Hipinion discussion

um... fantasy/magical realism recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Brian (guidedbywire) > One Hundred Days of Solitude

Is that the abridged version?

message 2: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Ben (deadwolfbones) | 88 comments Mod
LeGuin's fantasy stuff is all YA, so if that bothers you I'd avoid it. That said, it's very good, so if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Allende is pretty good for Latin American magical realism a la Marquez. Eva Luna and House of the Spirits are both good reads. I've heard that Alvaro Mutis (The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll) and Guillermo Cabrera Infante (Three Trapped Tigers) are also very good--I have them but haven't read them.

You might like Jonathan Carroll. He writes sort of middle American magical realism. Tim Powers is another.

Then there are people like Gene Wolfe and Kelly Link, who are just plain weird. Wolfe's Book of the New Sun isn't really fantasy or magical realism, but it verges on both and it's my favorite book ever.

message 3: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments its pretty dated but clive barker's fantasy work is top notch.
also, yeah keep going with the latin americans.
also i'd jump from sandman to animal man and get down with grant morrison promptly.
or at least fables.

message 4: by Christian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Christian | 8 comments The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll is excellent and a perfect summer read.

Carlos Fuentes is a Mexican writer worth checking out - his epic, Terra Nostra, is a mind-bending, somewhat historical examination of New/Old World spirituality.

Rushdie also fits in with magical realism. Midnight Children or Satanic Verses would be good starting points.

message 5: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Ben (deadwolfbones) | 88 comments Mod
Christian, have you read Fuentes' Crystal Frontier? I almost bought it the other day on name recognition alone.

message 6: by Christian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Christian | 8 comments I haven't, only Terra Nostra and ...Artemio Cruz.

message 7: by Chris (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Chris davies | 19 comments I'm reading The Sword Of Shannara atm and i am really enjoying it which i never expected to. I took originally to be a LOTR clone but theres a strong post-apocalyptic undercurrent that runs through the book and gives it as certain..edge

message 8: by Naomi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Naomi (gnomesb) Paulo Coelho is fairly mag/realist though with a heavy spiritualist message - my fav of his is 'veronika decides to die' though just finished 'eleven minutes' and remembered why I like him.

Also, Laura Esquivel 'like water for chocolate'is beautifully written though I found her other books a little too out there for me (though she provided a sound track to go with one of them which I enjoyed immensely - she cued in play track # and get up and dance).

Joanna Harris (Chocolat fame) has written some fantastic mystical/foodie books. Blackberry wine, Chocolat and the new one lollipop shoes. I found her other ones a little formulaic.

message 9: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Rebecca gnomesb, do you actually post on hipinion?

message 10: by Naomi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Naomi (gnomesb) Rebecca, I just wandered in here. Should I just wander out???

message 11: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Rebecca well i was just curious, because the kind of books you mentioned dont really get discussed over there.

message 12: by Emma (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Emma | 1 comments For more "latin" magical realism, I strongly recommend Jorge Luis Borges. STRONGLY :).
Another book I have a feeling you would delight in is Midnight's Children (Rushdie).

Le Guin, John varley, and James Tiptree Jr. are 3 of my favorite sci fi writers.

message 13: by Eric (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Eric | 3 comments would kafka be a stretch

message 14: by Andrew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Andrew | 7 comments how about the master and margarita

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with Emma and I strongly rec Jorge Luis Borges. Start with The Aleph, if you can. I read the first story and it blew my mind. After it I became a total Borges fangirl.

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo is also pretty damn great. Oh, and try Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

message 16: by neil (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

neil (nocents) | 2 comments I'd really recommend Salman Rushdie - read Midnight's Children or Satanic Verses first. They're similar in feel to Garcia Marquez and a hell of a lot of fun.

Midnight's Children basic plot/teaser - everyone born in India within the first hour of its independence has special powers. The ones born closer to midnight have incredibly strong powers, like telepathy, the ones further away have silly sleight of hand type powers. There's a lot of political and family conflict in India, and it's a ton of fun. There's a reason this won the "Booker of Bookers" (those who give out the Man Booker Prize, Britain's Pulitzer, decided this was the best novel to win the Booker).

Satanic Verses - two guys on a flight from Bombay to London fall out of a plane over the English Channel. One slowly turns into a devil (sprouting horns, hooves, shitting everywhere) but is actually a nice guy. The other turns into an angel (developing a halo, making women swoon, etc.) but is actually not so great. The angel character has nightmares of the time when Islam was founded and feels involved in the story, feeding misinformation to Mohammad. Some other crazy subplots, including one with a guy trying to get an ocean to part for him.

Also, someone said Carlos Fuentes - great choice. I really like his "The Death of Artemio Cruz."