Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > DC: Favorite Romantic Suspense Series

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know one of our categories in this month's challenge is to read a romantic suspense book. I haven't read much of this genre, so I'm curious what are the favorites of other members.

So far, the only one I've read and is actively following is Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series.

Share with the group your favorites and why do you like the series.

message 2: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Nora Roberts has a lot of stand alone romantic suspense books. I always enjoy her characters and their romance as well as the setting and the mystery. I enjoy heroines who aren't TSTL and heroes who don't suffer from testosterone poisoning. One of my favorites is Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts . True Betrayals by Nora Roberts and Hidden Riches by Nora Roberts are also favorites of mine and stand up well to rereading.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Most Nora Roberts I've read are her trilogies. I will check these titles out, Sandra J.

message 4: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments I'm not a fan of RS at all & I try to stay away from it as much as possible. But there are a few series that I enjoy(ed).

Anne Stuart's Ice series
Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) by Anne Stuart Ice Blue (Ice, #3) by Anne Stuart Ice Storm (Ice, #4) by Anne Stuart Fire And Ice (Ice, #5) by Anne Stuart

Christine Feehan's GhostWalkers series
Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan Mind Game (GhostWalkers, #2) by Christine Feehan Night Game (GhostWalkers, #3) by Christine Feehan Conspiracy Game (GhostWalkers, #4) by Christine Feehan Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan Predatory Game (GhostWalkers, #6) by Christine Feehan Murder Game (GhostWalkers, #7) by Christine Feehan Street Game (GhostWalkers, #8) by Christine Feehan

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I've read the first two books of the Ice Series, and let's say, I find her heroes 'interesting'. : )
I own all the books so I'll get around to reading them some day.

Ghostwalkers? Huge fan here. I would recommend them myself.

message 6: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments By "interesting", do you mean "psychotic as hells"? Because IMO, they are. But I guess I'm a sucker for a homicidal, raving lunatic.

It's funny, I didn't even realize GW was romantic suspense until a friend pointed it out to me. I guess I overlooked it since its a PNR series as well.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I used Lisa Marie Rice's Dangerous series...but I think her Midnight Men one might qualify as well..

Dangerous Lover (Dangerous, #1) by Lisa Marie Rice Dangerous Secrets (Dangerous, #2) by Lisa Marie Rice Dangerous Passion (Dangerous, #3) by Lisa Marie Rice - I haven't read the 3rd one yet

Midnight Man (Midnight, #1) by Lisa Marie Rice (there are more in this series, but this is the only one i've read) - wasn't really a fan of it, but for more military inaccuracies than anything else

message 8: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) My favorite RS author is Karen Rose! She has an 11 book series starting with Don't Tell, and they are all winners!

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LethalLovely~I'll Wrap My Wire Around Your Heart wrote: "By "interesting", do you mean "psychotic as hells"? Because IMO, they are. But I guess I'm a sucker for a homicidal, raving lunatic.

It's funny, I didn't even realize GW was romantic suspense un..."

LOL...yep...talk about 'crazy' heroes. Not exactly sure how to classify Bastien when I first read the book.

I also classify Ghostwalkers as PNR, but I guess, it can be also put under romantic suspense.

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I used Lisa Marie Rice's Dangerous series...but I think her Midnight Men one might qualify as well..

Dangerous Lover (Dangerous, #1) by Lisa Marie RiceDangerous Secrets (Dangerous, #2) by Lisa Marie Rice[bookcover:Dangerous P..."

I have the first book in her Dangerous series. I heard good things about the series itself.

message 11: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Megan wrote: "My favorite RS author is Karen Rose! She has an 11 book series starting with Don't Tell, and they are all winners!"

I've heard that her books are real thrillers. Are they really that suspenseful?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments the first book in the Dangerous was a bit ehh...it just ended...but I really enjoyed the second one...and they aren't linked, so don't have to be read in any order

Yz the Whyz wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I used Lisa Marie Rice's Dangerous series...but I think her Midnight Men one might qualify as well..

Dangerous Lover (Dangerous, #1) by Lisa Marie Rice[bookcover:Dangerous S..."

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "the first book in the Dangerous was a bit ehh...it just ended...but I really enjoyed the second one...and they aren't linked, so don't have to be read in any order

That's good to know.

message 14: by ~Megan~ (last edited Oct 30, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Yz the Whyz wrote: "I've heard that her books are real thrillers. Are they really that suspenseful?"

I find them to be extremely suspenseful....especially after the first couple, she really hits her stride. Her villains are some of the creepiest I've ever read.

I should warn you, though....she does not hold back with the details. I don't find the books to be gory or anything, the bad guys are just very disturbing and she doesn't refrain from showing it.

message 15: by Sandra J (last edited Oct 30, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Linda Howard has written some good romantic suspense. Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard is excellent. And both Dream Man by Linda Howard and Now You See Her by Linda Howard have psychic heroines so I guess they can be considered PNR as well as RS.

message 16: by Mel W (last edited Oct 31, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Elizabeth Lowell is a favourite RS author of mine ...

