SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

November Discussions > The Blade Itself - The initial discussion thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 11% into the book now and, while I don't know what's happening yet nor do I feel like the plot has started, I'm completely sucked in.

For whatever reason, I got into my head that this is a fantasy humor/satire novel and so far I'm guessing my brain just made something up that has nothing to do with reality.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I'm about 1/2 way into the sample and leaning toward not going any further. Just in those few sample pages there were 3 paragraphs that started almost identically:

LOCATION 62: "S***," said Logen....

LOCATION 88: "S***," muttered Logen....

LOCATION 138: "S***," he muttered....

It's not the profanity, just the repetition and uninteresting wording. Likewise much of the other writing seemed amateurish, or at least in need of a good editing cycle.

I guess maybe I'll wait to see what others have to say about it before I invest any more time in it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 2/3 into the audio version and pretty much hooked. Logan stated off as my least favorite of the three main characters but he is becoming more and more interesting. And, yeah, he says shit too often or you've got to be realistic about things, but that seems to fit the character.

I like that the magic has been mostly pushed into the background and there's not a lot of showy spell casting. I hope it stays that way.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) My very first thought was how much I hate that formatting style--too much space between paragraphs and dialogue. I also noticed the profanity. It's weird, I guess you don't see that in fantasy books much. I found it jarring. Luckily, it doesn't come up as much later.

I do like the book. I was wondering what everyone thought of the fact that there is not a lot of overt magic in it. I'm liking it; it has a George R.R. Martin - Game of Thrones feel to it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The spacing thing bothers me too ... it feels gappy ... I do think you're right about the comparison to the Game of Thrones - it feels like the beginning of a massive epic. I just hope, unlike Thrones, that it doesn't exhaust me a few books in ....

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 19 comments It took me awhile to get into the book. But once I did, I was pretty much hooked as well. I have a large TBR pile, so it will be a while before I buy the next in the series, but I do look forward to it.

message 7: by K.C. (last edited Nov 23, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

K.C. May I'm 12% of the way in and so far not terribly impressed with the writing, but I like the story. I'll keep going (for now). :)

P.S. The formatting on my Kindle is awful! Sometimes the speaker changes mid-paragraph. UGH.

message 8: by K.C. (new)

K.C. May I'm about half-way through the book and not real motivated to finish. It hasn't been one of those gripping reads that I can't stay away from. I could take it off my Kindle and not miss it. :(

Oh well, it goes like that sometimes.

message 9: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) You did better than I did, K.C. I got about half way through the sample and just didn't feel like going any further, especially since I had more than enough other things on my to-read list. :-)