Readers and Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GENERAL CONVERSATION > November-December 2010 chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
I am starting this topic early due to the weekend and Halloween...so let's chat here for the next two months.

message 2: by Reeves (new)

Reeves Honey | 142 comments I have been in a terrible reading slump this fall. This is due in part to family issues but also I am reading my magazine back load and watching all the stuff I DVR! The only book I am sure I finished in October was The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard. I have never read any of her books before. I thought the above was a pretty good read.
Upstairs I started Forgotten Gardens by Kate Morton and downstairs The Passage by Justin Cronin. I have not picked up either in a week.

In an admittedly desperate attempt to get some posts on this message board, I am going to do as many posts as I can dream up tonight.

Come on folks, surely a few of you must have SOMETHING to say once in a while.

If I can post, so can everyone else!

So.......... this weekend my husband and I have our grandson Charlie here, all to ourselves. My daughter and SIL are away for the weekend at a wedding and we have the little guy. He is so darn cute and so much fun at this age (18 months).

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "So.......... this weekend my husband and I have our grandson Charlie here, all to ourselves. My daughter and SIL are away for the weekend at a wedding and we have the little guy. He is so darn cute..."

Eighteen months is a great age! We have had my daughter and two grandchildren living with us since July. They will be going to Monterey for son-in-law's next tour (Navy) in December some time. At six and eight years old, they've been a lot of fun. Of course they've had to enroll in school here. Poor little kids--they have to be at school at about 7:00 in the morning, and eat lunch at 10! DD has to drive them and pick them up at 2pm because we live too close for bus service, but not close enough for them to walk. At least DD can go back to bed for a while if she wants. We're going to miss them terribly. Her husband is still in Norfolk, where they were stationed for the last 2 years. But they couldn't extend their lease for six months, so lucky us! I'm sure DD will be very happy to have her own household again.

message 6: by Libyrinths (new)

Libyrinths | 57 comments JoAnn, have fun with Charlie -- lucky you!!!

JoAnn, I read this thread pretty regularly, but seldom have something of interest to post myself. But attempting an assist...I'm pretty busy this month trying to get things done in advance because I'm having cataract surgery in early December. So, not getting as much reading time as I'd like. But when I AM reading, I'm very much enjoying Robert Kaplan's new book, Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power.

Also, last month after watching BookTV's In Depth with one of my favorite science explainers, Michio Kaku, they said that November's In Depth would be Salman Rushdie. So, having enjoyed several of his books, and having only started, but getting interrupted from, his The Satanic Verses, decided to use the upcoming program as a spur to finally get that read. Still reading on it, but it turns out they have someone else for In Depth this month. This isn't the first time they've done this -- announced who would be on the next month, then had someone else. In a way I'm glad, because it buys me time to get it read before they do have him on. If they follow their pattern when they do this, he'll probably be on in December. And I may actually have finished the book by then!

Libyrinths wrote: "In a way I'm glad, because it buys me time to get it read before they do have him on.."

Sometimes we all need a little (or big) push!

Oh, Carolyn, you must be in heaven with your daughter and "the grands" living with you for such a long time. CA is way too far away from you.

What does your SIL do in the Navy? My daughter's college roomie and also her maid-of-honor is based near San Diego...she is a Marine helicopter pilot and so is her husband. She probably weighs 90 pounds and is gorgeous - and flies a huge supply helicopter.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) OK...I'm new to CR - a real greenhorn, but I know a cry of help when I see one so I'll add my two cents...

JoAnn, I am managing the antics of my 6 month old son. Granted, that doesn't entail much at the moment, but I think my wife and I are truly in for it once he starts crawling and walking!

The good news is, I'm still finding time to read - although not as much as I used to. At least now I can read to my son and he actually shows some interest.

message 10: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (last edited Nov 05, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Nice to meet you, Paul. I am sure your son takes up more time (and space) than you ever thought possible!

Does he have a favorite book yet? My grandson's favorite for at least the last year is Little Feet Love. He loves the textures and never tires of us reading it to him. I think he also likes the familiarity.

Thanks for posting.

message 11: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments As usual, my life is full of grandchildren this week. I'm lucky to have all six in town but it does keep me hopping. My daughter is out of town so 14 year old Mitchell is with me all week. Two others have had two sleepovers and always after school care..and I'm fixing dinner for our entire congregation this Sunday. My husband is away and I usually count on him for muscle. That's my update, JoAnn.

message 12: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

good to see you checking in, Sue.

