Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Group Reads -- DECEMBER: The Iron King - JANUARY: Mind Games

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Nov 05, 2010 04:50PM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) With the holidays coming up, I'm going to do the Group Read Nomination and Vote a little earlier than usual. We'll take the first 10 book title nominations and I'll split them up in to two groups of five in the Polls. The winner from each group will be our Group Read for December and January.

The rules for submitting a book title:
1) One submission per UF member (regardless of whether we are nominating for more than one month at a time).
2) Please submit the title, author, and a brief description of the book.
3) UF titles are preferred, but Supernatural, Sci-Fi, PNR, and Fantasy are acceptable too.
4a) It must be the first book in a series or a stand-alone title. If the title is in a series, but can be read without previous knowledge of the earlier books, feel free to submit it.
4b) If we have already read and discussed the first book in the series as a group, the second title can be submitted, etc.

You can view our Group Read History here.

We'll go to a total of 10 nominations or an end date of Saturday, November 6th - whichever comes first.

Please start nominating titles... and newcomers, please don't be shy - we would love to hear from you!

---

DECEMBER:
1. Blood Cross by Faith Hunter
2. Child of Fire by Harry Connolly
3. Midnight Reflections by Katrina Michaels
4. Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco
5. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

JANUARY:
6. Grimspace by Ann Aguirre
7. Ash by Malinda Lo
8. Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane
9. Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I'm going to nominate Blood Cross by Faith Hunter. This is Book 2 in the Faith Hunter series... we read Book 1 (Skinwalker) as a group in February 2010.

Here is the book summary from GoodReads:
The vampire council has hired skinwalker Jane Yellowrock to hunt and kill one of their own who has broken sacred ancient rules-but Jane quickly realizes that in a community that is thousands of years old, loyalties run deep...

With the help of her witch best friend and local vigilantes, Jane finds herself caught between bitter rivalries - and closer than ever to the secret origin of the entire vampire race. But in a city of old grudges and dark magic, Jane will have to fight to protect both sides, even if no one will protect her.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I will go with Child of Fire by Harry Connolly.

Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly Ray Lilly is living on borrowed time. He’s the driver for Annalise Powliss, a high-ranking member of the Twenty Palace Society, a group of sorcerers devoted to hunting down and executing rogue magicians. But because Ray betrayed her once, Annalise is looking for an excuse to kill him–or let someone else do the job.

Unfortunately for both of them, Annalise’s next mission goes wrong, leaving her critically injured. With the little magic he controls, Ray must complete her assignment alone. Not only does he have to stop a sorcerer who’s sacrificing dozens of innocent lives in exchange for supernatural power, he must find–and destroy–the source of that inhuman magic.

message 4: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 02, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I'm going nominate Midnight Reflections!

All Tara Daston wanted was a fun night out dancing with her boyfriend. Getting killed was certainly the last thing she ever expected and waking back up three days later as a vampire was the last thing she ever wanted. And just when she finally begins adjusting to her new life, a friend is killed by a creature nobody can identify. At first, she tries to move on because, after all, she's just a newly risen vampire who was still trying to learn about existing as the undead. But despite it all, she can't stop thinking about her friend. As more killings happen, she realizes that she can't ignore it any longer. Deciding to investigate a little, she meets Tom Duncan, the lead agent of the Preternatural Investigation Agency, who is not amused at her interference. Whether it's because they are both vampires or because he keeps treating her as if she's five years old, but Tara really enjoys riling the agent. Also, now that she's gotten involved, she doesn't want to stop. And when the killer notices her and is intrigued, she no longer has any choice, forcing her to work together with Tom and the rest of the agency to stop the murders.

Midnight Reflections (Preternatural Investigation Agency, #1) by Katrina Michaels

message 5: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments I'll nominate The Iron King by Julie Kagawa.

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 6: by Lisa M (last edited Nov 03, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I'll nominate Grimspace. From what I've heard, it's technically a Sci-Fi, but is written in a style favored by a lot of UF/PNR authors. Several people in this group have mentioned liking this series.

As the carrier of a rare gene, Sirantha Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. Then a crash landing kills everyone on board, leaving Jax in a jail cell with no memory of the crash. But her fun's not over. A group of rogue fighters frees her…for a price: her help in overthrowing the established order.

Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ash by Malinda Lo
In the wake of her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, re-reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash’s capacity for love—and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.

Entrancing and romantic, Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief

Ash by Malinda Lo

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 51 comments I don't know if it may be a little soon to nominate this one, but I thought I'd give it a try, as I really liked Unholy Ghosts:

Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts #2) by Stacia Kane

Goodreads description:
For Chess Putnam, finding herself near-fatally poisoned by a con psychic and then stopping a murderous ghost is just another day on the job. As an agent of the Church of Real Truth, Chess must expose those looking to profit from the world’s unpleasant little poltergeist problem—humans filing false claims of hauntings—all while staving off any undead who really are looking for a kill. But Chess has been extra busy these days, coping with a new “celebrity” assignment while trying on her own time to help some desperate prostitutes.

Someone’s taking out the hookers of Downside in the most gruesome way, and Chess is sure the rumors that it’s the work of a ghost are way off base. But proving herself right means walking in the path of a maniac, not to mention standing between the two men in her life just as they—along with their ruthless employers—are moving closer to a catastrophic showdown. Someone is dealing in murder, sex, and the supernatural, and once again Chess finds herself right in the crossfire.

Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (readingfairytales) I'd like to nominate Mind Games by Carolyn Crane.

Mind Games follows the adventures of Justine Jones, a hopeless hypochondriac who longs to be normal. Instead, she is recruited to join a psychological hit squad in a city terrorized by criminals with strange powers…only to fall for her most dangerous target!

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Nominations are now closed.

The Polls are up... go vote! :)

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Voting is now complete. Here are the winners:

DECEMBER:
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

JANUARY:
Mind Games by Carolyn Crane