Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Monday Puzzler Nov 1 a little early

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
This isn’t strictly speaking a romance novel—but it is the most romantic book I’ve ever read. What I like about this is that they have an issue that could really derail many relationships for any number of reasons and they talk about it with humor and without embarrassment.

I open my mouth to say something nice about the food and instead say, “Hero—do other people have sex as much as we do?”
Hero considers. “Most people…no, I imagine not. Only people who haven’t known each other very long and still can’t believe their luck, I would think. Is it too much?”
“I don’t know. Maybe.” I say this looking at my plate. I can’t believe I’m saying this; I spent my entire adolescence begging Hero to fuck me and now I’m telling him it’s too much. Hero sits very still.
“Heroine, I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize; I wasn’t thinking.”
I look up; Hero looks stricken. I burst out laughing. Hero smiles, a little guilty, but his eyes are twinkling.
“Its just—you know, there are days when I can’t sit down.”
“Well… you just have to say. Say ‘Not tonight, dear, we’ve already done it twenty-three times today and I would rather read Bleak House.”
“And you will meekly cease and desist?”
“I did, just then, didn’t I? That was pretty meek.”
“Yeah. But then I felt guilty.”
Hero laughs. “You can’t expect me to help you out there. It may be my only hope: day after day, week after week, I will languish, starving for a kiss, withering away for lack of a blow job, and after a while you will look up from your book and realize that I’m actually going to die at your feet if you don’t fuck me immediately but I won’t say a word. Maybe a few little whimpering noises.”
“But—I don’t know, I mean, I’m exhausted, and you seem…fine. Am I abnormal, or something?”
Hero leans across the table and holds out his hands. I place mine in his.
“Heroine?”
“Yes?”
“It maybe indelicate to mention this, but if you will excuse me for saying so, your sex drive far outstrips that of almost all the women I’ve dated. Most women would have cried Uncle and turned on their answering machines months ago. But I should have thought…you always seemed into it. But if its too much, or you don’t feel like it, you have to say so, because otherwise I’ll be tiptoeing around, wondering if I’m burdening you with my hideous demands.”

message 2: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments ahahahahahahahhaah wowww
i wanna find out what this book is!

message 3: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
No idea, but it sounds interesting.

message 4: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2113 comments Mod
Ditto, Kasey

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1923 comments Mod
I haven't got a clue. But I want to know!

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Bwaahahahaha!! I love it! I don't have any idea what it is, but I love it!

message 7: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Loved the book! Hated--really hated--the movie. Have you read her 2nd book?

message 8: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
I refused to see the movie. The book is in myTBR pile.

message 9: by Janga (new)

I'll be interested in your reaction, Dls. I haven't dared to read it. The responses of people I know have been quite negative, but their biggest complaint seems to be that the second book was the first book.

message 10: by Manda (new)

Ahhh, I am pretty sure I know what it is now. I think...It did sound familiar but it's been years since I read it. If it's what I think it is, then I enjoyed the movie. But I took it wholly as a different entity from the book. The second book was not as good as the first. The second movie was AWFUL. (If it's what I'm thinking of.)

message 11: by Janga (new)

Oops! My comment should have said, "The second book was NOT the first book."

Manda, I don't think there has been a second movie. Of course,I may have misidentified the book, or I may be wrong about the movie. I only see movies at the theater two or three times a year. But I do have my HP #7 ticker already. LOL

message 12: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
To the best of my knowlege there is not yet a movie of the second book.
I think it would be incredibly hard for any book to live up to the first book. I started the second one at one point, and it didn't draw me in the same way, and then life happened, and I didn't complete it, but its still near the top of the TBR pile.
Wylene, she also has done at least one visual book, which I read and found very weird and utterly different from this book.

message 13: by Manda (new)

Okay, then I have no idea what book you're talking about...

message 14: by Janga (new)

Dls, I read an interview with her in which she talked about the visual book. Frankly, she sounded unappealing--rather strange and self-consciously avante garde and artistic. Regardless, that first book is definitely on my list of all-time, cross-genre favorites.

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I have no idea what this is! But I like their honesty *grin*

message 16: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Okay, I'm totally in the dark, here. Never read the book and definitely never saw the movie.

message 17: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
It's the Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. A really wonderful book .

message 18: by Monica (new)

Ooooh, I have this book in my TBR pile!

message 19: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
Read it, read it! I really love this book.
I am so surprised that more people in this group didn't recognize it. Its a really really romantic book. Both hero and heroine are deeply romantically in love with eachother and you really feel that; the whole thing in a way is about the power of romantic love. In one way you get to watch their HEA--in another its very sad --but also incredibly sweet.

message 20: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Now that you say it I remember that scene. I read the book over a year ago! I do love that book too. I agree, I didn't like the movie either.

message 21: by Monica (new)

DLS, I'll move it up in the pile for sure!

message 22: by Manda (new)

I was completely wrong--for some reason I thought it might be Bridget Jones' Diary for a moment. But I haven't read TTTW and I really need to I suppose. Thanks for the rec, Dls:)