Fans of Maps discussion

A book's map you've (dis/)liked? > The Name of The Wind

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay I am a bit of a dork when it comes to reading books that include maps. I like to follow the path of the people on their journey. I am currently reading The Name of the Wind. Crap map. I am 100 pages in and am yet to find a town on the map. Grrrrrr. Why bother putting it in there? The map that does exist reminds me of the general map of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series but without the detail.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 645 comments Mod
Wow, it's interesting that this book comes up in discussion so often. I first heard of it when my son was in the author's class at the university. Have you read his profile here on GR? It's funny.

I plan to read this when the whole trilogy is out, so I can read them together. I'm sorry to hear the map stinks. But we can discuss the book here, anyway, if you like. I'll get a copy now if you do want to discuss it. If it's got a quest or other reason to have a map, it qualifies!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the heads up on the authors profile, I had a good laugh. I hope the humour comes through a little in the book.

Have you read The Wheel of time series Cheryl (it has great maps by the way)? The Name of The Wind has a very similar feel to it to start with. I hope that will change as I get futher into the book. I also hope the author isn't tempted to extend the story past the trilogy (by definition he shouldn't but you never know with these things.)

It's going to take me a while to read so if you would like to read along also there is no rush.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Jordan? No, I avoid big books and big series and fantasy. I have ordered Rothfuss's though from my library because my son recommended it - and I'm hoping he honors the completion at the trilogy promise... :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well it is a large book 660 pages & the print is tiny. But don't let me scare you off. I'm about 140 pages in and am now being taken along for the ride. The main character concerned me initially because he is identified as being super intelligent(beyond anything reasonable). He is however starting to gain my sympathy.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

I got my copy from the library. It's intimidating, but I am looking forward to it. :)

message 7: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments Chery highly recommended this book so now I am reading it. Anyway here is a link to a color version of the map at the authors web site. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/conten...

message 8: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments While trying to find out how to pronounce Kvothe I happen to find this You Tube interview of Patrick Rothfuss. I thought you might find it interesting, I know I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpBpS...
Patrick Rothfuss discusses The Name of the Wind

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

I love that video. I hope the map becomes more relevant in the next two books of the trilogy. Which I will read. Omigoodness what an amazing book.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The colour map while a lot more attractive than the black and white in my book is no more informative, so my gripe still stands.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch the YouTube video yet. I can't watch it at work and my home computer died this week. :(

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Maybe you'll get more reading done at home, with no computer... :)

To clarify, we were agreeing with you that it's a crap map. We were just talking about it some more, is all.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

So what were your thoughts on 'The Name of the Wind?'. It wasn't a journey as such more of life journey. Perhaps the map wasn't really necessary after all.

message 13: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments I really liked it! It is one of the tightest stories I have read. I mean there are no wasted words. The story is compelling and personally I am really looking forward to the next installment. OK so making a map is obviously not his forte' and I wish he had left the rock unturned. I forgive him after reading the story.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed the complexity of the characters which is often saddly lacking in fantacy tales. The only thing that bothered me in the story was the inability to get the relationship happening between Denna & Kvothe. I mean really, when it's obvious to all that they really like each other. Those sort of contrived relationship delemas I find very frustrating. Okay so he was 15 and immature. I still found it annoying.

message 15: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments I understand the annoyance and frustration, but having been there and done that(no details). I can totaly get the "Not going there cause this friendship is more vaulable.". Believe me the frustration is much worse going through it than reading about it. :}

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

I hope people who are going to read this book join this discussion *later* because now it's hard to keep away from SPOILERS!

Ok, the only thing I can possibly dig out to complain about is the occasional foreshadowing.

I liked that, despite him accomplishments, he's still a teen. He's impulsive, with little common sense, uncomfortable around girls (the other ones, that is), unseasoned in so many ways. I assume that he'll grow throughout the trilogy.

I liked the rich side characters. His parents, his chums, his mentors... none were flat stock characters. All could (as Pat implies in his monologue that Ralph linked) eventually have their own stories.

I do have an authentic 'readers' group' question: Why does he never get around to seeking out Ben? At first he does explain that he's kinda in a state of shock, but years go by and he doesn't even put the question out to the gossips?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ralph wrote: "I understand the annoyance and frustration, but having been there and done that(no details). I can totally get the "Not going there cause this friendship is more valuable.". Believe me the frustrati..."

Ooops, it's obviously something I haven't personally experienced. It's one of those things which irks me in books when characters have the bleeding obvious right in front of them and they choose to take the stupid path. This was not an obvious floor in TNoTW, thankfully. Most of the bad decisions made as Cheryl pointed out where due to immaturity and therefore forgivable. Yay for a character with a bit or realism.

One of the things I liked about the story was the comparison between the legend and the original story. It adds an additional dimension to the story which I really enjoyed.

Regarding the visit to Ben; Kvothe was always a boy in a hurry once he decided to pursue something. Ben was too far away, visiting him didn't have any immediate reward to offer the time and effort required for the journey. I am sure he will come back in as the trilogy progresses.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

"a boy in a hurry" - excellent point, yes, again, he's a teen, more impulsive and less thoughtful, more in focus with the clear & present than the distant & possible... thank you for figuring that out for me Gail...

message 19: by Ralph (last edited Nov 16, 2010 06:48PM) (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments Cheryl found an image for me and I thought Gail would enjoy it also. So here is a link. http://www.philmcdarby.com/index.php/...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Ralph I love the image. It's funny how you have an image of something. Each person has something difference (obviously). My vision of this scene was of a much more secure rock location, and my image of the Draccus looked a lot more like a fat iguana. Here it looks more like a blue tongue lizard (apart from the size and the flames, not scary at all). :D

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally got time (and a new home laptop) to watch the interview. Great interview, thanks. I know what he means about the repetition in fantasy books, I had been suffering from the same thing -- lack of character development and same old story.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

You don't think the 'blue tongue lizard' is scary? Ok, yes, we agree that it's big enough to be dangerous - but I don't think I'd want to encounter one even if it were only big enough to eat, say, a cat. ;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

No, I have several in my garden they are gorgeous. They are slow and lazy the most they will do is hiss at you if you inadvertantly tread on one. They grow to about a foot long.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Ah, ok, thanks for the lovely picture - yes indeed so handsome and not frightening. I'd sure rather have him as a pet instead of the iguana that's common here.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

The resemblence to the picture in msg 19 is quite strong. Complete with blue flame/tongue, well I thought so anyway. :)

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

agreed :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

My daughter is now reading this. She is loving it. This is an assumption based on the volume of the protests when I went to tuck her in last night. :)

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Yay! How old? I'd love to hear more of her reactions, please. And of her recommendations.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

She is 13, I have tried to get her to give me her impressions of books previously. I think she views it as something similar to school homework. Oh well I will keep trying.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

I'd be willing to bet your good influences will rub off on her well enough. You're clearly a good mom. I've never had a girl, just sons, but I've heard that no matter how hard the mother/daughter r'ship can (sometimes) get during the teen years, you can look forward to lots of joy & love at the end of it.