Q&A with Erick Setiawan discussion

Perseverance

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marley (new)

Marley (marleyyy) | 1 comments Mr. Setiawan,
Your book has inspired me so completely. But I need advice. I am an aspiring author (isn't everyone?) and my biggest problem is that I can't seem to focus. I have too many ideas jumbling around in my brain and have a zillion different projects going at once. How did you persevere through the times when you didn't feel like continuing, lost all steam, and just wanted to throw the towel in? Everyday life can be so distracting. Any tips, or does it come easier to you than it does for me?

message 2: by Erick (new)

Erick Setiawan | 19 comments Mod
If it's any consolation, it doesn't come any easier to me, Marley, but that is what being a writer is about . . . persevering despite all the odds, isolating yourself at the expense of being with people, and focusing on the words in front of you when all you want to do is quit and drink yourself silly at the nearest bar. And all this isn't going to go away after you've become published (trust me, it only gets harder). One advice I can offer is keep your focus small. If you can't see the book in its entirety yet, then start with a character. If you can't see the character as a whole yet, then why not start with a sentence? Sometimes a good sentence is all it takes to unlock more.

I agree that it is hard, if not impossible at times. But writers are masochists in a way. Those who don't give up tend to see their dreams realized.

Best of luck,
Erick