Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Tales to Chill Your Blood Reads > For the Blood is the Life by F. Marion Crawford Book Discussion (Spoilers Likely)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
This week, we are discussing For the Blood Is the Life & Other Stories.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Here is the link to the story, thanks to Martha:

http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a00...

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I just read this, and it was not what I expected really. The vampire element doesn't come off too strongly, and it's different on some points than other vampire stuff. For instance, Cristina seems to have become a vampire by meeting an untimely, violent death, rather than from another vampire. I don't believe I've read it that way before, and I think I like it. I also really liked the spectral grave idea, that was creepy. The thought that the essence of the creature was not truly "dead" even though she'd been staked in her grave was different.

In all I really liked the feel of it, a small European town scandal meets the supernatural. I really like everything I've read so far of Crawford's, especially "The Dead Smile" and "The Upper Berth". I also recommend the little book Danielle linked to up top, I got it for $2 and it has a great story selection!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I haven't had time to read this. I had a busy week, but I will try to read it and post my comments soon.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Jan 10, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

I loved this story. It was delightfully creepy. I have to agree with your comments, Martha. You said it so well, I have nothing to add. :)