Cult Books & Miscellaneous discussion

Medley of Miscellany! > Cult TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
I geuss it is just part of my nature to want to find the lesser known quirky things out there, that will appeal to my kooky sensiblities and come to mean a lot to me. In the course of such exploits I have found quite a few tv shows that have done just that.

So please come share/discuss, and any suggestions/reccomendations of shows will be most thoroughly appreciated!

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
So to begin I was wondering if anyone had seen Freaks and Geeks
This was a show I discovered last year and fell immediately in love with it, it is just perfectly cast and perfectly funny/dramatic.
I still can't believe it only had one season, it's just so sad!

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
Naomi, I've seen the first four episodes of Freaks and Geeks, but stopped at that point. It hit just a little too close to home for me. I greatly admire the series and one day will probably go back to it.

Personally, I really enjoyed the show Wonderfalls. It only lasted, on air, about three episodes before it was cancelled, but you can see the entire (short lived) series on DVD.

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Personally, I really enjoyed the show Wonderfalls. It only lasted, on air, about three episodes before it was cancelled, but you can see the entire (short lived) series on DVD.
I saw this last year as well and really liked it! It was so deranged that it was brilliant, had a slightly French feel to it also, but this could have just been because the talking things reminded me of Amelie (love that film)!

message 5: by Naomi (last edited Nov 04, 2010 05:46PM) (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
I love Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Scripts, Volume 1! Bill Haverchuck is the greatest.

I would recommend My So-Called Life if anyone hasn't seen it (especially if you enjoy F + G).

I love Bill too and his peanut allergy, that scene where he gets drunk watching Dallas, and everyone else at the party is drinking fake beer, it's the best!

Love My So-Called Life! Love Brian! I can't believe it ended where it did, everytime I watch it I'm shocked all over again!

What about Pushing Daisies, I really liked it! Again it had the whole quirky French thing, and again it should not have ended where it did! I see somewhat of a theme emerging!

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
I adored Pushing Daisies as well! Both it and Wonderfalls were created by the same guy so that explains the similarities. Also the main actress from Wonderfalls is French/Canadian.

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Wow, I didn't know they were created by the same person that's awesome, and it certainly explains the similarities!

message 8: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Wow! I was just going to mention "Pushing Daisies"! Mr. Bunny and I have been watching the series on Dvd. We love it.

On that note, "My So-Called Life" is one of my favorite series. I own the set. It really impacted me as a teenager.

Did anyone watch "Dead Like Me"? Some of the people involved with "Pushing Daisies" had a hand in that.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
Raye, I did watch a few episodes of Dead Like Me. I figured since he (Bryan Fuller I believe) created Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies that I would love it. Yeah not so much. I really like the concept, but the lead actress left me cold. That's okay though. I've got my DVD copies of his other two shows to keep me company!

message 10: by Naomi (last edited Nov 05, 2010 01:24AM) (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Wow that is crazy, I just found out by the brilliance of IMDB that Brian Fuller did Dead Like Me too, and was just going to say that whilst in a way it did impact on my fourteen-year-old self, just because of the quirkiness of it all, something about it just didn't gel and I quickly lost interest.
How amazing is Brian Fuller though, to have come up with 3 such shows, but boy has he had a string of bad luck, you think someone would have realised his potential by now!

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
Most of my all time favorite TV series are by Joss Whedon: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. His series are full of quirky characters and real emotions, not to mention that they're just cool fun!

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
This is a British show so I don't know if any Americans would have heard of it but I'm really into the Misfits right now. The premise is this storm that gives lots of people these powers and it follows these group of teens that are doing community service that are thrown together by it, in theory it shouldn't really work, but it does!

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
I looked Misfits up...looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out on youtube.