Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's October

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments A good, if skimpy, month:

The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe

After a few chapters (disks) I was reminded of the one and only Karin Slaughter book I read. Same small town police force feel (this one is in Canada), same over-the-top violence on the victims. I stopped reading that series after the first. But slowly I was drawn in, first by Hazel's (she's the police chief) personality, position on the force, and compelling background story. Then other equally interesting characters were introduced. The serial killer aspect seemed to spin into the stratosphere pretty quickly, but elements revealed about the victims and how they came to the killer's attention kept me intrigued. Will probably read another, but not right away.
P.S. Rumor has it that Inger Ash Wolfe is a pseudonym for a famous literary author.

61 Hours by Lee Child

I found this Reacher a little slow to set up, and it felt like it was plodding along throughout. I wonder if the uniqueness of Reacher entering a strange town and stumbling right into a mystery is beginning to wear a bit thin. This one was just okay, but I don't have the heart to give it two stars.

In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

After listening to people rave about this series for years I finally took a crack at it, listening to it on audio. I'm cautious about series that take place in small towns as they stretch credulity as the bodies rack up, but I'm hooked by the characters and the place enough to continue. Having a modern day Episcopal priest as an amateur detective is a real twist, and is a fascinating window into church life for this Episcopalian.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14987 comments Carol:
Three isn't bad - I was at three for the month on Friday and went on a reading spree yesterday to get to six. ;) I wonder who the Literary author might be?

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "A good, if skimpy, month:
The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe.
P.S. Rumor has it that Inger Ash Wolfe is a pseudonym for a famous literary author."

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

I love Clare and Russ almost as much as I love Gabaldon's Claire and Jamie.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Marcy wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

I love Clare and Russ almost as much as I love Gabaldon's Claire and Jamie."

So do I, Marcy! You've got some good reads ahead of you with that series, Carol!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Melodie wrote: "
So do I, Marcy! You've got some good reads ahead of you with that series, Carol! ..."

Mel and Marcy, I've got A Fountain Filled With Blood out from the library on CD....

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Melodie wrote: "Marcy wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

So do I, Marcy! You've got s..."

me, too.. and am very impatiently waiting for One Was a Soldier.
anyone know what's taking so long for it to be released?

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Sherry wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Marcy wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

So do I, Marcy! ..."

The last thing I knew was trouble with the publisher. I agree, I was ready for this one last spring!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments I just got In the Bleak Midwinter on my Kindle ;)

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3672 comments Another one I have around here someplace. I thought it was on the hallway bookcase right in the front but it's not. Guess the last time I tried to start reading it, it got moved. Need to find it and really give it a try and see what everyone is talking about. So many book to read just don't know which direction to go too.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments DJ, I feel like that all the time, and getting a Kindle does not help reduce the overwhelm..

Btw, I notied that
61 Hours is available for Kindle for $8.50 or thereabouts...

Donnajo wrote: "So many book to read just don't know which direction to go too. ..."

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3672 comments I did find it on the hallway bookcase in the back row. Now it's moved to a better location. but even though I finished one book yesterday and since I had a very restless night and didn't sleep much I read during some of the time and was able to finish another book today. I'm thinking not about starting another mystery next since I still have Shutter island (graphic) to finish. I'm in the undecided mode at the moment.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Marcy, for the first time we disagree! Monumental! I didn't like IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER...just couldn't get into it. It's possible that because I jumped into a series where the characters are already developed {I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A SERIES] that's why I didn't enjoy it.

Carol, on THE CALLING. I really liked these but was pulled in slowly like you were. I definitely think this was written by a man. There are a couple times in the two books where I thought...NO WAY a woman wrote this book. I won't say which scenes since I don't want to spoil. Nice month Carol!

message 13: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments LOL - Mary, when will you ever learn? Reading out of order!?! Sorry that In The Bleak Midwinter was not for you. Plenty of other great stuff out there.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Marcy...I know...my head exploded.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Marcy, for the first time we disagree! Monumental! I didn't like IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER...just couldn't get into it. It's possible that because I jumped into a series where the characters are al..."

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER was the first one in the series!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Ok...guess I just didn't like it!

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "
Carol, on THE CALLING. I really liked these but was pulled in slowly like you were. I definitely think this was written by a man. There are a couple times in the two books where I thought...NO WAY a woman wrote this book. I won't say which scenes since I don't want to spoil. Nice month Carol!
..."

Now there's an intriguing thought (author a male). I'm going to look for those scenes when I read the second one in the series...