How do young families do it without parental help......how did I do it? I never had family nearby until my children were school age, and not much then.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments Hi JoAnn and all, my name is Linda. I live in Westchester County, NY and just joined Goodreads. Already spending to much time here!

This looks like a great group, with a pretty diverse selection of discussions. I love that you have food discussions! Cookbooks and novels revolving around food are some of my many favorite types of books. The last really good one I read was The School of Essential Ingredients.

message 14: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Linda wrote: "Cookbooks and novels revolving around food are some of my many favorite types of books. The last really good one I read was The School of Essential Ingredients. "

Welcome, Linda. I love these types of books too and think I have run out of novels involving food. I actually spent a lot of time last night searching online, to no avail. I also like non-fiction involving restaurants, how they started and work, etc.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments There is a new book I that I had read a review on about the relationship between two friends and recipes they exchanged, by mail (I think) over the years. For the life of me, I can't remember the name!

I also love books about food and travel, anywhere they go! Under the Tuscan Sun and A Year in Provence were both enjoyable reads.

message 16: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I just read about a book by the late NYTimes travel writer, R.W. Apple:
Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr.

Sounds good.My library does not have it, so I think I will order it.

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Oh, Carolyn, you must be in heaven with your daughter and "the grands" living with you for such a long time. CA is way too far away from you.

What does your SIL do in the Navy? My daughter's colle..."

My SIL is a supply officer in the Navy, JoAnn. He's been deployed to the Middle East twice , and it's very hard on the children. His next tour in California is in school, so he'll be a landlubber for eighteen months. I think this will be beneficial for my grandson in particular, who seems to have a lot of anxiety when his dad is away. They lived in San Diego for two years; my grandson was born there. SIL has been putting in a lot of miles between Virginia and South Carolina in the past few months; it's about a 6 and a half hour drive, but he's come a few times, and will probably be here next weekend. Their school has a Veterans Day parade, and DD hopes to surprise the kids by having their father show up in the parade. Then of course a couple of weeks later it'll be Thanksgiving, and he's sure to be here for the big meal!

message 18: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments oh, how wonderful it will be if dad can surprise the kids at the Veteran's parade. I'd love to see that!

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I just read about a book by the late NYTimes travel writer, R.W. Apple:
Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr.

Sounds good.My library does not have it, so I thi..."

Just added Far Flung and Well Fed... to my to read list! Sounds great.

message 20: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) Welcome, Paul and Linda !
:)

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: ...Does he have a favorite book yet? My grandson's favorite for at least the last year is [b..."

JoAnn, My son's favorite book so far (in his short life!) is "Owl Babies". Not sure who the author is. He seems to enjoy books as much as he can at this point.

message 22: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) Libyrinths wrote: ...I'm pretty busy this month trying to get things done in advance because I'm having cataract surgery in early December.
---------------

Best wishes on the surgery, Sharon.

message 23: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Paul wrote: "

JoAnn, My son's favorite book so far (in his short life!) is "Owl Babies". Not sure who the author is. He seems to enjoy books as much as he can at this point. ..."

My grandson has a sturdy little wagon and keeps it full of his books. He wheels it over to a corner of the room and takes out the books and sits and "reads" them, one at a time, for a long time. This delights my heart, for sure.

message 24: by Schmerguls (last edited Nov 15, 2010 05:46AM) (new)

Schmerguls | 257 comments What I read in November 30 years ago (1980)

1594 Memorial Book: History of the Czechs in the State of South Dakota, compiled by Joseph A. Dworak Translator: Laddie E. Kostel (read 8 Nov 1980) Since my wife's father is Czech and I am greatly into genealogical research I found this book of much interest. In 1915 there were only 9,845 Czechs in South Dakota.

1595 The Life of John Lancaster Spalding First Bishop of Peoria, 1840-1916, by David Francis Sweeney, O.F.M. (read 11 Nov 1980) The subject of this biography was born at Lebanon, Ky., on June 2, 1840, studied at Louvain, was ordained on 19 Dec 1863 by the Cardinal Archbishop of Malines, Belgium, at his Cathedral, was consecrated first bishop of Peoria on May 1, 1877, in old St Patrick's Cathedral in New York, with Cardinal McCloskey as consecrator and Bishop Foley of Chicago and Bishop Gibbons of Baltimore as co-consecrators. His life was bound up with all the interesting trials of the American Church in the subsequent years so familiar to me from my reading of The Great Crisis in American Catholic History, 1895-1900, by Thomas T. McAvoy on 30 Sept 1961, the biography of Cardinal Gibbons on 18 Oct 1961, the biography of Archbishop Ireland 27 Oct 1961, and McAvoy's A History of the Catholic Church in the United States on 17 June 1975. This volume had not yet been published in 1961 or I would have read it then. It is adequately written though it tends to be a little spare--and not overly revealing. Bishop Spalding was stricken on Jan 6, 1905, and resigned as Bishop of Peoria in 1908. He died Aug 25, 1916. A very worthwhile book, and one must agree Bishop Spalding did a lot of good.

