Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 5 comments I've been reading alot of the REH reprint collections for the first time, and was wondering what you guys think of the comic book interpretations of REH's characters. The first 2-3 years of Marvel's Conan the Barbarian was quite good, and I'm finding that most of the Savage Sword of Conan is entertaining. I haven't found a Solomon Kane story I haven't liked, but have not read them all. I haven't read any of the Kull reprints yet. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 257 comments I have only read Dark Horse Conan and thought that was a good take but enough for me.

I want to read new Cormac series though, hope there is good Kane,El Borak comics.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Dec 27, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Michael | 305 comments I thought the recent Dark Horse adaptations of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane and Kull series were both very good, particularly SK.

message 4: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 257 comments Fellow fans dislike the writer of Kane is why i havent read him yet.

The trouble is much of the appeal,power of comic versions go away when you read the vivid storytelling,prose of Howard. Going back to "regular" comics stories is hard after that.

I would love El Borak comics though,he is underrated in comics stories,not enough.

message 5: by William (new)

William King | 9 comments I have very fond memories of the early Barry Smith (before the Windsor :)) Marvel Conans. In the UK they were reprinted in black and white in a larger format and usually had a Kull story at the back. Great stuff. There was even a cross-over where Conan met Elric. This would have been in the early 70s. A number of those have been reprinted in colour in recent years and are well worth picking up.

I also liked the black and white Buscema version of Conan from the late 70s US Savage Sword of Conan. If I recall correctly some of them had Solomon Kane stories in the back. My memories of this are vague though. It was the 70s and I was a student. Of all the early Conan artists Buscema always seemed truest to Howard's vision, at least in the black and white comics.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Dec 27, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Michael | 305 comments William, I used to get the Savage Sword of Conan UK reprints when I was at school. I think they usually featured Boris Vallejo covers, which were really eye-catching. I'd come across other Conan comics before this, but I'm pretty sure it's where I first came across Solomon Kane. Good times!

message 7: by Peregrine 12 (last edited Jul 27, 2011 05:53AM) (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 76 comments REH Comic Question for you all:

I recently reread a comic called 'Bloodstar' - purchased it when it came out in 1989. Written by REH, illustrated by Richard Corben. Anyone else heard of this? Does it exist as a REH story by the same name, or is this one of those loosely-adapted-in-creative-ways kind of things?

Bloodstar by Richard Corben

I'd love to read the original story for this one. Bloodstar is one of my all time favorite graphic novels, and I would recommend it to any fan of Howard's.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Peregrine 12 wrote: "REH Comic Question for you all:

I recently reread a comic called 'Bloodstar' - purchased it when it came out in 1989. Written by REH, illustrated by Richard Corbin. Anyone else heard of this? Doe..."

According to the GR review by our own Charles Gramlich, it's based on The Valley of the Worm.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments BTW, have you seen Corbin's interpretation of some of H.P. Lovecraft's stories and poems - they were very good.

I think he also did an interpretation of Wllliam Hope Hodgson's The House on the Borderland, but I haven't been able to get hold of that.

Hm - he did - here it is:
The House on the Borderland by Richard Corben

message 10: by Peregrine 12 (last edited Jul 27, 2011 05:54AM) (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 76 comments Thanks for the info, Michael. Very groovy.

Man, this is becoming a problem - the more books and authors I read about, the more books and authors I want to read. The problem is I don't have enough time to read everything. Last night, after finishing a REH book, I ordered a copy of Lovecraft's short stories. (This world needs more Cthulhu.) Did I need the book? No. Want it? Yes.

So now it seems I can add Corben's collection to my growing list of 'must read's. Well, thank God for disposable income.

Releasing my inner teenager,

P.

message 11: by William (new)

William King | 9 comments Hey Michael, sorry to take so long replying. I have been out in the country with no internet connection for much of the week. I do seem to recall Boris covers on the Savage Swords. There were some truly great covers on those old B&Ws. It's not strictly speaking Howard related but does anybody else remember Richard Corben's Den? It was sort of a 70's Playboy version of an Edgar Rice Burroughs Martian novel. I loved it when I was a teenager. Not as much as I loved Philippe Druillet's stuff but still a lot.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments This is one cover I particularly remember from Savage Sword of Conan #10.

