Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED The Secret of Chimneys - February 2011 BOM

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4630 comments Mod
For January 2011 - The Secret of Chimneys, published 1925. Features Anthony Cade and Superintendent Battle.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

I've had to order this book on Amazon. Every used bookstore I went to didn't have it!

message 3: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I have just ordered it as well and for just one penny!!... I love Amazon! ;o)

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

I buy from Amazon all the time because of the 1 cent deals.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

We're moving this book to February because we just found out Poirot Investigates is the next book in the series. Sorry about that!

message 6: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I've started it yesterday :o)

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Great Deni - I'm so bad, I still have to finish January's book but I had over 10 books due between 02/04 and 02/08 that I've just been reading library books. After the 8th, I'll read them both.

message 8: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments I read it in December when I had a library at hand :p At first I thought I wouldn't like it but then while reading I got more and more into it and it was soooo good. And the best thing was that the story was completely new to me as I haven't read it before (I used to 'discard' all books which didn't have Poirot or Miss Marple as a detective).
But then I still need to read Poirot Investigates, which I couldn't get in December and again, somehow I managed to skip this book so it's all new and waiting for me to discover it :p hehehe

message 9: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 10, 2011 07:36PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Cannot find "chimneys" unless I buy it. Ideas? You all got the 1 cent deal.

message 10: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments Hmm, I usually get books from here http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/... (that's the English version but on US site the book seems to cost more :S) the prices are not THAT low as u mentioned but living outside English speaking world very often that's the cheapest I can get. Good luck!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Came into the library on a 10 C.D pack so guess I will listen to it. Have not really listened to anything other than my music . Migh be great.

I am totally on the Fossum kick. On book 5 now.
I suppose she is everywhere there? Little devil never quite ends all the story and makes you wonder what else happened.
Also staring The Devil of Nanking.

message 12: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments Oh, I think listening to a book is great as long as the voice of the reader is not an obstacle - meaning bearable. I myself am not able to listen to female voices :p
I want to try the radio recordings, which is like a sort of drama performed on the radio. I think it may be really nice, but I'm not sure if the text is not adapted to this form, meaning abridged. I would expect so, but nevertheless, it can be fun!

message 13: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I've just finished it!. Some weeks ago, I watch a movie called The secret of Chimneys in ITV, so I thought I knew what the plot was going to be, but it turned out that it was completely different, which was perfect for me.

I have mixed feelings about this book, I seem to have 'grown up' a bit and now I can see things that I couldn't see when I read Christie's books before, such as the 'casual racism' that seems to be present in all the books we've read so far.

Also the quick way people seem to fall in love in those days... it took my husband months before he told me that he loved me and here they are falling in love and getting married within days! :oD

But, as usual, the plot is brilliant, so I want to think that everything else is just a product of the times those books were written... I can't wait to read the books written in the 60's!!

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Deni you are absolutely right. Her racist comments would be so inappropriate today and the class system that prevailed was so far from our ways.( At least I hope it is with all of us). I must say I can hear some of the racists comments coming from my grandparents not necessarily malicious, it was just the way it was. I love most of her mysteries but do prefer her 6 novels that are not mysteries. Her incite into how humans feel in these books are so ahead of her time.

message 15: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've finished, and to be honest, this one wasn't a favorite of mine. I disliked Virginia Revel almost instantly, as she seemed so smug.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

This book will be the book of the month for February 2018. Here is a link to that discussion. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.