What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Picture Book Toddler's First Haircut

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments I'm looking for an older picture book - I'm guessing it was published somewhere between 1940 and 1960.

It is about a very young boy (maybe two years old) who has never had a haircut, because his mother loves his curls and can't bear to cut them off. I seem to remember that the little boy is the youngest in a large family, and has either twin brothers or twin sisters.

Eventually, people start mistaking him for a girl, and the mom decides it is time to get the little boy's hair cut. She takes him in to the barber, and in the end, his beautiful curls are on the floor, but everyone loves his new cut, and loves that he now 'looks like a boy'.

It is NOT Mop Top by Don Freeman. Any ideas?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
lol Michelle, no idea what this is, but if we DO find out, I'll have to get a copy for my oldest nephew (now 40+) who had something similar happen to him. Except it was my sister-in-law's GRANDMOTHER who wouldn't let anyone cut his beautiful white blond curls.

He finally handled the problem himself--he went up to his great-grandmother's bedroom, took out her scissors and cut a big hunk of hair out of the center of his head, then walked down the stairs making the statement, "now you HAVE to get my hair cut so no one will think I'm a girl any more."
I don't know if he will remember this or not, since I think he was about 3 or 4 when it happened, but I'm sure that my brother and sister-in-law would love it.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments Bookbegger - thanks for the ideas, but neither of those was it, I'm afraid. I've gotten a few other ideas on another site, but none have panned out so far. A couple of the suggestions are out of print, unavailable through my library, and proving hard to track down, but I'm having fun trying.

Ann - I'll certainly post back if I find it!

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Michelle, are you still looking for this book?

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments I still haven't found it, and would love to. I suspect it is long out of print.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Michelle--if you bump your thread once a month or so, it will keep it in the forefront of people's brains. So if someone DOES come across it, then they will be able to find your thread easier.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Michelle--if you bump your thread once a month or so, it will keep it in the forefront of people's brains. So if someone DOES come across it, then they will be able to find your thread easier.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Michelle, are you still looking for this book?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Joel Gets a Haircut? 1952.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/joel-ge...

"A country boy goes into the city to get his haircut."

You can see several illustrations here.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/24404075/joe...

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Michelle, are you still looking for this book?"

No response in 5 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments I have not found it and would still love to, but have given up actively looking. Abandoned status is fine with me. Thanks!