First one to identify which story this depicts is a Cimmerian!

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 544 comments "A Witch Shall Be Born"

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Jim wrote: ""A Witch Shall Be Born""

Crom welcomes you to his cloudy halls, Jim!

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 544 comments Hopefully not for some time yet.
;-)

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael | 305 comments Heh, heh - there's a welcome waiting, I should have said ;-D

message 17: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 117 comments Purchased two Dark Horse Conan graphic novels / collections. I didn't have enough time to hunt for it but was looking for the one with Beyond the Black River. Grabbed the two below for now. They're a little over the top but they make a good effort at keeping to the REH spirit.

Conan Vol. 0: Born on the Battlefield TPB
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/15-273...

Conan Volume 7: Cimmeria HC
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previe...

I was drawn to Volume 7 in particular because it had a few pages of REH's bedroom and the man himself in it.

message 18: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 1 comments The early TPB's from Dark Horse were very promising, but the series has come down from those heights. I was especially disappointed with how they treated Queen of the Black Coast in their latest series. With all its faults, I consider Roy Thomas' version far superior to Brian Wood's.

I actually came here to see if anyone felt the same way. In any case, if someone's interested, you can find my thoughts about the different versions here:

http://susimetsa.blogspot.fi/2015/03/...

message 19: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Yes, I liked the initial run of Dark Horse's comics, but became disenchanted with it after DH's first writer left. I never purchased DH's Queen of the Black Coast run. I saw it on the stands, perused, and put it back disgusted. I'll never own it as a TPB. We vote with dollars, and I'll not vote for that Conan.

I have the entire run of Marvel's Conan (except for like four issues of Savage Sword of Conan in the middle). They were marvelous for me when I was a kid and young adult, but I haven't re-read them in years (they are for sale if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer).

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 447 comments Some of the early ones are worth a lot of money. I remember how excited I was when I first saw Conan comics on sale by Marvel. Being a Conan enthusiast from the Lancer books. I remember buying "Garden of Fear" and loved the artwork (and still do) by Barry Windsor-Smith even if Conan looks a little too pretty. I've been collecting some of the Dark Horse. I didn't buy the Queen of the Black Coast (Dark Horse) because I didn't like the art and the way Conan was depicted. I didn't read it so I can't speak to the writing. I like your web page Marko. My wife's mother was Finnish. It's really cold there!!

message 21: by Whorehammer40k (last edited Apr 05, 2015 09:24PM) (new)

Whorehammer40k | 5 comments Michael wrote: "Some of the early ones are worth a lot of money. I remember how excited I was when I first saw Conan comics on sale by Marvel. Being a Conan enthusiast from the Lancer books. I remember buying "Gar..."

I agree with you on the Dark Horse "Queen of the Black Coast" series as I too have not bought or read any of those because I did not like how Conan was depicted or the art style. With comic books, art is extremely important so I do base my comic-reading decisions largely on the art. Art is what brought me to Dark Horse Conan comics in the first place. I noticed the stunning covers and skimmed through. The writing is not my favorite, but the art keeps pulling me back in.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 447 comments Do you like the Savage Sword of Conan? I think those are some of the best Conan comics. I've been collecting the Conan the Avenger series but haven't read them yet. I've been saving them to read the entire series at one time!

message 23: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 3 comments Michael wrote: "Do you like the Savage Sword of Conan? I think those are some of the best Conan comics. I've been collecting the Conan the Avenger series but haven't read them yet. I've been saving them to read th..."

Thats the same thing I do Michael, collect a big run and then read them all together. I'm collecting those big reprints of Savage Sword as well. I read most of the series years ago, but I want to read those again.

message 24: by Whorehammer40k (new)

Whorehammer40k | 5 comments Whorehammer40k wrote: "Michael wrote: "Some of the early ones are worth a lot of money. I remember how excited I was when I first saw Conan comics on sale by Marvel. Being a Conan enthusiast from the Lancer books. I reme..."

The Savage Sword ones are good. Lots of brutality and the art work is awesome. It's a style much more fitting to Conan, with the art and storyline. I would definitely recommend that series. It really is "savage" as the name implies.