Hard Case Crime discussion

Hard Boiled Crime Book Club

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 14 comments The annoyed reader writes . . .

I received in the mail today what I took to be the latest shipment from the Hard Case Crime Book Club. Having lost track of what HCC book might be coming next (and unsure of whether there were any more coming from Dorchester at all), I opened the package with some sense of excitement . . . and I was much surprised to find a copy of a ten-year-old Sunny Randall novel by Robert B. Parker.

Looking at the enclosed invoice (no money due, of course--they've already taken my $5.99), I was surprised to see that I am now a member of something called the Hard Boiled Crime Book Club.

Was I warned that they were going to do this to me? I don't know--I don't usually look at the fine print when they send me a new book. But in any case: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Is this Hard Boiled Crime club part of Dorchester? I'm confused.

message 3: by David (new)

David | 14 comments It appears to be.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Thanks! I've sent them a notice to cancel my subscription. I hate it when they switch stuff without telling me. I don't want trade sized books, either.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy | 67 comments I haven't received anything like that myself. Sounds like they might be clearing out a stock of mass market paperbacks on hand.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Dorchester told me they did automatically switch folks from the HCC to the Hard Boiled Club. The book that just shipped is an MMP &, when the HCC books come out, Dorchester is supposed to be able to sell them. In the meantime, they'll be sending the Hard Boiled books. I canceled my membership, although I'll keep an eye on their offerings.

The CS lady I spoke to didn't seem to understand nor be interested in my objections to being switched from one book club to another.

message 7: by Randy (last edited Nov 02, 2010 09:46AM) (new)

Randy | 67 comments Don't think I'm interested here either. In the case of the Sunny Randall, that's old news.As I suspect all their offerings will be.

They haven't sent me anything, nor I suspect will they. I haven't given out my card number to them, sending instead a check each month. Sending me a book like they did you wouldn't get them any money(I would consider it a free item since I didn't sign up for the Hardboiled).

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Maybe you keeping the book for free will make them understand that bait & switch isn't a proper marketing technique. Besides calling them, I sent them an email last night. I received an email reply not long ago. They still don't get it. They should have sent out a notice BEFORE automatically switching clubs & all on me. I didn't authorize that & it plain ticks me off they take it for granted that I would.

Here's the email they sent me:

Jim,

As of August 2010, Dorchester Publishing stopped printing mass market paperbacks and so the Hard Case Crime line had to find another publisher. Titan Publishing is based in London and has contracted to publish the Hard Case Crime Line going forward.

The changes came about suddenly at Dorchester and so our book club team had to scramble to find selections from other publishers to fill our book club needs. Specific to the Hard Case Crime Club, the Hard Case Crime editor worked with our club director to hand pick crime books that our members would enjoy. When the next Hard Case Crime books are published in September of 2011 it is our intention to include them in our Crime Book Club. An explanation will be mailing in the November club shipment.

In reviewing your account we see that you called in today to cancel your membership. We were hopeful that our members would give the transition a couple of months and continue to enjoy the crime books we send out however we do understand your decision.

Due to the volume of email correspondences we receive, please do not delete contents of this email when replying so that we can easily refer back to this thread.

Happy Reading!
Customer Service

Customer Service
Dorchester Publishing
P.O. Box 6640
Wayne, PA 19087
Phone: 800-481-9191
Fax: 610-995-9274
Email: customerservice@dorchpub.com
Web: www.dorchesterpub.com

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy | 67 comments Ardai says he offered to help them select books, as there are many good books that HCC doesn't include in their line, but was unaware that they hadn't let club members in on their plans beforehand.

Also, he didn't have the mailing list of all members to let them know.

message 10: by Atman (new)

Atman (revatman) | 18 comments Just got my copy of this Robert B. Parker book.

How anyone would think that a generic thriller could fill the shoes of heavy noir hard-boiled bare-knuckles HCC books is beyond me. I'm calling them tomorrow. I'll probably try giving this a read but there's no guarantee of that. It's going to wind up either as a donation at the local library, or I'll leave it at the local coffee shop.

message 11: by Atman (new)

Atman (revatman) | 18 comments Five wrote: "I contacted them this morning and it sounds like books went out to ALL the members. It seems strange that Charles Ardai would select the book and not mention anything on his mailing list.

The cus..."

where's his mailing list? I'd like to get in on that.

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy | 67 comments To Atman,

Try this and let Ardai know you're interested in a new book club.

bookclub@hardcasecrime.com

message 13: by Atman (new)

Atman (revatman) | 18 comments I was probably a little hard on the Hard BOILED Club's selection of books.

It was a good read. I think a different work of Parker was an earlier selection of HCC.

I just didnt dig Dorchester enrolling me in their club and billing me for a book without telling me. The pulpy covers and the editorial taste of Ardai were ver important to me.

But the book the sent wasn't bad at all. But no one got punched out. There werent any double-crosses. No noir elements at all.