Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Alexander McCall Smith

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Donna | 5 comments I enjoyed the strong female heroine and the unexpectedness of the setting and situations.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore this series! The wonderful atmosphere, well-crafted characters and unique situations make this series sparkle. One of the things that amazes me is that despite seven (?) books into the series, it doesn't drag or get repetitive.

And one of these days I'm going to get my hands on some bush tea and sit on my porch while watching the sun go down! :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

a friend of mine who lives in South Africa told me bush tea is red tea to me- rooibos- I'm not sure I spelled that right.

message 4: by Cara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Cara (caranam) | 1 comments I loved the ones of "No. 1" I've read. Her forthright and direct approach to the world and her life is both refreshing and interesting. I also picked up recently his second series - "The Sunday Morning Philosophy Club."

As a heads up, its a fantastic read, but only nominally a mystery novel. For those who really like suspenseful mysteries, this is not for you. For those of you who really like to think about possibilities and ethics? Definitely worth a look.

message 5: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

John Folks seem to gush over Lizette Lecat's reading the #1 series on audio, but I feel she's all wrong for the part, and only read the books in print.

Yes, bush tea is Rooibus tea. I don't care for it, but is fairly easy to find in the States these days I believe.

message 6: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Caroline There's also Honeybush tea, which I find to be tastier than Rooibos (and I love Rooibos!). I love brewing up a cup of that and sitting down with some Mma Romatswe. I love the series, and always take my time whenever a new one comes out so I can relax and enjoy it.

I also really enjoy his Isabel Dalhousie series. Not as many people seem to like these, and I don't know if it's because people want them to be like the Botswana books or not, but they're great in their own way. And, for me, Isabel is just so entertaining in her nosiness.

message 7: by Sophy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Sophy | 4 comments i agree that Isabel Dalhousie is too pretentious. i enjoyed the first book of the series that i picked up,(number three as it happened) but i found after i read the rest of them that they're all basically the same; isabel worrying about the ethical dilemmas of beng rich(yet continuing to enjoy it), isabel worrying about her neice and their relationship, isabel being easily offended by any offhand comment, etc. the whole relationship between her and jamie is also intensely irritating, she acts as though he's at most seventeen, unable to make his own decisions despite the fact that many twenty-eight year-old men are married and have families.

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 19 comments I read the Isabel Dalhousie series. I could not get into the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series at all. I also read his series that revolves around the residents of 44 Scotland Street.