Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's October Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments October Reads

Burn: An Anna Pigeon Novel by Nevada Barr (mystery)
Ann is visiting a friends in New Orleans. While there, she gets involved with a woman that is looking for her kidnapped little girls.
I didn't care for the subject matter. I do enjoy the Pigeon's mysteries set in the National Park Systems.
Not one of her better mysteries.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sci-fi)
From inside the book flap: "Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which book paper burns. This short novel is set in the future when "Firemen" burn books forbidden by the totalitarian brave new world regime. The hero, Montag, is a book burner who discovers that books are flesh and blood ideas and cry out silently when put to the torch."
This book was originally published in 1953 and still is revel ant today. So many people don't read news papers and books. They now get most of their information spoon fed thru web blogs, talk radio/TV and "tweets." Imagination now comes from video games and not the printed word.
A good read.

John by Cynthia Lennon (non fiction)
This book written in 2005, tells of her life with John, beginning when she was 18 years old. She really tells all and Yoko Ono really is a control freak.
An excerpt: "The time has come when I feel ready to tell the truth about John and me, our years together and the years since his death. There is so much that I have never said. So many incidents I have never spoken of and so many feelings I have never expressed: Great love on one hand; pain, torment, and humiliation on the other, only I know what really happened between us, why we stayed together, why we parted and the price I have paid for being John's wife..
I want to tell the real story of the real John---the infuriating, lovable, sometimes cruel, funny, talented and needy man who made such an impact on the world."
The best read of the Beatles women. Enjoyed this one and learned more details of the Beatles early days.

Worth Dying For by Lee Child (thriller)
Reacher arrives in a small town that is controlled by the Duncan family. The locals are terrified of them. Reacher investigates the case of a missing girl, only to uncover a sinister operation run by the family.
As usual, Reacher takes care of business. I think this one is the most violent of all Child's books.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I've been meaning to read Cynthia Lennon's book and still haven't done it. Think I'll move it way up since you liked it!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments I need to add the Cynthia Lennon book to my wish list...it sounds pretty good!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Lorraine:
I think I say this about each new reacher book!
Brakedrum wrote: "October Reads
Worth Dying For by Lee Child (thriller)
......As usual, Reacher takes care of business. I think this one is the most violent of all Child's books. "