Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies over 3 hrs in length

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tentatively, (last edited Jul 18, 2008 09:40PM) (new)

Tentatively, Convenience (tentativelyaconvenience) Hi,

I've just joined this group partially in the hope that I might meet people w/ above average attn spans. I'm in the midst of witnessing Peter Watkins' 5:45:00 "La Commune" from 2000 about the May 1871 Paris Commune that set up a revolutionary society in the turbulent wake of the Franco-Prussian War. I'm experiencing it like a bk in the sense that I'm screening it in bits & pieces for myself & then taking a break. I've gone thru roughly the 1st 3:15:00 of it so far. Is anyone else here familiar w/ it? Or w/ Watkins' work in general?

By way of introduction, I've been a film & video maker for the last 34 yrs & I partially support myself as a projectionist. As such, I witness an extraordinary amt of movies.

I choose the word "movies" over medium-specific words like film or video precisely b/ it's NON-medium-specific &, as such, an 'all'-inclusive term. I choose to use frequent abbreviations b/c, as I like to say: TTQEA (Thoughts-Too-Quick,Expressions-Anachronistic).

Any Watkins enthusiasts out there? I think "La Commune" is sheer genius.

message 2: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I have not seen LA COMMUNE but thought PUNISHMENT PARK and WAR GAMES were genius. I'll have to check it out.

message 3: by Tentatively, (new)

Tentatively, Convenience (tentativelyaconvenience) Yep, I absolutely LOVE "Punishment Park". As someone who was a long-haired political dissident in the early 1970s, I found the trial scene to be an amazingly accurate depiction of the subculture clashes / "generation gap" of that era. "War Games" (1963), too, of course, was the pioneering anti-nuclear-war film that was before "The Day After" (1983) & "Threads" (1984).

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 51 comments I'm not sure if this makes the three hour mark, but Wyatt Earp felt that long... When I was younger my mom and I ordered it on pay per view and whenever we ordered we would tape the movie in case we really liked it. Well this was like some sort of sentence. We felt obligated to sit and watch it since we had paid for it, but it was awful. I don't remember details because I think I've blocked them out, but any time I hear the name I still cringe.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Reds comes to mind. A wonderful movie but one I am not likely to sit through again. Same with Ghandi

message 6: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I just watched PATTON last night. Wonderful film that runs about three hours. Anyone seen Bela Tarr's SATANTANGO? It has a 7 1/2 hour runtime.

message 7: by Tentatively, (new)

Tentatively, Convenience (tentativelyaconvenience) ..& now I watched Peter Watkins' 1974 "Edvard Munch" - 3 hrs & 40 minutes. I've never been much of a Munch enthusiast & I'm still not after checking out this movie. I felt the same way after witnessing Watkins' epic on Strindberg. In fact, after the Strindberg one, "The Freethinker", I had very little interest in ever reading or seeing a performance of anything by Strindberg.

However, in Munch's case, I will take a closer look at his paintings if I ever run across the opportunity to do so. I never realized, eg, that he worked the surface of them the way he did.

As usual w/ Watkins, he applied some somewhat experimental editing strategies to this Munch bio by having frequent flashbacks to formative tragic events in Munch's life: specifically the coughing up of blood characteristic of the TB that killed off Munch's mom & sister & almost killed Munch himself. There're also frequent nature shots of skies & water that have vivid 'unnatural' colors that Munch was so roundly criticized for using.

It seems that Munch was widely hated by critics throughout most or all of his life. &, yet, he persevered. That, alone, is enuf to make me like & respect him. His work is powerfully psychological - but, even though I share his morbidity, I still wish he'd lightened up! There's more to life than misery & alienation.

Anyway, as w/ all Watkins movies, this is great & ambitious. It wd be interesting to contrast it to a more PBS style biopic of Munch - if there is such a thing.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Alex Patton is a good show to see every so often.

Do musicals count?
I love the movie Lagann: Once apon a time in India.

It has music and singing in it but not all the time. I believe it is 3hrs perhaps a little short. It is a great show on people standing up together. Also if you love or like cricket... this is a movie for you as the main part of the movie is covering a game between the English and the anglo Indian people!

message 9: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I've been wanting to see EDVARD MUNCH but I read a review that avered the poor quality of the DVD presentation. You have inspired me to rent it anyway! I have a print of Vampire in my living room: it has always moved me and made me feel sad and introverted.