Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Author Q&A Series > Author Q&A Series: Nevea Lane

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Here's Nevea Lane in her own words:

Hello, my name is Nevea Lane, author of Marked in Montana and Chased Through Montana. I am currently residing in the Midwest. I am what I like to call a geographic mutt, meaning that I've lived a range of places such as the business district, La Défense, located in Paris, the busy street of Adams Morgan in Washington DC. Before I was published, I posted short stories and free reads on LuLu.com and Writing.com just to have my ideas out there. It has been a long road, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Questions:

1. So how did you get into writing?

I think I've always been a writer. I started writing short stories shortly after 6th grade when I participated in a D.A.R.E program and won a teddy bear for my short story on keeping kids off drugs.

2. How long have you been writing?

I have been writing since the fourth grade when I received my first typewriter as a Christmas gift. I was a goner since then. The ping sound at the end of a line was music to my ears. Even to this day, I break out my old typewriter just to hear that sound.

3. What was the first story you got published? How did you get it published?

My first story that was contracted was August's Rush. It is still with the publisher and not released yet. Yet, I didn't let having my first full story contracted stop me from writing. I went write back into writing, and my second story, Marked in Montana was published by Beautiful Trouble Publishing (BTP). The owners of BTP had read some of my free reads and asked if I wanted to participate in a writing challenge. The challenge was the outfit, I had to create the story. The rest was history, as they say...

4. What genres do you write in? What attracted you to those genres?

I write Contemporary Interracial Romance. I believe in the Toni Morrison motto, "I wrote my first novel because I wanted to read it." I found that Romances had been lumped into Contemporary Romance and African-American romance. Where was the in-between? I wanted to read what I lived. Imagine my surprise that the longer I began to research Interracial Romances, that there were lots of people reading it, but very select authors writing it. I may branch out and try Urban Fantasy and Paranormal, but for right now, contemporary romance is where I have settled.

5. What inspires you as an author and why? Which writers have been influential on you and why?

Words alone inspire me as an author. When I find a word I don't know, or I think it has a lot of emotion behind the word, I want to know that word and become intimate with it. All authors have influenced me in some way, I have read Descartes, Spinoza, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Maya Banks, J.R. Ward, Lisa Kleypas, Mary Balogh, Marilyn Lee and Marie Rochelle. All of their books have influenced me in some way just because you can always find something to identify with, whether it be an emotion or a location that is mentioned in their books. The only way, in my opinion, to be an effective author is to be an avid reader.

6. So why do you write interracial romance?

Good question! Why do I write IR? I think it is because it's what I live. I have been in interracial relationships all my life. I have always wondered how others dealt with the drama/joy/problems/situations that arise from being in an interracial relationship, or how do others view interracial dating on a general scale. From the books that I have read, I found that I can relate to the heroine better in these tales than any other genre. Relatability to the characters is very important to me, and although my heroines are Black-American, there has to be an element of relatability to them that appeals to all whether they are white, black, brown, yellow or purple.

7. Tell us about your current work.

My current work is a short read called Stunt 101. Again, thanks to my wonderful publishers over at BTP, I created a character that was subtle but she took nothing from no one. I enjoyed creating the characters in Stunt 101. Currently, I am still working on my Montana Wilds series.

8. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Don't stop writing. Even if you have done your query letter, after you have formatted your manuscript to perfection and have edited your work until your fingers bleed, keep writing! Don't wait around to see if the publisher 'dug' your work, just keep doing it.

9. What are your goals as a writer? Where do you see your writing career in five years?

My goals are pretty modest ones. I'm not planning world domination or anything, but I'm aiming to create quality work that gives you that little 'sigh' at the end of the book. In five years, I'll still have read more than I've written, but that is ok by me. I hope to at least have ten published books by then. I'm on book three now...

10. What message are you trying to convey through your writing? What do you want to say to your reading audience and future readers?

There isn't a set formula for writing. Sometimes it will be a fly by the seat moment or sometimes you will have to sit down and plot. Besides the ending being 'happily-ever-after' I strive to give you new scenarios, more than the classic boy meets girl story. To my future readers, I would like to say that I hope that my stories have the ability to be timeless, but if not, I hope you feel as though you got what you paid for and then some.

11. Who is your biggest role model in life? As a writer?

My biggest role model would have to be my English teacher. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have kept writing. He was a great mentor and helped me to constantly reach for the stars.

12. Is there anything you want to ask the members of this group?

What is the craziest plot you have seen?

13. Is there anything else you want us to know about you?

I have a twisted and sick sense of humor. Not gross, but I do find people running into poles hilarious. I'm also in love with music. All music! While my first love will always be hip-hop, I love rock, alternative, pop, jazz, and even some country.

On behalf of the Fans of the Interracial Romance group, I'd like to extend our thanks for joining us and letting us get to know you, Nevea!

message 2: by Msjj (new)

Msjj | 2 comments Hi Nevea!
Love your work woman! Of course I may seem biased but I don't care! Keep on keeping on!
Jeanie J

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Nevea, it was great to hear about your personal writing story.

The craziest plot I've ever read was in Tick Tock by Dean Koontz. A rag doll becomes this lizard demon who is chasing the hero. It was a good book, but it took a really bizarre hilarious turn towards the end.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Danielle - I love Dean Koontz, his books are so borderline insane that he makes me feel sane.

Miss Jeanie - and I love your work too! Keep doing you Boo!