Edgar Allan Poe discussion

Favorite Poems

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oceanwaves (new)

Oceanwaves (oceanwavesheartsoul) | 2 comments I like The Raven, partly because I live n Maryland...

message 2: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) | 8 comments Mod
My favorite has always been 'A Dream Within A Dream.'

Usually I like his darker works, but I love the beauty of it. http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-drea...

message 3: by Oceanwaves (new)

Oceanwaves (oceanwavesheartsoul) | 2 comments Cool.

message 4: by Catamorandi (last edited Jul 19, 2008 06:52PM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I like The Raven and Annabel Lee the best. A Dream within a Dream is very good. It is not the typical Poe poem.

message 5: by Havocvoodoo (new)

Havocvoodoo (wwwgoodreadscomprofilehavocvoodo) | 2 comments Serenade...for some reason it has just stuck with me.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 4 comments The Raven. It lends itself to such wonderful dramatic readings. Christopher Walken does a nice reading of it. I even love the Simpson's Treehouse of Horror depiction of The Raven with Bart as the raven.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Raven and The Bells...this would be good for a poll then people could go down the list and vote.
The Bells
Hear the sledges with the bells--
Siver Bells!
What a world of merriment their melody foretells!
How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,
In the icy air of night!
While the stars that oversprinkle
all the heavens, seem to twinkle
With a crystalline delight;
Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the tintinabulation that so musicalle wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells -
From the jingling and the tingling of the bells.
II
Hear the mellow wedding bells -
Golden Bells!
What a world of happiness their harmony foretells!
Through the balmy air of night
How they ring out their delight!-
From the molten-golden notes,
And all in tune,
What a liquid ditty floats
To the turtle-dove that listens, while she gloats on the moon!

Well, its simply wonderful!
Alice

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin | 2 comments The Bells is interesting in that it has been used as the basis for both an Opera and a ballet. In both cases, the focus was mostly on the final stanza, and its weird references to Goblin Bells. The Raven is, of course, infinitely more famous, but The Bells has been repeatedly dug out by other artists.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I gave out before being able to type it all. Thanks for that info which I didn't know. (about Goblin Bells)

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin | 2 comments Alice, if you are interested in The Bells in particular, you might be interested in knowing that Rachmaninoff wrote an opera based on the poem, and Ruth Page choreographed a ballet based on the poem. I also happen to know that a ballet based upon the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe is being produced in New York this spring, and will include a section based on the Bells.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Justin! I had no idea. I would not be able to visit New York as I have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) also called environmental illness but glad to hear that is being done.

message 12: by Cari (new)

Cari (carimae20) | 2 comments Where do I start...?

The Raven.
The Bells.
Alone.
Annabel Lee.

message 13: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 2 comments Hi I'm Lexi, and I am new to this group. I love his short stories and poems. Although most people like the Raven the best, I guess I am going to have to be a little weird and say that The Haunted Palace is my favorite by him.

message 14: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 2 comments Well, I love these poems!! ALthough, sometimes, I get a little confused on ones I haven't read before, I usually figure them out!! I love his work!! It is really good.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary | 17 comments I love THE RAVEN. i do a dramatic reading of it,and get requests to do it each year around halloween. I also love THE BELLS,and ANNABELL LEE!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Gary wrote: "I love THE RAVEN. i do a dramatic reading of it,and get requests to do it each year around halloween. I also love THE BELLS,and ANNABELL LEE!"

Me also, these you list are my favs.

message 17: by Cesar (new)

Cesar Gealogo (cesargealogo) | 2 comments I love Annabel Lee, To Helen, and The Raven. I have read this poems for many times and it really lightens up my day.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Cesar wrote: "I love Annabel Lee, To Helen, and The Raven. I have read this poems for many times and it really lightens up my day."

I like these also and The Bells!

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (bookworm12186) | 3 comments I loooove The Bells. Also Anabelle Lee and The Raven. Also A dream within a dream.

The Bells is probably my favorite though.

Read me two times monday will be world poetry day...what will you read to celebrate our beloved Poe(t)? I think I'll go with The raven, Al Aaraaf, Annabel Lee, A valentine and A dream within a dream...but maybe I'll read also The fall of the house of Usher and The masque of the red death.
;)

message 21: by Oceanborn (new)

Oceanborn Sleeper
Alone

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (miwfan4life) | 3 comments The Raven and Annabel Lee

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven (steve_nelson) | 1 comments Favorite Poe poem is like picking your favorite child. Those are all fantastic. I would add The Haunted Palace to the list. I get goosebumps every time I read it.

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Clavecilla | 1 comments I absolutely love The Conqueror Worm and used it as a starting point for my first horror-fantasy novel. The Conqueror worm is even a character in it! Poe is wonderful inspiration.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (miwfan4life) | 3 comments The Raven

message 26: by Marcelo (new)

Marcelo Ferretti (marceloferretti) | 1 comments A Dream within a Dream. Deeply moving.

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Comstock (commykaze) | 1 comments Since first reading it in high school, I've always been partial to Eldorado.

I also love Annabelle Lee and Ulalume. Alone definitely speaks to me perhaps most of all.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 7 comments The Raven of course is my favorite but I also love Annabel Lee and Alone