Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-11 LITTLE, BIG: the characters (*spoilers*)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments What did you think of the various characters? Please include a favorite (if you have one), any comments about the family tree, observations about the names themselves, or anything else along those lines.

message 2: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments My favorite character was definitely Smoky. I loved his through-line of first being insubstantial, then of "growing" a character, then finding it didn't fit. . . he was utterly delightful, every time I saw him, and every time the narrative left him I was sad.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Smokey does seem to be linchpin of the book, and considering what Daily Alice thinks about him, that seems to make sense. In some ways, Smokey seems a bit like the reader, trying to play catch up but lacking some of the important clues for time.

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I love the names in the book. Other than a few exceptions, such as Charles Wayne, they are all so natural or insightful. There are Meadows, Woods, Lakes, Foxes, Mouses, Storms, Berrys, Floods, Clouds, and so many more along those lines. One day I would love to find out why a name such as Charles Wayne was thrown into the mix.

Then there are names like, Smokey Barnable. Smokey so fits his feelings (especially in the beginning) about himself.