EDUC 567 Children's Lit discussion

Lizzie Bright > Lizzie Bright Reflection

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ritsa (new)

Ritsa Mallous | 35 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Macon (new)

Macon (macont) | 11 comments It’s really interesting to consider the genre of historical fiction. I know that when I was younger and read historical fiction, many times I forgot that the book was partly fictional and therefore took everything as truth in the book. In our book discussion today for Lizzie Bright, we discussed how it would have been impossible for the two children to see each other from the island, which young readers would most likely never take into consideration. Obviously that little detail isn’t a huge hindrance to the history of the novel, but it shows how easily historical fiction novels can be inaccurate without the reader noticing. With that being said, however, I still think that historical fiction has a place in the classroom especially in elementary and middle school classrooms. This genre provides the students a different, and sometimes more applicable, context in which to think about history. In terms of Lizzie Bright, my discussion group came to the conclusion that there are much better historical fiction novels out there that are less boring and move at a faster pace. So, Lizzie Bright is not a book that I would recommend in my future classroom!

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 11 comments I wasn't a huge fan of Lizzie Bright, I didn't hate it but it wasn't my favorite book that I've read this semester. I think one of the reasons I didn't particularly enjoy it because it was kind of long for its story. However I do normally enjoy historical fiction because I feel like I learn a lot when reading it. However we did cross the question in our discussion, of whether historical fiction can be confusing for kids because when it uses real historic events and change certain details but children still take everything in the book as true because it is so realistic and based off of facts. One good thing about historical fiction is that it can be used in the classroom and incorporated into social studies lessons. Overall, I like the genre of historical fiction but not this particular book, I think there are definitely better choices when choosing a historical fiction novel.

message 4: by Beimnet (last edited Nov 06, 2010 02:23PM) (new)

Beimnet Lizzie Bright was an okay book, but it got much better towards the end. I think it would have been better if I was a kid, and I'd never read a book about race before. I knew what was going to happen for most of the book, and then at the end, the author definitely surprised me which I enjoyed. I also liked how much the author developed the characters in ways the reader wouldn't expect, so at the end, I was definitely sad to see some of them go. I wouldn't have the whole class read this book, but I would keep it my classroom. I still don't think I'd recommend it, but for the kids who like to read, I think they could enjoy this. It was a decent book with a great ending. On the historical fiction note, I think this definitely works. Sure, some of the stuff was changed, but it's a fictional piece of work. The author had to have some room to move, and I thought he stayed true to the majority of the story. I think staying any closer to the real event would have been to much of a challenge and not very interesting.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments Ok, I'll admit it, I did not finish reading Lizzie but promise to do so at a later date, when the work load is a bit more do-able. Getting to page 50 of so I was able to form some opinions about the book and here they are. Like others, the start of the book was a bit boring and draggy. I usually feel more investment in a book that far in but just could not make the connection with this one. I'm holding to Beimnet recommendations that the book does get more exciting at the end even if it ends sadly.
Regarding the use of this book as a teaching tool to compliment a history or social studies lesson (and going off what people commented on in discussion) I don't think it is engaging enough. Like the basal texts used in these subjects, this novel may appear similarly dry and uninteresting. I do however like the idea of incorporating different materials, like a historical novel, into the classroom to give lessons a multidimensional aspect.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mcclellan | 11 comments I really enjoyed the story of Lizzie Bright. I had no clue that there was any hint of reality in this story until I googled it when I finished reading. The characters were built up well and I thought that the story line was well written. The ending was very upsetting though and I don't know how well some children would be able to handle the institutionalization and the deaths of main characters; I know it was difficult for me to handle it! I don't know if I would put the book in my classroom simply because of that, but I would maybe recommend the book to certain students who would probably take interest in the book and the story line.

message 7: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Hough | 12 comments Lizzie Bright was really hard to read because the beginning was so slow. I have never been a huge fan of historical fiction, so that may be why my impression of the book was not wonderful. It's just not my kind of story! I would, however, recommend it to a student who did like that genre! I thought the characterization was wonderful. This would be a book that I would probably include in a classroom library, but I wouldn't teach it necessarily.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 10 comments I didn't really enjoy reading this book. While I like historical fiction, Lizzie Bright just didn't hold my interest. I found the story line and characters to be predictable... interracial friendship, the character of a pastor's child, the crazy neighbor, a community hesitant to change, etc. While the racial topics mentioned in the book are important to discuss in the classroom, I feel like there are plenty of other books that do a better job presenting those same topics (like Witness and Roll of Thunder). I would definitely talk about this time period and its corresponding social issues in my classroom... this just wouldn't be the book I'd use to supplement my lesson.