Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Your Favorite Read of October! (and September)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments I think I forgot to do this for September so feel free to include any goodies for the last two months :)

Tell me all about it! I want to hear about your favorites as well as your DNF! The highs and the lows, ups and downs!

message 2: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments I think for me the best of the last couple of months was The Jasmine Veil from September. It was my second Gimone Hall this year and they were both 5 stars for me! Really great fun bodice ripper!

My other favorite was Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, it was awesome! I dare you to read 100 pages of this and not be inspired to go throw on some running shoes and take off out your front door! Really interesting and inspiring! Loved it loved it!

No big disappointments or other worthy mentions, everything else has been just meh.

The Jasmine Veil by Gimone Hall Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

message 3: by Gigi (last edited Oct 31, 2010 06:56PM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Hey Jennefer! I started a september favs thread towards the middle-end of October. However, its sooooooo much better when you do it! LOL ; ) Missed ya!

My favorite reads in September were Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (The Ralstons, #1) by Sarah MacLean The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood

My favorite October reads were Hummingbird by LaVyrle Spencer and Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian

Best October Audiobook was PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

Worst October read was The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #.5, Prequel) by Gena Showalter

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Well, my favorite was probably The Hunger Games. Mainly because it was different than anything else I've read lately.

Least favorite? That's easy. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72...

message 5: by Desperado (last edited Oct 31, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments I had almost no "good reads" in September. It was the month of tears & frustration....& PMS weather. But October more than made up for it.

Favorite Reads of October: Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione Love in the Time of Dragons (Light Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher

Disappointments of October: Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3) by Erin McCarthy Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1) by J.A. Saare

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annabell123) I had good luck with books this month. I gave several books 5 stars!

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, #1) by Tracie Peterson Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough

message 7: by Gigi (last edited Oct 31, 2010 07:35PM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Sabrina Fair wrote: "Gigi wrote: "Hey Jennefer! I started a september favs thread towards the middle-end of October. However, its sooooooo much better when you do it! LOL ; ) Missed ya!

My favorite reads in Septemb..."

I know. She's becoming a fav of mine. Actually, I take that back, she's become a fav of mine. Hummingbird was REALLY good. I'm looking forward to reading Separate Beds. I'll either read it in November or December. Its my next LaVyrle read. I'm trying to spread them out a bit (and that is very hard for me lol). You're right, shes definitely one of a kind. The other 2 that I loved were Years and The Endearment.

message 8: by Becky (last edited Oct 31, 2010 08:04PM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 258 comments I stepped out of my comfort zone and read The Undomestic Goddess and really enjoyed it. I also started a tried a few new series that I plan to finish Undead and Unwed and How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire. Three major scores! Actually the last two months have been really good. With my all time favorite recent read is A Kiss at Midnight.
A huge failure for me was Shanna and I know I am in the minority with my complete dislike of this never ending book but ugh it was bad!

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11468 comments Favorites for Oct. are I Love You, Ronnie The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy Reagan The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble The Jolie Wilkins Series, Book 1 (Volume 1) by H.P. Mallory

Disappointed in Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris - I was enjoying the series up until this one- it was all over the place and just didn't capture my interest at all- I struggled to finish it.

message 10: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments October was a really good month for me... and forever shall be known as the month I discovered the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Top reads for October:
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward (and then went on to read the rest of the series)

a selection of the others I also liked:
Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken The Chosen Sin by Anya Bast Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

The book I didn't like (but managed to finish without throwing it against the wall):

Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 11: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11468 comments Sabrina Fair wrote: "Fran wrote: "Favorites for Oct. are I Love You, Ronnie The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy ReaganThe Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen[bookcover:Fire Burn and Cauld..."

Sabrina, I heard the next one is really good- I will continue on but I just needed a little break from it. It's hard not to compare the books to the series and they are just so different. I am trying to separate- I think also just having Sookie's point of view has taken a little getting used to. I will definitely read on though.

message 12: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) My favorites from October: The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen Seers of Light (Light, #1) by Jennifer DeLucy Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) by C.L. Wilson Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5) by C.L. Wilson Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine

Good month!!

Disappointments: 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1) by Shannon Delany Shaken And Stirred (Those Sexy O'Sullivans, #1) (Harlequin Blaze, #382) by Kathleen O'Reilly Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher

message 13: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments Best October reads: The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen - The Lost Recipe for Happiness by Barbara O'Neal - The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer & two rereads: Simply Unforgettable (Simply, #1) by Mary Balogh - It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

Most Disappointing: Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1) by Olivia Drake & From London With Love (Lady Spies Series, Book 1) by Jenna Petersen

message 14: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1763 comments I read two keepers this month:
Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Love on the Lifts by Rachel Hawthorne

I had a couple of 3-star reads, but no major disappointments.

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments October was great for me:

Favorites
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

Want My Time Back
Untraceable (Tracers, #1) by Laura Griffin Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (The Ralstons, #1) by Sarah MacLean

message 16: by Kim (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) The Best was Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier .

I Really Liked Ghost of a Chance (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn and Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11) by Stuart Woods .

