What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED - A Girl Who Can't Speak and a Storm [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) | 25 comments I read this book sometime from 2002-2004. The story is about a girl who can't speak, but there's nothing wrong with her physically. She's mute for psychological reasons, but no one understands why. Her parents died in a storm when she was a kid and I believe she lives with her grandfather. Even though she does not talk she has a friend (I think it's a guy) she hangs out with a lot.

I believe the title had the word "Storm" in it (not sure about this) and she lives near the sea so she knows the signs of a bad storm and at one point she recites (in her mind) the old adage (or something similar) "red sky at night, sailor's delight. red sky in morning, sailor's warning." She eventually gets caught in the middle of a really bad storm.

*SPOILER WARNING*
It is during this storm that she realizes why she can't speak - in the storm that killed her parents, her dad had her promise to keep quiet (I don't remember why). Her mom was already dead I think, but her dad was able to save her, though he couldn't save himself. She had repressed this memory, but the storm made her remember.

I remembered this book today and while I remember a lot of details I can't find the book and it's driving me crazy!

message 2: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 373 comments The Silent Storm by Sherry Garland?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) | 25 comments Thanks Laura, that's definitely it! I can't believe I couldn't find it.

message 4: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 373 comments I tried a search on Amazon and couldn't find it, but then I tried a search on Google and it found the book -- on Amazon. Weird.