Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Book of the Month (BOM) > (November) 2010 Skinwalker **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Our November Book of the Month!
I chose this book because it's one of the fantastic new authors I discovered recently, and if you love Urban Fantasy as much as I do, you will LOVE this series.

Remember, spoilers are allowed in this thread.

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) ohh, i think I actually have this one on my TBR pile!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) FYI - if anyone is interesting, book 2 in this series is part of the big audible sale going on right now

message 4: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I just got it from the library so give me a few and I'll surely have an opinion . . . .

message 5: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Well, I have just finished Skinwalker and absolutely loved it! I basically sat on my couch all day today and read it; couldn't put it down. I loved Jane Yellowrock. I also loved many of the vamps and other characters in her world. Yes, it is reminiscent of early Anita Blake in some ways but then, so is Buffy. I thought the premise very well thoughout, the characters had great depth and I appreciated the questions Jane asked of herself (read the book!). I can only hope that there is more "Joe" in book 2. . .

message 6: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments I really enjoyed this book. I loved Jane's character (and Beast)! I thought it was great how her sense of humor would make her laugh or smile at very inopportune times. I thought the plot was really well written, I liked how she did make progress solving her problem throughout the book, but the ending wasn't given away. I also like how the author ended the book. There was a nice conclusion to this storyline, but it leaves you very excited for the next book at the same time. Definitely going to read the rest of this series. (And I hope there's more of the Joe in book 2 as well)

message 7: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Lisa, I thought Jane's "relationship" with Beast was pretty incredible too. Beast always stayed her own self even tho she was forced to live in Jane's "shadow" if you will; Beast could have been a LOT more bitchy than just "punishing" Jane occassionally and at least Jane mostly knew what triggered that. I cracked up reading about Jane and her inappropriate laughing or smiling too! She seemed pretty real to me, especially since she had bad hair days in NOLA just like I did. But I'm not a skinny 6' tall chick . . . .

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I really loved the Beast Speech as well, its one of the unique things that Faith brought to the table in Skinwalker.

I also have to agree that this is very reminiscent of the early Anita books.. but not so much so that it seems the same.
Here is hoping that Ms. Hunter doesn't go down the path that Hamilton does with this series *crosses fingers and toes*

This book (as well as Blood Cross) put Faith Hunter on the top of my A-List of authors.

I reviewed this over at LE, its super long but if you want to read it check it out here: http://www.literaryescapism.com/10207...

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) just got done with it today, and ditto, loved the story. the uneasy relationship between Jane & Beast was very well done, I think, showing both the good of the increased strength and endurance as well as the bad creepy factor of having something far stonger than you living in your head. secondary characters were cool, too, and I was pleasantly surprised Jane didn't fall into bed with the baddest non/person she could find asap.

anyone else bugged by some of the writing glitches, tho? example: she describes the bike zen master who chopped together her harleys in two separate similar passages in the first few chapters. I was worried for a while we'd get this same spiel every time she hopped on the bike...

message 10: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Ha! I noticed that too, Michelle, but these glitches were still so much less than what I've encountered in other books recently . . . I also respected that Jane didn't hit the sack with whatshisname (undercover cop guy) because he seemed pretty delicious to me! Wonder if they get together in the next book?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) must hold off reading this book until Dec 1 - using it for a challenge in another group...but wanna read now :(

message 12: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I wish I had a new "Skinwalker" to read on Dec. 1st, Dee. After enjoying this book so much, everything else I've read since seems . . . less good, or something like that. I've gotta get the next Jane book asap!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) haha...I have book 1 to read and book 2 to listen to (it was part of audibles big sale that they just had)...and it seems like a really unique storyline from everything you guys have said so far, so i'm excited!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) well, to tide you over for a bit, the short story about her witchy friend's kid is up for free on the author's website:

http://www.faithhunter.net/wp/2009/03...

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) if anyone has a kindle Mercy Blade (book 3 I think) - is availabel for free pre-order today

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 77 comments Finished the book! It was a little slow in the beginning but I ended up enjoying it. Ordered book #2 from the library.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Skinwalker (other topics)
Mercy Blade (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Faith Hunter (other topics)