Donovan Series:
Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) by Elizabeth Lowell Jade Island (Donovan, #2) by Elizabeth Lowell Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3) by Elizabeth Lowell Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4) by Elizabeth Lowell

St Kilda Consulting:
Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1) by Elizabeth Lowell The Wrong Hostage (St. Kilda Consulting, #2) by Elizabeth Lowell Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3) by Elizabeth Lowell Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4) by Elizabeth Lowell Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell

Rarities Unlimited:
Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited, #1) by Elizabeth Lowell Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2) by Elizabeth Lowell Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) by Elizabeth Lowell The Color of Death (Rarities Unlimited, #4) by Elizabeth Lowell

ETA: I've only read the first two in the Donovan series - but liked them so much that I bought the rest of the series, and started collecting books in the other two series.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i've heard good things about EL, but she has a fairly extensive backlist...where would you recommend starting Mel W?

message 18: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Linda Howard's John Medina series is also good ...

Kill and Tell (John Medina, #1) by Linda Howard All the Queen's Men (John Medina, #2) by Linda Howard Kiss Me While I Sleep (John Medina, #3) by Linda Howard

message 19: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i've heard good things about EL, but she has a fairly extensive backlist...where would you recommend starting Mel W?"

Dee, I started with the Donovan series, and I've also read the first one of the St Kilda series. I'm missing books 3, 4 and 5 of that particular series so I will most likely have to re-read once I have them.

I've read and enjoyed a couple of her stand-alones too - Eden Burning and Whirlpool.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments thanks!! not like I need to add any more books to the TBR - but her books sound good

message 21: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 1099 comments They're total "popcorn movie" type books but I've enjoyed the Roxanne St. Claire Bullet Catcher series. Hot bodyguard heroes and almost constant action (of all varieties) make them an enjoyable and quick read.

Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1) by Roxanne St. Claire Thrill Me to Death (Bullet Catcher, #2) by Roxanne St. Claire Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catcher, #4) by Roxanne St. Claire First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #6) by Roxanne St. Claire Then You Hide (Bullet Catcher, #7) by Roxanne St. Claire Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #8) by Roxanne St. Claire Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #9) by Roxanne St. Claire Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #10) by Roxanne St. Claire

I think there are a couple of short stories but I've only read the full novels so that's what I've listed. That's why the numbering seems a little off.

Off to check out those Elizabeth Lowell titles! They do sound good.

message 22: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments You're welcome :)

message 23: by Morgan (last edited Nov 27, 2010 11:27AM) (new)

Morgan St. (morganstjames) | 3 comments I would like to recommend my two new books in the Twist of Fate Series written as Arliss Adams - Devil's Dance and The Devil's Due. Read what reviewers have said. Check out www.devils-dance.com for reviews and more or you can go to www.firstchapterplus.com and read the first chapter of Devil's Dance.

Both books are available in all formats: paperback, ebook, Kindle, audio CD and MP3 at most online bookstores and can be ordered at your favorite brick and mortar store.

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20966 comments Karen wrote: "They're total "popcorn movie" type books but I've enjoyed the Roxanne St. Claire Bullet Catcher series. Hot bodyguard heroes and almost constant action (of all varieties) make them ..."

I have 'Make Her Pay' - can this be read out of order without losing much back-history?? ie Are they relatively stand alone stories?

message 25: by Kim (last edited Dec 06, 2010 05:02PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) RS is as romantic as I get.

I'll second Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb (time travel detective).

Another one is Sandra Brown, although she's more romance than suspense, at times.

Catherine Coulter's FBI series is about a married couple team.

Heather Graham's Harrison Investigation has some romance.

Mary Higgins Clark has some romance, esp. if she's writing with her daughter,
Carol Higgins Clark, for the holiday mysteries - the Reilly Regan Mysteries. She has an Alvirah & Willy series as well, a couple of books.

Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum with her never-ending decision, but laugh-your-butt-off funny.

I've only read one, but I think her others might be as well: Yasmine Galenorn; witchcraft and romance. Tea & Chintz was a little too smutty for cozy mysteries, that was for sure!

phew. I think that's all I've read, that I can think of.

message 26: by Serena (new)

Serena | 6 comments I haven't read many but i enjoyed To the Edge (Bodyguard, #1) by Cindy Gerard , To the Limit (Bodyguard, #2) by Cindy Gerard , and To the Brink (Bodyguard, #3) by Cindy Gerard so far...

message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan St. (morganstjames) | 3 comments I know it's blatant self promotion to post my own new series, but I just listened to the audio book of The Devil's Due written as Arliss Adams (second book in the Twist of Fate series) and was totally immersed in it.

Here is the latest review on www.librarything.com for the first book, Devil's Dance:

"This novel was a very compelling story, Jen Connor's life and how quickly things can change. I found it interesting and I felt very connected to the character of Jen Connor. It was a little fast paced but a very enjoyable read for me. After I finished, I just had to continue and I am now currently reading Devil's Due. I love these stories, and would recommend them to anyone. Despite it being a different genre from what I usually would read I think it is a great novel."

I'll be honest. I got one one-star review and one three-star but everything else has been five or four star. Check out the series. Next month you'll be able to read the first chapter of each on www.firstchapterplus.com.