Cult of Anoia discussion

Group Reads - Amazing Maurice > Exactly how much do you love I Shall Wear Midnight?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 22 comments I don't want to jump the gun in case people are not yet finished with the book, but I finally got and read my copy of I Shall Wear Midnight and I need somewhere to gush about it. I will add much more later, but for now, I must say that I am in love with Preston, and Tiffany may be the one of the best examples of a natural and strong character evolution I have ever read. Fabulous. How does everyone else feel?

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 30, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

I didn't love it as much as I had hoped to, but I think I may need a second read to appreciate Tiffany and Preston more. I was disappointed in the way the Feegles were presented. And I was surprised that Roland seems to have forgotten the entire episode with the Winterking.

I do like the way Tiffany's story ended. She did grow into a strong and mature person, confident in her own story.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like this one, it was my favorite Aching Book since The Hat Full of sky.

I am surprised people post on here, I feel like no one ever does.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a small group, maybe 6 people, who do post here. The moderator has been gone for a long time, and we haven't had a discussion since Unseen Academicals. Would anyone be interested in discussing I Shall Wear Midnight?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe but could you guys also talk in the few topics I made and Vote in the polls I made for the group.

As far as a discussion I would maybe be interested.

message 6: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments I will get to I Shall Wear Midnight very soon, just going over the earlier Tiffany Aching books to be ready for it. This is like saving the last piece of cake until you are really really hungry, y'know?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

How was your chocolate, btw?

Daniel posted a new poll. You might want to take a look! :)

message 8: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments Not sure how to find it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Scroll up to the top. On the right there is a list: click on polls.

message 10: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments Thanks, Jeannette. I voted for the wizards, I always like them. Of course I like the witches too. And the Watch. And Death and Susan. And Sweeper. Did I leave anybody out? Oh, yes, Johnny. I like him too, even though I don't read an awful lot of kids' books unless my grandchildren pick them out.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess you would like to click on "all of the above"? :)

message 12: by Zed (new)

Zed Read this when it first came out. Found the villain really interesting....won't say more than that ..and the brains behimd Boffo- brilliant!

message 13: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill i LOVED this book (sorry about the fact that noone knows me btw) im also officialy in love with preston, i wonder if i cold ask terry pratchett what made him come up with such a good character? i mean, i love all his books whatever they take me through, but this is something else.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Rhiannon! Now we know you. :)

I did like Preston. He's the kind of man who Tiffany can be happy with: smart, funny, understanding. It just shows that, again, the story is always right. Tiffany did not end up with the "prince".

I think you should write to Terry Pratchett through the publisher, maybe? I don't know if he keeps a blog/website.

message 15: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill thats a great idea! i wrote to stephanie meyeers once but she never replied. i appear to be making a habit of it- i just love the books so much, i want to know how the authors did it. ive been attempting to wtire stories for as long as i can remember, but i havent got very far. this isnt a post for me maonig though.

i thought it was really sad the baron died, but necessary for the story, id always liked him even though we barely knew anything about him. i really loved the twist on laetitia being a witch, it took me by surprise. thats one of the reasons i love terry pratchett books. in alot of books you can guess how the book is going to go if you've read one before, but with these im always left guessing!

there's only one thing i didnt like the release of this book- the ending is so final, tiffanys all grown up, matured, made her own way and has a steading and everything, i doubt there'll be antoher one. the only thiing i dont like about a series for anyhting, any author, in fact, is that they end. i want them to go on forever. ^^ ☺☻♥☻☺

message 16: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill oops, that was quite long. oh that just reminded me of when tiffany met the miss levels. they were so nervous that she would run away they couldnt stop switching bodies for sentences. when they caled down, they stopped doing it. tiffany said "that was quite a long sentence you said just then"

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Rhiannon wrote: "oops, that was quite long. oh that just reminded me of when tiffany met the miss levels. they were so nervous that she would run away they couldnt stop switching bodies for sentences. when they cal..."

:)

I really thought the relationship between Tiffany and the old Baron was very well done. I like that she was able to alleviate his pain, and to take him to someplace where he had been happy as a boy, as his last living thought.

Sometimes it is very sad to see a series end, but this was supposed to be 4 books. And I enjoy seeing a beloved character grow up and become the person they are meant to be. Besides, we might see Tiffany in AM sometime again.

message 18: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill good point- and it was great to see her all grown up and how she was meant to be. i dont think im cut out to be a witch.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Being a witch seems like a lot of hard work. :(

MB (What she read) | 27 comments Such interesting posts! When I read the part about Tiffany and the Old Baron and alleviating his pain. I thought, Aha!, Sir Terry knows about hospice and end of life care. I think ideally, that's what we'd all wish for ourselves and for our loved ones when its time to die. That cessation of pain, someone who cares, and the ability to focus on happy memories. Whether it's magic in Tiffany's case, or drugs in ours.