These were Good: Dr. Death (Alex Delaware Series, #14) by Jonathan Kellerman . Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen

And, Good but Slightly Annoying were: Murder, She Wrote Trick or Treachery by Jessica Fletcher and Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts

I gave them 4 stars except Jessica Fletcher, she got 3 stars.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 826 comments My favorites from October Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (The Ralstons, #1) by Sarah MacLean , The Brat by Sherry Gloag , and Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1) by Rachel Gibson

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 153 comments My really enjoyed these two books (that are memorable)
Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas and Simply Love (Simply, #2) by Mary Balogh

I liked these two (but not very memorable)
Beware a Scot's Revenge (School for Heiresses, Book 3) by Sabrina Jeffries and One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) by Tessa Dare

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21312 comments BJ Rose rated The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer as one of her best October reads

I think this book is my all time favourite of hers!! Just a great story!

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (The Ralstons, #1) by Sarah MacLean Hmmm! Mixed reviews (Emily and Gigi +ve; D.G. -ve) - it's one of my November challenge reads...

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments I finally tried the Fever series by Moning and fell in love with it!

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning

Also great books:
Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2) by Juliet Marillier Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale

My worst read for October was
Ritual Sins by Anne Stuart which unfortunately I had so high hopes for:(

message 21: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Jane wrote: "Hmmm! Mixed reviews (Emily and Gigi +ve; D.G. -ve) - it's one of my November challenge reads... "

Everybody but me has liked that book, Jane so don't go by me. :)

message 22: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments My favorite reads in October were Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer and Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer . I also enjoyed Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7) by Jayne Castle and Must Love Hellhounds (Includes Guild Hunters, #1.5; Kate Daniels, #3.5; The Guardians, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #9.2) by Charlaine Harris .

message 23: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments Loved, loved, loved A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon .

Was pleasantly surprised by Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts .

Not as good as I expected Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9) by Anne Rice Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward .

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin H October was a great reading month for me!!
I loved One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) by Tessa Dare Gold As The Morning Sun by Sylvia Halliday and On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn !! Stolen Kisses by Suzanne Enoch was another fantastic read!! My only downer was Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5) by Sabrina Jeffries

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) my favorites for October:

The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen M. Beckett Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments My Oct Fav's
Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger & Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

I didn't have a bad book in Oct but Sept Fish Out of Water (Fred the Mermaid, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 27: by Coffeentea (new)

Coffeentea | 128 comments My September/October favorites:
Tangled Up In You (Writer Friends, #3) by Rachel Gibson On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Stolen Fury (Stolen Trilogy, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 28: by Melanie (last edited Nov 04, 2010 11:04AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1339 comments September faves
Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)  by Suzanne Collins Goddess of the Rose (Goddess Summoning, #4) by P.C. Cast Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning, #1) by P.C. Cast Shades Of Twilight by Linda Howard Prince Charming by Julie Garwood Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

September disappointments just one... a little bleh....!
The Club by Sharon Page

October faves
A Knight in Shining Armor  by Jude Deveraux Dying to Please by Linda Howard A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James Now You See Her by Linda Howard A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) by Sandra Hill Simon Says (SBC Fighters, #2) by Lori Foster

October disappointments
Bride Enchanted by Edith Layton (boooring!) and Sexy As Hell (Berkley Sensation) by Susan Johnson , which is one of the worst books I've ever read!

message 29: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 18 comments Favourite Reads in September
Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6) by J.D. Robb

Least Favourite Read in September
Death's Excellent Vacation (Includes Night Huntress, #4.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1,) by Charlaine Harris

Favourite Reads in October
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey Guardian, #2) by Katie MacAlister Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey Guardian, #4) by Katie MacAlister

Least Favourite Read in October
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) Fran wrote: "Favorites for Oct. are I Love You, Ronnie The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy ReaganThe Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen[bookcover:Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble: T..."

I stumbled on Club Dead, too. I was definitely my least favorite book of the series but kept at 'em. I did end up liking the rest of the series ;o).

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) Favorites for September:
Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3) by Nora Roberts The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

Favorites for October:
The Search by Nora Roberts A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Not My Cuppa' Tea:
When Did We Lose Harriet? by Patricia Sprinkle Wife for Hire by Janet Evanovich Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel García Márquez A Personal Matter by Kenzaburō Ōe

message 32: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11468 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Fran wrote: "Favorites for Oct. are I Love You, Ronnie The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy ReaganThe Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen[bookcover:Fire Burn and Cauld..."

I will keep at it too, but I think I will take a little break for awhile- good to hear you liked the rest of them.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 957 comments Favorites of October:
Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1) by Cate Tiernan Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2) by Lilith Saintcrow Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia

These were not bad, but not that good:
Whisper (Whisper, #1) by Phoebe Kitanidis The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Cabel Story by Lisa McMann

message 34: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) No huge disappointments for me in October.
I loved: The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Vampire Trinity (Vampire Queen, #6) by Joey W. Hill
Also enjoyed: Last Dragon Standing (Dragon Kin, #4) by G.A. Aiken Lady Lazarus by Michele Lang Warrior (Doppleganger, #1) by Marie Brennan A Mermaid's Ransom (Daughters of Arianne, #3) by Joey W. Hill Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart