What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > juvenile: boy called Pug and ghost boy

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I've been trying to make a list of all the books I've read with ghosts in them.

Either I didn't finish this one, or it wasn't very memorable. I can't remember when I read it, but I figure before 1985.

All I can remember is:

- The main character's family called him Pug.

- There was a ghost boy.

- When the ghost boy heard the nickname, he commented "Repugnant."

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments In Neil Gaiman's short story "October in the Chair," a young boy whose family calls him Runt has adventures with a ghost boy in a graveyard. The story led Gaiman to write The Graveyard Book, though I don't remember Runt appearing in that one. The short story seems like a possible match though...

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments If the book Leela is looking for was something she read before 1985, then "October in the Chair" is probably out; it's from 2003 if Wikipedia is correct. (Though Wikipedia also claims that Gaiman had the idea for The Graveyard Book in 1985, it wasn't published until much later.)

message 4: by Leela4 (last edited Nov 02, 2010 11:27AM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments No, the name is definitely Pug. I was young enough that, while I knew what "repugnant" meant, I couldn't imagine why anyone would be called Pug. I don't think the author ever did explain. That's why this bit stuck in my mind when I've forgotten almost everything else about the story.

I think the ghost boy's line in the story was "Did I hear them call you Pug? Repugnant!"

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments Found it on Loganberry books...
The Ghost of Dibble Hollow The Ghost of Dibble Hollow by May Nickerson Wallace
Out of the graveyard comes a ghost--the ghost of ten-year-old Miles Dibble. "I've been waiting a long time for you to come to Dibble Hollow, Cousing," he tells Pug. "Now you must help me find that lost money."

message 6: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Wonderful, Deborah! I'm going to assume that's it. The cover looks a little familiar and, although nothing else strikes a chord, the description sounds like just the sort of thing that would have grabbed me. I'll have to do some hunting.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments LeeLa, I see you've chosen our POSSIBLY SOLVED folder. Does that mean that we should hold off on shelving it?

message 8: by Leela4 (last edited Nov 04, 2010 03:08PM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Hm, what's the purpose of the shelf? The reviews of the book are "loved it" "loved it" "loved it" but for me it doesn't trigger any memories, which suggests either I didn't finish it or it's not THAT great. So if the shelf is "books we've found for people", no, not until I'm more certain. If it's "books people have wanted found", someone's bound to ask eventually. If it's "books people have remembered years later", the reviews would suggest yes.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments The bookshelves are for book searches group members have found for other members, so it sounds as though we should hold off for now.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Bumping this thread in "Possibly Solved." Leela4, are you any closer to knowing if that was your book?