Just another reason why I think Pratchett is one of the wisest authors alive.

message 21: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill i completely agree! ^^

message 22: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments I like what MB says here. TP is certainly a keen observer of humanity and he uses that skill very well in his books to give depth to the characters and assure that the plot is character-driven. I always laugh and I sometime cry for these characters because even living in a fantasy world, and doing impossible things, they are so realistic. Many of them go through the same sort of struggles that we do, and I take hope from their successes. Poor old Rincewind took years of failure as a student and accepted the Patrician's unrefusable offer of a fresh start to earn his hat in his own way.

message 23: by Chapin (new)

Chapin | 4 comments I Shall Wear Midnight was definitely a good book, but I'm afraid I didn't like it as much as most of the other TPs, or as much as previous books in the Tiffany series. It certainly was a good ending for Tiffany: everything had a "complete" feel to it. Even so, I would have liked a little more time with some of the characters - especially Preston. It seemed a little too fast for my liking. But then, I've been reading too much epic fantasy lately, and I've gotten used to really long books where everything is dragged out as long as possible.

message 24: by Rinofthemill (last edited Nov 11, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Rinofthemill i guess so- ive never really thought about it that way.
i always love books where i really feel im in the story, watching it all like an invisible companion who knows everyone and is always there.

i also really like amber- i wonder if there will be anything about her in upcoming books, i really want to know if she can learn the soothings, she certainly has an extraordinary gift.

my no. 1 faveourite part of the book is right at the very end, though, when tiffany gets her midnight dress. it says in the book (from memory, asmy mum piked the copy toread it again) that she clealy loves it, and finds it pretty much fills a hole that she didnt know she had. yet her nly words are "thankyou, the cuffs are perfect" tee hee! ☺

message 25: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

So should there have been a fifth book ?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe there are only four books in the series. This book was meant to finish Tiffany's story. I would love to see Tiffany make a guest appearance, like Nanny Ogg does in "Thief of Time," but there wasn't a fifth book planned, as far as I know.

message 28: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill ummmmmm- i dont know? i never knew there were only meant to be a set number of books in the first place till jeannette told me. we always had the first three t home and i was happy to think that was it- it was great to see another though. as jeannette says (and told me earlier) there were always eant to be four books so we cant really expect another featureing her but i bet we'll be likely to see her some other time, maybe in anhk-morpork or mabbe even at her steading, if a main character of some other story (moist von lipwig, that would be funny) happened to be passing by ♥

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's a link to the US website for Terry Pratchett's books:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

Here's the UK cover, which is so much better than the US cover, imho!

http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/discworl...

message 30: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill the UK cover is rather cool (tescos seems to have the us one) but the feegles look rather different. it would have been better if they kept the same illustrator as tge first three i think

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I read an early-release copy and I thought that the cover must be incomplete. The Feegles look like they were done by an 8-yr-old with a Paint program. Very disappointing!

Paul Kidby is "the" Pratchett illustrator!

message 32: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill i know. wouldnt you love to be terry prattchets illustrator?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

If I had the talent! It would certainly be fun to bring his cast of characters to life.

message 34: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill me too. but if i could have the talent of any one illustrator it would be Chris Riddell

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Such a surprise, seeing your profile picture! ;)

message 36: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill hehe... good point.

message 37: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill anyway, back to discussing books, i might have to read oveer it agin, i got witches abroad for my bday

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Birthday! (whenever it was) Witches Abroad is excellent. Have you read it before?

message 39: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill nope! (it was wednesday by the way) my mum has the whole series of like, all of them, so i started reading them but had to stop at witches abroad due to suchs problems as leaving for boarding school. i mentioned this to my mum and loa and behold! amazon package the next day! its great so far. ive got to the part with granny weatherwax playing cripple mister onion. ^^

message 40: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill gtg now. sorry bye!!!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

That is one of the best scenes!! I don't know if you are familiar with Mark Twain. He wrote several books about traveling around both the US and Europe, so Witches Abroad is sort of an homage.

After Witches Abroad you have to read Lords and Ladies. It's Magrat vs. the Elves! *love it*

Are you in the UK at a boarding school? I read a lot of British lit, but I've never actually "talked" to anyone who goes to a boarding school. Your mum is a sweetheart, sending you Terry Pratchett! Enjoy! :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Bye, Rhiannon! Have fun reading, and work hard at your studies!

message 43: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill tis soooo funny! and yes, it is a boading school in the UK. me and my siblings go to the Royal Hoapital School in Holbrook. its nothing like anything the books say it is. id love to chat more but my mum's taking me out for leaveout- we're going to watch harry potter! byr! ^^ ♥

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Have fun watching Harry Potter!! You have to remember that I am 6 hours behind you, here in the US, so I was sleeping when you posted. lol Let me know what you think of the film,

message 45: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill hehe, i always forget you're six hours behind me. i guess what time it is with my friend abra- she lives in california. lets see- its 17:05 now, so its... 11 oclock there??

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes it is, and it's 9 o'clock in California.

What did you think of the movie?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone have any lastest new on the next discworld novel.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't heard about a new one. I'll look around.

message 49: by Rinofthemill (new)

Rinofthemill it was really good- alot better than i expected, but quite sad. and they've hardly got through any of the story- only destroyed 1 horcrux so far. how are they going to fit the rest in part 2???

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh the next discworld novel is called Snuff, and there is not much known about it.

« previous 1