One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

Archive 1.0 - VR, BR, & MBOM > The Luxe (November)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Talk about The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen in this topic.

message 2: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments I'm looking forward to reading this book. I just borrowed a history book about America in the Victorian period. I always like reading a fiction book too because it seems to bring the period more "alive" than a non-fiction.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 315 comments i grabbed this from the library last night, so might get to it this weekend (not sure...), but i have next week off work which means lots of good reading time

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Dee, did you ever read a book called Dragonwyck? I think it's set in roughly that time period, but in upstate New York. Supposed to be gothic in tone. I have it on request from the library.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 315 comments name and description don't sound familiar...so probably not

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 315 comments has anyone started this yet? i'm hoping to get to it sometime today (or at least start it0

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments I'm about a fourth of the way through. Just to warn you, it's fairly typical of a lot of historicals. A slow starter for about the first 50 pages, give or take.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 315 comments cool...thanks for the heads up...lol! I should finish up the book i'm reading in a couple of hours; do some schoolwork (ugh) and then start Luxe

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments It's not that it's a bad book, but so far it's not feeling "historical". With the exception of the clothing and houses, it feels like a modern book with modern sensibilities. Think Pretty Little Liars 1890's.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 315 comments I had to return it to the libary (someone else wanted it...) - so I took it back yesterday, i might try again...I know my library has it in audiobook format, so might go that route