Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Compulsory Voting-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gail says that in Australia if you don't vote you get fined. What do you think? Pros and cons?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments nay. do you really think people would look into what they're voting for? no uninformed voters please.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think everyone who votes should get a lotto ticket.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Sorry, RA, I'm too complacent to vote on this issue.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments fines Jonathan

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that would help. if they read it.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I agree with janine, if they are uninformed, I would just as soon that they not vote. What I don't like is some one who doesn't vote, and then complains about everything. They had the right to voice an opinion via voting but chose not to make the effort required, and it usually takes such a small effort to make an informed choice.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There was an article on one of my morning sites today entitled "If You Don't Vote Today Whatever Happens Is Your Fault." I approve that message.

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Barb wrote: "janine wrote: "nay. do you really think people would look into what they're voting for? no uninformed voters please."

Ah yes, but what if with every voter registration card came with some sort o..."

but who would write this and would it be biased one way or another? I also agree with Janine that we should not have more uninformed voters. In fact, being a naturalized citizen, I believe that American voters need to be more educated on the government, constitution, etc. Voting is a right that people are willing to die for in other countries and Americans are apathetic.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "There was an article on one of my morning sites today entitled "If You Don't Vote Today Whatever Happens Is Your Fault." I approve that message."

I second that approval.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Uninformed voters are why ballot questions tend to always pass. People in doubt vote yes.
I'm wondering whether enough people in Maryland will vote for a constitutional convention, since that involves more than just a majority.

message 12: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments yes, more people would educate themselves, but there would still be a lot of uninformed voters. there should be another way to get people to educate themselves.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Maybe there should be a waiver that would involve writing out and signing a statement that says "I am unwilling to educate myself about my choices as a citizen. It is my choice to remain stupid and powerless."

message 14: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments On one hand I say yay but I don't want uninformed people voting either. I'm torn. If only people would realize how important and what a privilege it is to be able to vote. Just look at the people in Iraq and how excited and proud they were to hold up that inked finger for a picture! The hub and I will be vote this evening when he gets home from work tonight. And it might sound cheesy but I actually get excited to get the little "I Voted!" sticker. :-)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Compulsory voting? Nay. In fact, I'd say that maybe we should have compulsory testing to determine whether or not a person should be allowed to vote.

message 16: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments There are many reasons for not voting. (I've already voted--I am speaking in general terms here!)

I have heard from the the opinion that voting does not help because there is usually little or no difference between your option in candidates.

I think they qaulity people we would LIKE to have as candidates take one look at the mess in Washington and say, Not me! I won;t subject my family to that.

But I oppose compulsory voting. Yes, you could could probably make every one turn in a ballot--but those who do not want to vote would just vote at random for anything. We have enough informed voters as it is.

I do not know how to motivate people in this regard--since voting is, as Bun stated, so easyto do, I can see not reason for not voting.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Even if there's no difference between candidates - which can hardly be true - a vote can still do something. You can vote for a third party at that point, to send a message, or to allow them to stay on the ballot (I know people who are voting Green today to give them the 1% they need to stay on the MD ballot in the future). Even if you don't care for either candidate, you can vote for one party over the other, because it will shift or maintain power in the House or the Senate or in your state government.

message 18: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Nay. People have just as much a right not to vote than they do to vote.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments In this country, I see voting as a kind of speech, and as we have freedom of speech, or to NOT speak, I say nay to compulsory voting.

I do wish more people would vote, though. It does make a difference, especially in local politics.

message 20: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Actually, I do agree that all SHOULD vote--I was just noting the "it makes no difference" is one of the excuses I've heard.

I do not want compulsory voting but if any ways could be found to motivate people to vote, I would be interested in knowing them.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24363 comments Mod
Gatorman wrote: "Nay. People have just as much a right not to vote than they do to vote."

I agree. I also think people who do not vote are absolutely pathetic. Many of us are dissatisfied with both/all choices when we go to vote, but we still do it because it's part of being a citizen. I find it completely bewildering. Even if you are utterly ignorant, never pay attention to the news or the issues - you could still, at the last minute, read a few newspaper editorials and endorsements and decide which candidates you are more inclined to agree with. You can always write in candidates.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sometimes I think Australia's in another dimension.

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My apologies Bunwat. I didn't see your reply. I was upset about something and deleted my comment.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I do wish more people would vote, though. It does make a difference, especially in local politics."

I agree. And something I wouldn't mind to see be made compulsory is instant runoff voting. It might help third party candidates have a legitimate chance of being more than spoilers and it might help avoid insane recounts like we're going to have here (again) in Minnesota.

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Compulsory voting? No. Mandatory drug use and sodomy? Absolutely.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Compulsory voting works well in Australia (you guys could seriously use it). If you introduced mandatory drug use & sodomy you would take all the fun out of the activity. Or is that your purpose Ken?

The assumption that the people voting are more informed than those not voting is a riot. They might have an opinion, but that doesn't guarantee they are informed.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Compulsory voting works well in Australia (you guys could seriously use it). If you introduced mandatory drug use & sodomy you would take all the fun out of the activity. Or is that your purpose Ke..."

Oh, they’ll still be good enough. And it’s a genuine civic improvement when the population is completely fucked in every sense.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

...and probably better for the environment. :)

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Xacto knife.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Uninformed voters are why ballot questions tend to always pass. People in doubt vote yes.
I'm wondering whether enough people in Maryland will vote for a constitutional convention, since that invol..."

Sarah this is why ballot forms don't get passed in Australia. The reality is is that the uninformed voters vote "No".

message 31: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Nay. If I was forced to vote I'd purposely ruin the ballot paper. Over here in Britain, our politicians are a bunch of liars and swindlers fiddling their expenses claims. What sane person wants to vote for crooks like that?

message 32: by Angel (new)

Angel Martinez (angelmartinez) | 30 comments Please. Fines? People in the US don't even pay their parking tickets. We'd never be able to enforce such a measure.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Nay. The last thing I want is people who rely on Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck for their information being legally required to vote.