Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Childhood Favorites -- the first one that got you hooked

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Donna | 5 comments Encyclopedia Brown was an absolute favorite. I did enjoy Nancy Drew as well. The Great Brain was another.

message 2: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ellis | 3 comments One Nancy Drew book and I was hooked for life. From there, I devoured every Agatha Christie book I could get my hands on culminating with Curtain--my all time favorite.

message 3: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Carol Evans | 5 comments I was, and still am, a Nancy Drew lover.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Sarah Hear hear to the Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown readers! I was one as well. Sherlock Holmes was next, but I didn't find Agatha Christie until high school.

message 5: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Susan | 3 comments Nancy Drew probably came first--chronologically--I can still remember reading through the whole series, sometimes several books in a single afternoon, when I was very, very young. Once I discovered Agatha Christie, I became addicted to mystery novels for life :)

message 6: by Bett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Bett Walker | 7 comments It seems I have been reading all my life. My Mom liked to read short stories in "Detective Magazines", and of course, even though these were not for me, I read whatever I could get my hands on.

We had a general store in our neighborhood within walking distance with a lending book shelf. I also read each of these - including romance, mystery & comedy. Couldn't wait for the newer books to arrive.

message 7: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Deborah | 5 comments I read some old Ellery Queens my father had from his own youth, along with some more "hardboiled" detective stories. Christie, yes, but never really did like Poirot that much.

On the more kiddy front, the usual, Three Investigators, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, the girl detective who wasn't Nancy, Encyclopeia Brown...

message 8: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Pamela It was Nero Wolfe--I fell in love with Archie Goodwin at age 10 and have never fallen out!

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Jessica Nancy Drew! Encyclopedia Brown! From the Mixed-Up Files....! And then it was on to Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes from there.

message 10: by Melanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Melanie | 3 comments Trixie Belden! I dont recall which one I read first but I loved them all and read each of them multiple times.

message 11: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Rob (kanata) I remember reading a series of books by Eric Wilson here in Canada. Mysteries that take place at various Canadian cities involving two children around 8-10. But these are grade 3-4 type books so they can't be the first. (I did have the pleasure of going for lunch with him when I was 11 and it still is one of my favourite memories)

I have a story I wrote in grade one that was about a detective named Pinky, who drove a pink car and had a pink phone and one day she was put on a case about some pink dust. I believe that was the only colour I knew how to spell :)

So I guess that I've been into mystery stories since a wee age.

message 12: by Sean (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) My father made me read the first twenty Hardy Boys books. That pretty much got me hooked. From there, I read Encyclopedia Brown and then moved on to Sherlock Holmes and Auguste Dupin.

It's been a downhill slide of sleuths since then.

message 13: by Drew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Drew (booksliesandalibis) | 4 comments I had a friend when I was in elementary school who introduced me to Alfred Hitchcock presents "The Three Investigators." It was kind of like the Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew mysteries, but I loved these books, the situations the boys got into, and boy did I wish I had a secret hideout in a trailer inside a junk yard! I've often searched for these books when in used book shops, but they are somewhat hard to find. But, they forever peaked my interest in mysteries.

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Barbara | 3 comments I loved Trixie Belden! Especially the earlier ones - I think there were 2 authors. I was excited to see that they are still in print - I saw them at Borders. My favorite teen series was Nero Wolfe. Then I fell in love with Peter Wimsey!

message 15: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Julie | 9 comments I love "The Three Investigators" series. Several years ago, while visiting my aunt and uncle, I found "The Secret of Terror Castle" in my cousin's bookshelf and was captivated by the idea of having a clubhouse in a junkyard that was accessed by various secret tunnels. Oh, to be as smart as Jupiter Jones! Of course, Nancy Drew was my idol.

message 16: by Halle♥ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Halle♥ | 1 comments I love and loved nancy drew and hardy boys!

message 17: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Mike I remember sharing and trading with my cousins for most of the Hardy Boys collection. The Twisted Claw was a particular favorite but they were all good.

message 18: by Ruth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Ruth | 3 comments I am dating myself i'm sure - but before graduating to nancy drew and hardy boys == the younger readers started with the bobbsey twins and the happy hollisters, right? [ I guess that's why i was up to perry mason by 6th grade.]

message 19: by Alissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Alissa (book_girl_14) | 2 comments The Nancy Drew books got me hooked on mysteries! I still read some of them!