Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > When do you start buying Christmas presents?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Christmas is comin'. Quick. Better start planning.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I start "thinking" in September. By October I usually have a pretty good idea of the gifts I will buy and the projects I'm working on. In November, I start buying (don't want to start too early in case the giftee happens to get for him/herself meanwhile). In December, I tie up the loose ends. I sometimes switch who I will give what to. Also, I decide what kind of cookies I will bake for the cookie swap and what I will bring to the Christmas party. During the year, I pick up odds and ends for Christmas stockings.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments If I'm going someplace cool, whatever time of year, I buy all my presents then. Africa counts, Winterpeg doesn't.

Other than that, I buy things for specific people as I see things they'd like, even if it means holding on for months (and occasionally forgetting I got them).

message 4: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart This reminds me: I gotta buy something for secret santa. hmmmm

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Usually the 3 weekends leading up to Thanksgiving. We like to avoid the craziness.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my gift for TC exchange is purchased and sitting in my office waiting to be sent

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
Usually the 1st or 2nd week of December. I'm kind of thinking about boycotting Christmas this year, though. I hate the way it seems to arouse in me more feelings of obligation and doubt that I'm getting things recipients will like, than holiday joy.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "my gift for TC exchange is purchased and sitting in my office waiting to be sent"

I am so jealous Kevin. I need to make a special trip into the city to find what I want to buy. I don't know when I'm going to find the time.

::starting to panic::

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I am hoping to make my gift, I need one more piece of equipment, and then I should be able to proceed.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 03, 2010 05:54PM) (new)

That dosen't sound like something that will get thorough Australian customs.

::Crossing Jim of the list of posible gift givers::

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The piece of equipment will help me make it, what I'm making will make it through customs.

message 12: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I technically started a couple months ago when I found an Angels board game in a thrift store for my husband. Other than that, any Christmas shopping is going to be on hold until I find another job.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments >>I am hoping to make my gift<<

Now I wish I had signed up for Santa Swap. I'd love to have that homemade gift, whatever itis.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Christmas? I think Christmas should be like the Olympics... held every 4 years.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "Christmas? I think Christmas should be like the Olympics... held every 4 years."

Noooooooooo, then the office wouldn't close for Christmas, I'd only get a break every four years.

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't have to buy any christmas presents, except for the secret santa swap. sinterklaas presents all still need to be bought though, i got stuck with my brother so it's going to be tough. oh, and i have to figure out which insanely expensive book i'll ask my parents to buy for me for christmas.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "my gift for TC exchange is purchased and sitting in my office waiting to be sent"

I am so jealous Kevin. I need to make a special trip into the city to find what I..."

i am soooo excited to send my gift to my TC gift buddy that i can hardly wait. you know when you've got something really cool for someone...

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when is too early to send our gifts for the gift exchange?

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don´t think it should arrive before december. i´d want mine in the first week of december.

message 20: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I am hopeless! I used to be the person who had everything done by October. I made things for people and got special little somethings throughout the year ( I still do this). I have thought a bit about my gift exchange, but to be honest I have been focused on postcards and work. November and December are a probably my busiest, most demanding months of work, usually 50hrs+. I both love and despise this time of year.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I found the gift I would have given for the Santa Swap. Darn, it would have made such a great present.

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments The best time to buy Christmas presents is the day (or week) after Christmas. If people can't wait an extra day, then just save them to give next year.

message 23: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments NEVER! I HATE CHRISTMAS!

message 24: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments ok. ok. Not really. But it kind of bugs me.

message 25: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Oh who am I kidding?

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We're really only, what, seven, eight weeks from Christmas? Fair warning, people.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Shut up, you.

message 28: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "We're really only, what, seven, eight weeks from Christmas? Fair warning, people."

How dare you?

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments just finished my TC gift exchange package. i can't wait to send it.

message 30: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Dammit Kevin...don't rub it in!
I usually buy things throughout the year, then hide them, forget where I put them and who they are for, then spend the last 2 weeks before Christmas in a frustrated panic trying to sort it all out. You would think I'd get a better system...but no...not me. However I didn't do that this year, so I'll be trying to do all my shopping this month and next. I'm also going to bake a bunch of goodies and give them as gifts this year...it's just too hard to shop for all the adults in my husbands family.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've already bought some presents for the kids (nerf guns, RC Racers) and will buy more (including snuggies, on sale at Kohl's) today. Six weeks and two days to Christmas, people.

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I'm half-finished with my Christmas cards and can finally start planning for my Elfster gift, as we were notified today who our recipient will be. There are 27 people registered this year - far more than in past years. We play the Elfster game at our Christmas party and we have to guess who bought our gift. You don't get the gift until you guess correctly. Lots of fun.

message 33: by Kailey (new)

Kailey (lukutuokka) I spent to much time working retail through the christmas season to do christmas shopping. Plus I am a poverty stricken college student. So I bake people things for christmas. Last year all of my friends got their favorite pie.

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments >> Last year all of my friends got their favorite pie.<<

Oh to be a friend of yours. There's nothing like homemade apple pie.

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I started last month just sort of picking up various little stocking stuffers but have begun now in earnest.

message 36: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 5 comments I buy gifts all through the year, whenever I find something I think someone would like. But altogether pretty much everyone I know has stopped really giving huge or many gifts. I like it a lot better if you just get cookies or something someone really thought about.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments usually anytime after Dec.1st...we usually go shopping as a family: my sister in law,brother in law &me. that way we use only 1 car,less polution,less gas consumption