Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Non- Fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:05PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Some Non-Fiction books I read... A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer The Lost Boy A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family by Dave Pelzer A Man Named Dave A Story of Triumph and Forgiveness by Dave Pelzer All fantastic, gut wrenching and eye opening reads.

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 01, 2010 11:23PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I have a weird mini-obsession with polygamy (no, I don't want to be in a plural marriage) because it just seems so bizarre that people would choose the lifestyle.

This book was very eye opening and I was awed at this woman's fight to flee the compound along with 7 (or was it 8?) children (one of whom was severely disabled).

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Stacia (wickedly wordy) wrote: "I have a weird mini-obsession with polygamy (no, I don't want to be in a plural marriage) because it just seems so bizarre that people would choose the lifestyle.

This book was very eye opening ..."

This is a subject I would love to read more about as well, Stacia. Not weird at all... It's the bizarre of the lifestyle that captures our interest.

message 4: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Stacia (impatient for Shadowfever) wrote: "I have a weird mini-obsession with polygamy (no, I don't want to be in a plural marriage) because it just seems so bizarre that people would choose the lifestyle.

This book was very eye opening ..."

Stacia, have you read Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs? It is the a very popular book at the bookstore where I work. We can't keep it on the shelves!

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 04, 2011 01:15PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I have. I've also read The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams , which was fiction. I liked both of the non-fiction books (Escape and Stolen Innocence) better than the fiction one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This one looks like it could be good Confessions of a Prairie Bitch How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim . I added it to a reading challenge so I could branch out from fiction a little bit.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments Stacia (impatient for Shadowfever) wrote: "This one looks like it could be good Confessions of a Prairie Bitch How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim. I added it to a reading challenge so I could ..."

i plan on reading that one too. Let me know what you think of it.