Mock Newbery 2023 discussion

Book of the Month 2011 > November Read - The Kneebone Boy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 590 comments Mod
The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter Has received some really high marks. What did you think about it?

message 2: by June (new)

June Morgan | 29 comments I read that book as an ARC. I loved it.
June

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 66 comments I thought is was well done. The writing is sophisticated and it has a great twist in the end. The SLJ Heavy Medal Blog put it as one of their top 8.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 21 comments I loved this book I thought Potter's writing was amazing and she hit it out of the park.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (miss_jenlv) | 10 comments I really enjoyed it as well. It's one of the first books in a while that I've had a compulsion to pass along- I've been recommending it to my co-workers. Even knowing that it has a twist I was still pleasantly surprised and satisfied with the conclusion.

message 6: by Miz Lizzie (new)

Miz Lizzie The Kneebone Boy definitely tops my list at the moment. It's a highly original story that plays with narrative construction (and lets the reader know about it in Lucia's hilarious side remarks). The twist at the end was just like that arrow in the dragon's eye, the perfect key for unlocking everything that had come before. The British-isms by this American author were pitch perfect. I loved the fantastical elements that never left the realm of highly imaginative reality. I also loved that while secrets are revealed and mysteries are solved, not everything is fixed and tied up with a bow at the end (Otto still doesn't speak, for instance, among other things that I won't mention). And the cover -- just gorgeous!

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 22 comments It took me a whole week to read this book, which means it never grabbed me. After so many positive reviews, I was expecting something delightful and delicious. I liked the great aunt and the kids, who were engaging enough as well. The rest of the characters and the adventure just didn't interest me. I found myself reading it just to finish. I much preferred Countdown, One Crazy Summer, The Dreamer, and Red Umbrella.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 21 comments Pam wrote: "It took me a whole week to read this book, which means it never grabbed me. After so many positive reviews, I was expecting something delightful and delicious. I liked the great aunt and the kids..."

It is definitely very different from the ones you listed. From the narration, to the writing, to the style of book. Which may be why it wasn't something you liked.

For me, it did grab me and I read it fairly quickly. I would have to agree with Miz Lizzie's descriptions of the book. That was how it felt to me too.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam | 22 comments Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) wrote: "Pam wrote: "It took me a whole week to read this book, which means it never grabbed me. After so many positive reviews, I was expecting something delightful and delicious. I liked the great aunt ..."

1952202 I really expected to like it (and feel guilty about not being more enthusiastic). As you said, it was quite different than the books that have really captivated me this year. As always I'm most interested in how the kids react and respond to a book. I love their perspective!

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Garrett (mwlibrarydiva) | 6 comments I received The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter as an ARC and due to work commitments it got put on the back burner. When I started it it took a while to grab me in fact I would say I was nearly half way through it before it got to the point I could not put it down. I can see kids who like Lemony Snicket really getting into it. I thought she really captured the British aspect well considering she is not British. Without spoiling the book the ending took me by surprise and I am not sure how I feel about it.

message 11: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments Loved it! From the cover to the ending, I was eating this up. I liked the feeling of magic and fairytale with a realistic end.

I know people are comparing it to Snicket, but that is not how I saw it. To me, it was its own thing, a mystery with quirk but without the smarminess of Snicket. I actually liked these kids and wanted them to be happy. Can't really say that for Snicket's protagonists...

message 12: by Kristen (new)

I finally got this book from the library. I'm so excited to read it.

message 13: by Kimberley Little (new)

Kimberley Little | 5 comments I LOVED The Kneebone Boy - and I've now read ALL of Ellen Potter's past novels the past month. She's my new favorite MG author. :-) I just adore her work.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 4 comments I am currently reading Dreamer and am loving it. My next one to read will be The Kneebone Boy. But so far my favorite this year was Keeper. It is my pick for the Newbery.

message 15: by Kristen (new)

I can't believe I never wrote about this book. So sorry if this is a bit late. I don't know how Ellen Potter does it but she always writes something so new and different. While I thought the beginning of the book dragged a little I was delighted with the ending. It was a charming story that kids will enjoy.

It makes me want to play in a castle folly...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kneebone Boy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ellen Potter (other topics)