Writing Passionates discussion

20 views

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Which point of view(s) do you like to write in the most? Which ones do you enjoy reading?

I personally like to write in third person, but I like reading first person. I like getting inside a characters head when I'm reading, but I can't quite get the same effect when I'm writing :/


message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 6 comments I like to use third person, I like to include everyone's point of view. But I enjoy reading first person. It makes me feel like I am that character.


message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Usually first person, both reading and writing. I almost always write in first person though. :)


message 4: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I'm not much of a first-person fan. In some ways it's good to get into a character's head, but sometimes first person can be deceiving. I once spent half a book (written in first person)thinking the protagonist was a boy, then figured out that she was a girl. That really threw me off :)


message 5: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I think it's good to be able to handle both. It also depends on what sort of characters you have, and how many. I usually don't think about these things when starting a story, but instead choose by whichever one feels right.

I'd say that if you have more than one MC, or just more than one important character, third person is probably best. If you have two main characters and none of the other characters are particularly important, sometimes you can use first person and switch between the two. However, I feel like this can pose a challenge to certain writers. In order to pull of the perspective switch well, you need to have a well developed voice--and be aware of it-- before you can go about changing it. This is actually why I avoid writing like this.

Sometimes even if there's one main character I still prefer to write in third person, though. I think that if the character is overly emotional, or their mind doesn't work like normal people's do, third person is definitely the way to go. (I think this is a reason that Conan-Doyle wrote in Watson's perspective and not Holmes'.)


message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Kritika wrote: "I'm not much of a first-person fan. In some ways it's good to get into a character's head, but sometimes first person can be deceiving. I once spent half a book (written in first person)thinking th..."

Was it Maximum Ride? … I know that happened to a lot of people, with that book. lol.


message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Roni wrote: "I think it's good to be able to handle both. It also depends on what sort of characters you have, and how many. I usually don't think about these things when starting a story, but instead choose by..."

I agree about the perspective thing. If you're going to have more than one first-person perspective, they have to be very distinct. I'm kind of a hypocrite, since I do first-person pov switches a lot and they're not really different enough. But I'm working on it. Heh heh.

Otherwise, if you're going to have more than one perspective, third person is usually best.


message 8: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Kritika wrote: "I'm not much of a first-person fan. In some ways it's good to get into a character's head, but sometimes first person can be deceiving. I once spent half a book (written in first pe..."

I haven't read Maximum Ride. I still don't remember the book though. It probably wasn't a very memorable one, seeing as I've forgotten everything about it.


message 9: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Yes, that's usually a sign that the book wasn't very good. lol :D


back to top