrong with the age difference. I do find some things wrong with the feeling about the age difference. I will write my feelings in my review and I will make it a spoiler, so I don't spoil anyone.

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (last edited Nov 03, 2010 01:35PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
This is actually a theme I'm not fond of. However, there are a few authors that have done it that I have enjoyed. LK's Suddenly You is one of them. I'm more okay with a couple of years but not anything over 6 or more. Even when the hero is older I don't like a huge difference. I prefer 8 or less yrs but so many authors (historical romance, that is) have the heroine 17-22ish and the hero 30+. I think that's changing a little with the newer authors though.

message 9: by Arch (new)

I can't write older, older characters. The hero will be like up to three years older than the heroine.

message 10: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 276 comments I love the opposite. Older man younger woman romances. I'm catching up on some older harlequins with this theme. I don't like the teen heroine with the older guy so much as the mid twenties heroine with the mid 30s/40s guy. I have a few on my shelf that I'm eager to read within this theme.

message 11: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments i like those too!!! share with me some favs?

message 12: by Othena (new)

Othena I've read and enjoyed these:

Anyone But You
Show and Tell
Snowfire
Dancing at the Harvest Moon
The Tender Texan
Suddenly You
Mr. Fullservice

*disclaimer*
I'm 9 yrs older than my husband. I'm 45,he's 36. We've been together 13 years,married for 5. You could say I have a vested interest in these storylines. I love it when they are well written because lets face it there are issues when dealing with age differences. The trick is to focus on the connection of the characters and not that difference, IMO.

message 13: by Arch (new)

Othena, I'm reading Anyone But You. I am almost finished with the book.

message 14: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments I have a friend whose mother is 13 yrs older than her father and they are the cutest, greatest couple!

message 15: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments oooohweeee....thats some cover: Mr. Fullservice by Ruby Storm !!!!!!!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9736 comments Mod
I prefer when the hero is older, but I've read some great books with this theme. I don't like more than a ten year age difference, preferably less than that. Here is my OWYM shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 17: by CaliGirlRae (last edited Nov 04, 2010 02:05PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 276 comments Bekah wrote: "i like those too!!! share with me some favs?"

Sure!

My faves are:

The Admiral's Bride
Letters to My Mother
The Surprise Of His Life
A Time to Keep

Here's a few more: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

I'm also currently reading one now which is May/December IR called Tears of Heaven by Jewel Adams. It's pretty good, too. :-)

I also created a May/December romance group here on GR. It's a bit quiet but anyone is free to join and start up some discussions or recs: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 18: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments Thanks Rae! I appreciate it! And the last thing I need is another group to join!! I'm never going to get anything done!

(on my way to join the group)

:-)

message 19: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 276 comments Np! Hope you like them!

I know what you mean (hehe) my groups are getting out of hand, but it would be great to have ya aboard!

message 20: by Othena (new)

Othena Arch wrote: "Othena, I'm reading Anyone But You. I am almost finished with the book."

I really liked this. Jennifer Crusie is a favorite author. It's been while since I read it but I remember funny parts to this day.
Are you enjoying it?

message 21: by Othena (new)

Othena Bekah wrote: "oooohweeee....thats some cover:Mr. Fullservice by Ruby Storm!!!!!!!"

oh yeah, ha. It's an ellora's cave and erotic but I thought the sex scenes were well written and not over the top.

*possible spoilers*
There's a 15 year differnce (h-46,H-31) and her grown daughter gives her grief as well as her ex husband (who left her for younger woman). So the book delves into the complications that family can cause.

message 22: by Arch (new)

I don't read erotic books.

Othena, I have finished the book and will be writing my review, hopefully, before Sunday.

message 23: by Othena (new)

Othena Arch wrote: "I don't read erotic books.

Othena, I have finished the book and will be writing my review, hopefully, before Sunday."

I'm looking forward to your review of Anyone but You. I read it when it first came out and was in middle of Jennifer Crusie glom.

message 24: by Arch (new)

My review should be out later today. I am working on my story right now.

message 25: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I like the them, when it is well done. The age difference must be just a facet of the love relationship/conflict though, not the pivotal point or main issue. :)

message 26: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Check out these A Comedy of Erinn by Celia Bonaduce Big Boy by Ruthie Knox Crash by Pepper Pace