Beyond Reality discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2354 comments Mod
The comment about inaccuracies in cover blurbs made me think about some of the inaccurate cover art I've seen on some of my favorite books. So I figured it merited a new thread. What are your favorite and least favorite pieces of cover art?

Cover art I love - anything by Michael Whelan. What an artist! He made me pick up C.S. Friedman's Black Sun Rising on the strength of the cover alone (of course, it's not the cover that Goodreads is showing...figures). I'm also quite enjoying Janny's cover paintings for her own books :)

Least favorite: oh, how I hate the covers on Dan Simmons' Hyperion and sequels. The Shrike is supposed to be this intensely scary four-armed killing machine. The cover art just depicts it as some sort of spiky robot. It's much scarier the way it's described in the book and if an artist can't do it justice, I much prefer it to be left up to my imagination.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments You named my top two favorite cover artists, Shel. You'll get no argument from me. :)

message 3: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
For some truly horrific cover art, take a look at this website:

http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Stefan wrote: "For some truly horrific cover art, take a look at this website:

http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/"

Gawp! Those are truly awful!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Shel wrote: "The comment about inaccuracies in cover blurbs made me think about some of the inaccurate cover art I've seen on some of my favorite books. So I figured it merited a new thread. What are your fav..."

That's the cover on my copy, Shel. Haven't read it though - Black Sun Rising.

message 6: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 26 comments Michael Whelan is one of the greats. I also love Jody A. Lee who did so many of Mercedes Lackey's covers. I can't stand Darrell K. Sweet. There are a few of his that aren't as bad, but most of them are awful. Terrible color choices and ugly little hairy people. My favorite new cover of a genre book is this one:

Curse of the Wolf Girl (Kalix MacRinnalch, #2) by Martin Millar

message 7: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Oct 31, 2010 09:22PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Michael Whelan is one of my all-time favorites too. His double cover for Tad Williams' To Green Angel Tower is probably my favorite fantasy cover ever - each paperback showed half of the painting, and put together they're a gorgeous contrast between the humans and whatever the crypto-elves were called in those books (Sidhe?):

http://www.michaelwhelan.com/catalog/...

A recent cover I really liked (well, it gave me nightmares) was John Picacio's cover for Mark Chadbourn's World's End:

http://www.johnpicacio.com/portfolio/...

Finally - let's not neglect to mention that our own Janny Wurts also is a talented cover artist (as is her husband, Don Maitz)!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Oh, I love the Michael Whelan and the other one is truly nightmarish!

And I do love Janny's covers. I won a print in the first trivia contest!

message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Shel wrote: "The comment about inaccuracies in cover blurbs made me think about some of the inaccurate cover art I've seen on some of my favorite books. So I figured it merited a new thread. What..."

Sandra, Black Sun Rising is WONDERFUL. The second book in the trilogy was just meh, but the third book was brilliant and makes it worth slogging through the second, IMHO. Gerald Tarrant is my favorite antihero ever.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Shel wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Shel wrote: "The comment about inaccuracies in cover blurbs made me think about some of the inaccurate cover art I've seen on some of my favorite books. So I figured it mer..."

Well, it's on my list that keeps growing. :D

message 11: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Well, it's on my list that keeps growing. :D"

Lists have a way of doing that.... :)

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments When I started reading there was no internet, I didn't know anyone who read Fantasy or SF. So I had to buy partly due to cover art. Conan books, Frazetta covers were amazing. Then I saw cover of Julian May's books, The Many Coloured Land and The Golden Torc. Same sort of wrap around artwork

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I started with old back copies of the Magazine of F and SF from the attic. The covers were so interesting and exciting, full of monsters and aliens and space ships and planets--oh, and robots! They had the coolest robots. And the stories. Some remain with me to this day. There was a story by Thomas Burnett Swan that pierced me to the heart, with a lovely cover of centaurs and tree maidens. I found it again years later. Heck, I started collecting the magazine. It's like an old friend.

message 14: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments of course today some of the covers are just lazy, A picture of a guy or girl and some stuff in the back, Bleh

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie S. That blog with the bad covers was pretty funny. Some of those I had to roll my eyes at.