Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-11 SATURN'S CHILDREN: finished reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
This thread is for people who have finished reading Saturn's Children by Charles Stross.

CAREFUL - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I finished it a couple of days ago. I had a lot of fun reading it. I felt kind of bad for Freya with all the crap she went through.

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 114 comments just finished it. enjoyable but not one i'd re-read again.

on the plus side:

- i thought the whole post-human thing was pretty fascinating. and clever!
- there was one truly thrilling part for me: the raid on a ancient human tomb, as experienced in a dream/flashback. the rest of the "thrills" were less than thrilling but usually fun, even moderately exciting at times
- the ongoing theme of What is Slave Mentality was a very original one. although it's not an uncommon theme in erotica, i haven't come across it much in fantastic fiction
- the final reveal of the villain worked well. i wasn't necessarily surprised but it was effective

minuses:

- on the other hand, the final reveal of why the villain is so villainous didn't really work for me. something about the casual brutality that was at the heart of how the villain became twisted just didn't seem real to me. in some ways it seemed sort of cheap, pat, and obvious - although it clearly was a logical extension of the theme, it was just too black and white for me.
- all the Jeeves and dwarfs running around became confusing.

message 4: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 114 comments so few posts! this must not have been an enjoyable book for most folks.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Lewis (josephrobertlewis) I read SC last year and I thought it was the epitome of the SF novel that is very interesting but not really entertaining. It's full of clever ideas and images, and well-imagined possibilities regarding robotics. But at the end of the day I found reading the actual story to be a bit of a slog.