The Breakfast Club discussion

Current Reads > Spoon Fed Week 1

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I hope you've all had a chance to get a hold of the book and get started! This week I read the first 2 chapters of the book. I'm hooked. It's great so far!

Since the book only has 9 chapters I've decided to cover about 2 chapters per week. Then on the last week I'll do the last 3 chapters. Sound good? :)

In the first chapter we learn a lot about Kim. She tells us about her journey to California, her addictions and her new job. She goes through some bad times while she's transitioning into her new life in Cali and being sober all the while. Her first big assignment, for her new job at the San Francisco Chronicle, was to interview Marion Cunningham. Marion is a culinary legend because of her connections to anyone who is someone in the culinary world. She helped guide many a great chef and cook in the right direction. To me, this would be a dream job. Getting to interview someone who was such an influence on the culinary world and that is a personal hero of my own. My dream would be to interview Paula Deen. She is my favorite cook. She is hilarious, beautiful and of course a great cook! I think it would be so much fun to sit down with her and chat about anything and everything. Of course, I could pick her brain all day about cooking and baking but just having a nice cup of coffee and chatting about the weather would be amazing I'm sure.

So, here's the first assignment for this week. If you could interview anyone in the culinary world who would it be and why? What kinds of things would you ask them? Most importantly, let's say you had to provide refreshments for them, what would you serve them?

In chapter 2, Kim talks about learning about her likes and dislikes. Because of her alcoholism and addictions she has lost track of all the things she truly loves when it comes to eating. This got me thinking about things that I truly like and dislike. She explains later on in the chapter about having to try a terrible version of something to be able to know which version is the best. I was thinking about pumpkin pie when I was reading this. I had a slice of pumpkin pie today at a restaurant and it was nothing compared to the pumpkin pie my friend and I made a few weeks ago. It's so weird how different recipes for the same thing can be so completely different. The pie I had today was lacking a lot of flavor. That familiar cinnamon spicy flavor wasn't there. It is the best thing about pumpkin pie! Getting those spicy fall flavors all mixed together and then adding some cool whip on top of that. Yeah, I'm a cool whip person, I'm not a big fan of that stuff that comes out of a can. Anyway, I can completely understand where Kim was coming from when she was talking about the differences between two versions of the same thing. I loved the part where she described the lemons and the precise differences between the Meyer lemons and other lemons.

Another thing I loved about the first chapter was the part where she talks about if you are a journalist and you are interviewing someone you can tell the exact moment when you "find your story" and that's kind of what happened to me while reading chapter 2. As I was reading I was thinking about what I was going to talk about for the assignment and as soon as I read about her learning about her likes and dislikes I knew that was what I wanted to know about you all! What are some of your favorite dishes (likes) and least favorite dishes (dislikes)? On the favorites let's post some recipes of our favorite versions of our favorite dishes. I'm going to have to think about my favorite dish, I can't think of anything off the top of my head at the moment probably because the hubs is watching a scary movie and that's a little distracting. :)

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with and I hope you are enjoying the book so far!

message 2: by Basht (new)

Basht I had to order the book as my local stores didn't have copies (supposidly they do, but they can't find them when i go in). So i won't have it until next week sometime.
I'll be typing up the homework though sometime either tonight or tomorrow when i finish editing the family photos i took on the weekend

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
Okay lovely. I hope you get it soon. Can't wait to hear what you think about it :)

message 4: by Leti, Former President (new)

Leti Elizabeth (thebrandstylist) | 49 comments Mod
Same for me, I don't have the book yet because I was trying to be frugal and get it at the library, but I am so excited that I will just buy it tomoro at BN....promise!!! xx

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaalysse) The book finally came in for me to the library! I'll be going to pick it up very very soon :) I'll do the homework anyway though!

If I could interview anyone in the culinary world I'd probably like to have a nice chat with Bobby Flay. He seems to just have a great personality where there would never be a dead moment while chatting :) He also specializes in southwestern cuisine (which is my favorite!). I'd probably have some delicious crevice sitting out (perfect dip for chips). & as for desert I'd probably make HIS recipe of throwdown red velvet cake just because the recipe looks delicious and he might give me props for giving one of his very own recipes a go ;D

As far as favorites go...
My grandma is probably my favorite cook just because i love the smell/look of her kitchen. It's a place you can walk in and know food is ready to be prepared. She hasn't made it for awhile, but my favorite 'sweet' dish of hers is her banana bread. I don't have the recipe itself, but oh man is it delicious <3

As for least favorite dishes...
My boy-friends mom is mexican and she always makes a bunch of random food. There's a few dishes of hers that I like but I really hate anything that she puts pig into, yuck. I remember one time she made like liver or something and I had no idea and I put it into my mouth and it just was squishy (not how meat is supposed to be!) and I spit it back out immediately. Gah just thinking about it disgusts me.

As for a comparison of meals I've had tres leches cake from a few different people. Some make moist yet firm, and I've had others where you can't even get a spoonful without it turning into a soggy mush. It may taste good as mush, but it just doesn't give me that cake impression, ya know? I know a good tres leches cake when I stick my fork into it now <3