Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > November Group Read: Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Our second McNaught for this group! This one is not controversial like Whitney and is a big favorite among romance readers. Should be a nice sweet read compared to last month! :)

Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught 1990
Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught
Average GoodRead rating: 4.1
GoodReads description: In this classic novel of two willful lovers caught in a breathless adventure of deception and betrayal, #1 New York Times bestselling author Judith McNaught has created a powerful and unforgettable masterpiece.
ELIZABETH CAMERON
The Countess of Havenhurst possessed a rare gentleness and fierce courage to match her exquisite beauty. But her reputation is shattered when she is discovered in the arms of Ian Thornton, a notorious gambler and social outcast.
IAN THORNTON
A dangerously handsome man of secret wealth and mysterious lineage, his voyage to Elizabeth's heart is fraught with intrigue, scandal, and a venomous revenge.
Destined for each other, yet wary of each other's motives, Elizabeth and Ian engage in a dance of suspicion and passion that tests the very soul of their star-crossed love. As a twisting path of secrets takes them from London's drawing rooms to the mysterious Scottish Highlands, Elizabeth must learn the truth: is Ian merely a ruthless fortune hunter at heart?
Availability: Should be easy to find. Available currently in print from Amazon, used from AbeBooks or check out your local new or used bookstore.

Discussions: Ian and Elisabeth are a favorite couple for many romance readers... What did you think? Did you find their relationship and they way it develops believable? What was your favorite scene? What did you think of the authors style/voice? If you read Whitney, My Love with us in May (or on your own ever) how did this compare? How would you rate this book on a BR scale of 1-10 (1 being very tame 10 being WTF OTT!)?

Please be considerate of others and use 'spoiler spaces' when revealing key plot elements.

message 2: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
I have this one but I have not decided yet if I am up to reading it this month, it's a little bit of a chunkster. On the other hand if it is anything like the other two McNaughts I have read (A Kingdom of Dreams and Whitney, My Love) then I am sure it would fly and be very enjoyable! We will see.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments I just requested this from the library. I still have to read October's book!

message 4: by Joeera (last edited Nov 10, 2010 08:39AM) (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I will start reading it this weekend

They are all conceited to each other

Onces ans always
Something wonderful
Almost heaven
Whitney my love
Until you

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments I haven't been too involved in this group for the past month or so! I do think I am going to read this one though. Will probably start it in a couple of days :) Anyone else reading? How is it so far?

message 6: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I started Almost Heaven two days ago, and it is amazing!! I wouldn't really consider this a bodice-ripper though. I have laughed out loud so much while reading this... however, I may be a bias because A Kingdom of Dreams is my all-time favorite romance.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments I'm not reading this, but can't wait to see what you peeps think about it. I really love this book, it didn't seem really like a BR to me, but oh well different strokes for different folks :) Can't wait to see what everyone thinks.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Well I thought I already had this one on my shelf, but when I went looking for it tonight I couldn't find it :( Oh well. I'm still going to try to get it and jump on this one soon. I just finished A Kingdom of Dreams a couple of weeks ago and really loved that one! Hopefully this one will be good too, even if it isn't exactly a bodice ripper :)

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Amanda wrote: "Well I thought I already had this one on my shelf, but when I went looking for it tonight I couldn't find it :( Oh well. I'm still going to try to get it and jump on this one soon. I just finished ..."

If you loved Kingdom of Dreams, then you should love this one too. You should also read Once and Always. I love Judith McNaught's historicals, woman writes nothing but gold to me. LOL

message 10: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I will start reading this book today

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments I have it in my library book stack. I hope to get to it within a week.

message 12: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I started reading it yesterday i get to page 24 and i just happen to look at the next page and i realize at i'am missing pages 25-through-56.At first i was going to stop reading it but i changed my mind and i will finish it

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Oh man Joeera, that's a bummer! ... I just started and I'm somewhere around page 50. I love it already! (so soon, I know) This is my third Judith McNaught, and I gotta say, this woman sure knows how to pull a reader in! I feel like she flushes the characters out so well. You get to know their personalities in a way that seems natural instead of contrived and forced. I was seriously laughing at how funny Elizabeth is already. Her first (and totally awkward) meeting with Ian had me smiling from ear to ear and just giggling away. (This is exactly how I was with Whitney, My Love too, by the way. I was absolutely in love with Whitney withing the first 30 pages, I would say!)

Thanks for letting me borrow this one to start right away, Jennefer :)

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments This is my third Judith McNaught, and I gotta say, this woman sure knows ho..."

That's what I love about her and Julie Garwood. They always make that character connection for me, which makes or breaks a book to me. If the characters don't connect doesn't matter how good the story is. IMO
Glad you like it it's an amazing book :)

message 15: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I just finished Almost Heaven this morning. It's a brilliant read IMO, and my experience reading it parallels how A Kingdom of Dreams was for me... I was laughing hysterically in the beginning and crying my eyes out in the end. And it's so romantic throughout.

message 16: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I just finished reading Almost Heaven this morning.It was amazing and this is the first book i've read by this author and it as become one of my favorite books.There were parts in the book that i was laughing so hard that there were tears running down my cheeks and my and i could hear my dad ask my mom wy i laughing like that and my mom said i was probuly reading it's not the first time that's happen.To me his book was so romantic.next i will read Whitney,My Love

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Nov 21, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

Amanda | 107 comments I just finished a few days ago too :) I started it on Tuesday and finished Thursday which is crazy for me because I almost never read a book this size that fast! I just could not set it down! Just like you girls I was laughing so hard. From the Judith McNaught's I've read so far I would say you can definitely see similarities in them. Each story has been enough different to keep me interested though... more than interested... enthralled, maybe. lol. She does such a great job of developing her characters. I feel like I felt every emotion they were feeling right along with them.

Yeah, I loved this book. I can definitely see what has made her such a popular romance author.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments It was a wonderful book and the heroine I loved, which I usually just like. I had to keep reminding myself, she's only 17 and then she's only 19. The only complaint I might have was the scene with her running off with her brother and the trial. I don't know if I hated it more because of what Ian went through or because I thought it didn't have to be such a horribly humiliating scene for Ian or maybe both. That part had me squirming to get beyond it. But other than that, loved it!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I don't know if I hated it more because of what Ian went through or because I thought it didn't have to be such a horribly humiliating scene for Ian or maybe both. That part had me squirming to get beyond it. But other than that, loved it! ..."

I felt exactly the same at that point too. I think it's funny though, in another book where I maybe wasn't so into the characters I don't think those scenes would stand out to me so much. I feel like because I started to love Ian so much it was just torture to see him go through that! I just kept thinking that part didn't need to be dragged out so much or be so horribly humiliating for him. I thought it was a little over the top. I still think that, but in another book I might not have cared.