1596 Pitchfork Ben Tillman: South Carolinian, by Francis Butler Simkins (read 20 Nov 1980) I first heard of this book in 1944 and have wanted to read it ever since, and finally have. I would have enjoyed it more in 1944. It is poorly written, and far too favorable to its subject than it would be if it had been written today [in 1980]. Tillman's attitude to the Negro is unbelievable, even defending lynching and saying he'd lead a lynching mob. He was elected Governor in 1890, reelected in 1892, and went to the Senate in 1895, and stayed there till he died. He was planning to run for renomination when he died on 3 July 1918, even though he had been feeble or getting senile when he was reelected in 1912 already. He really is not a worthwhile character, but the book is amateurishly written. Readable, but not well-written.

1597 The White Chief: James Kimble Vardaman, by William F. Holmes (read 24 Nov 1980) This is a 1970 biography of Vardaman, who was born July 26, 1861, in Jackson county, Tex. The book is written in a pedestrian style and yet I found it absorbing. I had long heard about Vardaman, dressed in white, being pulled by white oxen--I thought that was how he got around during the campaign! How dumb! He was pulled by a team of 80 white oxen in a parade--and that was it. He was a progressive, but his obnoxious racism makes him despicable. He was Governor from 1904 to 1908, lost in 1907 to John Sharp Williams in the primary for the Senate term beginning in 1909, and then won the 1911 primary for the Senate term beginning in 1913. He lost in 1918 to Pat Harrison and in 1922--when he gave no speeches--he lost to Hubert Stephens. He died June 2, 1930, in Birmingham, Ala. His name is memorable to me since he stood with LaFollette, Norris, Stone, Gronna, and Lane as the six Senators who voted against declaring war on Germany on April 6, 1917.

1598 The Russian Revolution, by Marcel Liebman translated by Arnold J. Pomerans (read 26 Nov 1980) I do not believe I have ever read a book as Marxist as this one, written by a Belgian Marxist about 1967. I was a little dismayed to realize how much there is to know and about how much has been written about the Russian Revolution and how little I know. This book reads like a Marxist tract, and I found novel the attempt to justify so much that I have seldom before heard attempted to be justified. Actually, it is heavy on theory. One really should read more in this area, but this book irritated because of its overwhelming and illogical pro-Bolshevik bias. [I read a much better book on 17 Sept 2001: A People's Tragedy, by Orlando Figes.]

1599 Sickles the Incredible, by W. A. Swanberg (read 27 Nov 1980) This is a fantastically good book about Daniel E. Sickles, who was born in New York City on 20 Oct 1819, served three terms in the House of Representatives (1857-1861, and 1893-1895), and died 3 May 1914. An enthralling book, and though it has not one footnote, and no bibliography, it is written in the breezy style that so easily captivates, and I was tremendously caught up by it and I have been reading it continuously all day. The book starts with the fantastic account of how Sickles killed Philip Barton Key (son of Francis Scott Key) on 27 Feb 1859, then goes back to the beginning and tells the whole amazing, incredible story of his life, with lots of attention to his Civil War career, including his role at the battle of Gettysburg. As Horatio King wrote in his old age:
I see him on that famous field,
The bravest of the brave,
Where Longstreet's legions strove to drive
The Third Corps to its grave.
The fight was bloody, fierce and long,
And Sickles' name shall stay
Forever in the Hall of Fame
As he who saved the day.

A despicable character and yet his life is a fantastic saga. Excellent book!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments >>1599 Sickles the Incredible, by W. A. Swanberg <<

I can't resist a story with a review like this: "A despicable character and yet his life is a fantastic saga". Luckily my library supposedly has a copy on shelf so I will keep my fingers crossed that my hold request comes through.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments When I checked my emails this morning I found that I won a book on Goodreads! What a great way to start a Monday, and the week! :)

message 27: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments Linda wrote: "When I checked my emails this morning I found that I won a book on Goodreads! What a great way to start a Monday, and the week! :)"

Congratulations! What book did you win?

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments The Neighbors Are Watching A Novel by Debra Ginsberg The Neighbors Are Watching: A Novel

Thank you, it made my day!

message 29: by Reeves (new)

Reeves Honey | 142 comments Linda wrote: "The Neighbors Are Watching A Novel by Debra Ginsberg The Neighbors Are Watching: A Novel

Thank you, it made my day!"

