Sweeping Sagas discussion

Individual Books > Southern Cross (Coleman)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone heard of this one? Claims to be a big ol' Australian saga. Thought it might be interesting to compare it to Fletcher's saga.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill No. But would be interested to read and compare. Let us know if you want to go ahead with it, Michele.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "No. But would be interested to read and compare. Let us know if you want to go ahead with it, Michele."

I picked it up today for .50 cents, LOL. So if anyone else finds an old copy and wants to read it, just give a shout-out and I'd be happy to!

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill My library doesn't have it - no surprise there. But I can order it but will take a while to get here. If you're interested, Michele what about next month?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "My library doesn't have it - no surprise there. But I can order it but will take a while to get here. If you're interested, Michele what about next month?"

Oh absolutely. Seeing that there are at least a couple of thousand books laying around this house, I can easily wait!

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Great. I'll order today so it should be here in plenty of time.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Is this the book your taking about Michele?
Southern Cross by Terry Coleman
If so I have a copy.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandi wrote: "Is this the book your taking about Michele?
Southern Cross by Terry Coleman
If so I have a copy."

Why yes, ma'am, it is. Things are shaping up nicely for another group read, lol.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Do either of you have a jacket blurb you'd mind banging out here so I can put it on the book page? Thanks.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

THEY CROSSED OCEANS AND CONTINENTS AND LOVED WITH A PASSION AS SPIRITED, BEAUTIFUL AND BOLD AS THE NEW AUSTRALIAN FRONTIER THEY FOUND......

Susannah King was the daughter of the English governor of the Australian colony. Nicolas Baudin was a French explorer. They found each other in a new land and forged a pure, passionate, perfect - and tragic - love affair.

Amid the turbulence and wonder of the emerging Australian nation, unfolds this towering story of a woman who found a magnificent love, a love that would tantalize all of her days and nights and shape not only her own life but the destiny of a nation....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

carpal tunnel syndrome now

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "carpal tunnel syndrome now"

You must perservere, you have no idea how often I do that for "the cause".

message 13: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments You might be interested to know that Nicolas Baudin was a real French explorer, who did a lot of mapping of the southern coast of Australia.

message 14: by Jill (last edited Nov 03, 2010 12:49AM) (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "You might be interested to know that Nicolas Baudin was a real French explorer, who did a lot of mapping of the southern coast of Australia."

I am interested to know that. I had no idea. I wonder if he was the guy that did a lot of mapping down here in Tasmania. There are a lot of French names. I'm going to check it out.

ETA: I must have been asleep during that history lesson, because it was indeed Baudin who did the explorations and named the D'Entrecasteaux Channel which is but a hop, skip and a jump from my place.

message 15: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments He did do some mapping down in Tassie. There is a beach named after on Kangaroo Island and there are areas that are named after members of his crew.

There's a bay in South Australia that is called Encounter Bay because that is where Baudin met up with the more well known Matthew Flinders.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill Okay, my copy of 'Southern Cross' arrived today.
Has a date been set for a group read?

message 17: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Mine came today too!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Whenever you all decide!

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "Whenever you all decide!"

Michele why don't you make the decision.
I'm ready whenever everyone else is to go with either 'Southern Cross' or 'Outback Station'next.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you guys want to get Outback Station out of the way first?

(I'm a bad decision maker, lol).

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "Do you guys want to get Outback Station out of the way first?

(I'm a bad decision maker, lol)."

Sure, I'll go with 'Outback Station'.
Just name a start date.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

How 'bout next week? Or does anyone want to wait for first week of December? We can read Southern Cross right after if you guys want....

message 23: by Jill (last edited Nov 25, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "How 'bout next week? Or does anyone want to wait for first week of December? We can read Southern Cross right after if you guys want...."

Next week suits me fine. Is that Monday 29 November?
And yes, I'd love to read SC straight after if that suits y'all.
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, Michele.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "Michele wrote: "How 'bout next week? Or does anyone want to wait for first week of December? We can read Southern Cross right after if you guys want...."

Next week suits me fine. Is that Monday ..."

Happy holidays to you, as well. As holidays go, I've always though Thanksgiving was one of America's more self-indulgent (despite it's name). ha.

