Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Magic to the Bone--November Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra This book is great. I'll give people a chance to read it before dropping any spoilers, but the series only gets better and the 5th one came out today!

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments I just picked it up from the library yesterday!

message 4: by Wicked Tiffy (new)

Wicked Tiffy | 3 comments I read it in 1 day and loved it! Passed it along to my husband and he liked it too. I'm with Sandra in wanting people to read the book before giving out spoilers. I went to the library and picked up the next book, Magic in the Blood. Can't wait to start it.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I finished the book in a day too. I enjoyed it. I like that I "got" the world the characters lived in right away. Not all UF worlds are easily understandable from page one. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. I did find a few things predictable, but really with some of it being told from Cody's point of view, it was supposed to be clueing the reader in. This book had all the things that I love in a book in it so it was a good read for me.

message 6: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments I thought this was a great book, I loved the world she created. I really liked Allie's character. Occasionally I thought she was too un-trusting and that got a little annoying, but otherwise she was great. I'm still not sure what I think of Zayvion, I want them to be together, but at the same time he has way too many secrets for me.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments It took me a long time to warm up to the book, but I didn't really warm up to Allie at all. I loved Zay, but sometimes he drove me crazy with the evasiveness. The ending was great, very unique and made me order book #2 when I wasn't sure I was going to.

message 8: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Okay, I'm going straight into a spoiler, but this is the spoiler thread so it's okay (I still feel the need to warn people tho :P). It was an unique ending, but I didn't really like that she forgot everything. It made me feel as if reading the book was a little pointless, because she ended up not remembering any of it. There's no character growth, all that she learned is gone. She has to start over. It's a new twist, but I didn't care for it. (It's been awhile since I've read this, so I don't remember all the details.)

Overall, I felt kinda neutral towards this one. None of the characters grabbed me. Plot and world building was good enough that I finished it. But not enough for me to run out and grab the second one. I will probably read it someday, but it's not high on my TBR list.

message 9: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 46 comments Just so you know, I have read all of them, and there is a reason the book ended the way it did. I have found that every book gets better as the series goes on and a few friends of mine, who felt the way you did Lisa MH, said it was totally worth continuing the series and that they wished they didn't wait to read them all.

Definitely a series to stick with! :o)

Happy reading all!

message 10: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments That's good to know. I was hoping it played a larger role than just a twist the author threw in to be different. I'll probably finish the series, but I'm reading Dresden right now. I also want finish reading the Unholy Ghosts series and the Kitty Norville one. So it may be awhile. >.>

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 30 comments I have read four (five?) of them so far and I'm really happy with the quality of the world-building and writing both. And I tend to be very picky! I lent them to my mother and she liked them a lot too but she doesn't remember plot well and I gave them to her in chunks (first two, and months later two more) and it half-ruined it for her I think. She might have to go back and read them all again to get the plot twists and I dunno if she will considering how many other books are waiting around. I also like Kitty lots!

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (keisu) well,, I liked the plot well enough. But even after having read the entire book I still didn't feel like I "knew" the characters. Especially Zayvion, I really don't know what to think about him. In the end I rated it 3(even if only barely), perhaps after the second book and some more character development it'll grab me more..