Monday is good....I'll set up a group read discussion for it as soon as I get home!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey: are you okay with that? Can you fit these in? Or do you want us to space them out more? I started Revolution last night, but I think you'll find it a very, very fast read. The font is big, the page margins are HUGE so the pages just zip by!

message 26: by Misfit (new)

I can start Outback Station anytime, nothing is grabbing me at the moment. My moochee has acknowledged she'll send the book but hasn't mailed it yet :/

Man, I've been offline for two whole dies. The old dinosaur finally bit the dust Wednesday AM and the roads were too bad to be worth tackling. Got a lot of reading done though.

Now I have this fancy schmansy new Windows operating system. Can't figure out how to get to system settings to change my mouse to left click, nor find the freaking Outlook mail program. Grrrr.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "I can start Outback Station anytime, nothing is grabbing me at the moment. My moochee has acknowledged she'll send the book but hasn't mailed it yet :/

Man, I've been offline for two whole dies...."

Oh lordy, that'll keep you busy for some time now. We can wait on Southern Cross till you have your copy, for sure. No worries.

message 28: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments I think I can start Outback Station on Monday, I'll take it with me to work. Went out to Black Friday sales last night/this morning...it was fun but then I came home and wasted half the day napping! Haven't started Revolution yet but will this evening. Glad it is a fast read!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "I think I can start Outback Station on Monday, I'll take it with me to work. Went out to Black Friday sales last night/this morning...it was fun but then I came home and wasted half the day nappin..."

Whatd'ya get me? LOL.

message 30: by Misfit (new)

Well I remembered you at least. Hollick's Shadow of the King was still there and I picked it up. Price went down $.50 for Black Friday so I paid $1.48 with tax.

With no PC for two days I blew through three books and now have three reviews to write that I don't wanna write :/

message 31: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Video games for Christmas! Nieces & nephews don't want books, more's the pity.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "I can start Outback Station anytime, nothing is grabbing me at the moment. My moochee has acknowledged she'll send the book but hasn't mailed it yet :/

Man, I've been offline for two whole dies...."

Welcome back, Misfit. I wondered where you were.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "Well I remembered you at least. Hollick's Shadow of the King was still there and I picked it up. Price went down $.50 for Black Friday so I paid $1.48 with tax.

With no PC for two days I ble..."

oh boy oh boy oh boy.....I owe you lunch!

message 34: by Misfit (new)

I almost couldn't believe it when I spotted it.

You will have to pop in at the St. Vincent De Paul's next time you are in my neck of the woods, you might find some interesting buys there. Corner of Central Ave. and Kent Kangley.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "I almost couldn't believe it when I spotted it.

You will have to pop in at the St. Vincent De Paul's next time you are in my neck of the woods, you might find some interesting buys there. Corner..."

we have one in Port Orchard, too, come to think of it....

message 36: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Argh! I just worked out my reading schedule for the next few days. Off to change it again.

Have to say I just read Revolution, and LOVED it! Then again, I already knew I liked her writing.

message 37: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments I just finished Revolution on Sunday. I liked it but really LOVED her Rose books, can't wait for the third one...

message 38: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I have been waiting for the third Rose book for nearly 3 years! To say I have been anticipating it is an understatement.

I think that it is my most anticipated release of 2011.

message 39: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Got to meet her in New York last May at Book Expo America! She was so nice, it was great!

message 40: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments When we were doing Armchair BEA I had her sessions and signings down on the list as ones that I would have to attend.

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill Are we still going ahead with 'Southern Cross' on Wed 15 December? It's already Wednesday here and I didn't want to be reading alone. *sniff*

message 42: by Misfit (new)

Last I checked at Bookmooch (this morning) the person still hadn't mailed mine. You all start without me.

message 43: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I couldn't get this one. Sorry.

message 44: by Jill (new)

Jill Okay, until you all get your copies, I'll wait.
I've got a pile of library books to keep me busy.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too

message 46: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "Me too"

Yeah, and tomorrow your pile is going to get even bigger :p

Off to check out the menu...

message 47: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Oh good, glad to postpone...I'm behind as usual!!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Oh good, glad to postpone...I'm behind as usual!!"

Ain't that the truth....for me, anyways. I still haven't read Clara and Mr. Tiffany yet. Oh well.

message 49: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Can start that one on Friday, if you want!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Can start that one on Friday, if you want!"

Sure, that sounds good. As soon as Misfit gets Giant from the library, I'll start in on that one, too. You have a copy of that laying around (of course you do, look who I'm asking, lol)?

« previous 1