This sounds like a great snowed in book as opposed to a beach read in a different season!
BTW,I am going up to Chappaqua with hubby to cook an early Thansgiving for my frail in-laws there.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda | 9 comments R. wrote: "Linda wrote: "The Neighbors Are Watching A Novel by Debra Ginsberg The Neighbors Are Watching: A Novel

Thank you, it made my day!"

This sounds like a great snowed in book as op..."

Small world! I have quite a few people who are very close to me there!

message 31: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

The world’s greatest bookshops, according to Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/san-f...

message 32: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "The world’s greatest bookshops, according to Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/san-f..."

Cool, I have actually been to the number 1 choice City Lights Books in San Francisco. Visiting all the others would make a great vacation.

message 33: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sandi wrote: "Cool, I have actually been to the number 1 choice City Lights Books in San Francisco. Visiting all the others would make a great vacation. .."

This would be my dream vacation!

message 34: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments Eight anecdotes from food writers on Thanksgiving:

8 Food Writers

I was just talking to my brother about Calvin Trillin's quest to make Spaghetti Carbonara the preferred Thanksgiving dish last night.

message 35: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sandi wrote: "

I was just talking to my brother about Calvin Trillin's quest to make Spaghetti Carbonara the preferred Thanksgiving dish..."

Even though we have turkey with all the fixings every year, it is not my meal of choice. I would like something else! You go, Calvin! I enjoyed the 8 anecdotes, Sandi.

message 36: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments Amazon.com has compiled the New York Times Book Review's 100 notable books for 2010 in a handy alphabetical list: 100 Notable Books 2010

Looking over the list I have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest(least favorite of mine of the trilogy) and Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War (very good).

Lots of the nonfiction picks look pretty interesting and I was a bit surprised to see three biographies of baseball greats from the fifties on the list (Willie Mays: The Life, The Legend, The Last Boy, and The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron).

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 43 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Sandi wrote: "

I was just talking to my brother about Calvin Trillin's quest to make Spaghetti Carbonara the preferred Thanksgiving dish..."

Add me to the list of those who love spaghetti (and any other kind of pasta) carbonara. I learned to make it in Italy and for years it was my dish of choice when having friends over for dinner.

I recently found it on the menu of a new Italian restaurant here in Tacoma. Imagine my dismay when I read that "Spaghetti Carbonara is covered with a tasty Alfredo sauce." Say what??

message 38: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Shannon wrote: "Imagine my dismay when I read that "Spaghetti Carbonara is covered with a tasty Alfredo sauce." Say what?? .."

Oh, noooooooo

message 39: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I just posted (and then closed the post) about the annual FAVORITES voting. If anyone wants to talk about it, please do it here.

PLEASE do not vote here.

This topic: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4... will be opened on January 1 (for a month) for voting. I just wanted to give everyone time to think about it.

message 40: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments I've been off a few months. No excuse, just not been reading this board. I can't imagine why I wouldn't, it's so interesting :) Read a great book last week called The Rose of Sebastopol by Katherine McMahon. This book is a bit of a romance but so much more as well. The characters are involved in all sorts of causes in England, then nursing in the Crimean War, a war I knew almost nothing about. Had no idea Florence Nightengale was the strait laced lady she was. Society plays a large part in the novel, almost on a Jane Austen level. The romance is romantic, the war is terrible, the characters are interesting, the writing is terrific. The whole book just rolls along full of surprises.

I see McMahon also wrote The Alchemist's Daughter, a book I skipped when it was talked about on our board. I think I'll have to check it out now.

message 41: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Hi, Bunny, good to see you here. You always find such unusual books!

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) I am going to have the shortest book list in my adult life this year. Between having the CD player in the car die (I listened to many audio books) and just getting involved in other things (travel, art, just wasting time), I haven't read as much. Sigh.

Forgive me if anyone has already said this, but I discovered that there is a free Goodreads app for my iPod Touch. That means I can take my huge "to read" list with me to the library! I am so excited!

message 43: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments AudioFile Magazine has published their best of 2010 in various categories:

href=http://audiofilemagazine.com/best_of_... Best Audiobooks 2010

They also list their best voices of 2010:

Best Voices 2010

I want to check out Freedom by Jonathan Franzen since one of my favorite new narrators, David Ledoux, is the the reader. Hopefully my library will order some copies soon.

message 44: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I must be so "out of it" regarding book prices...I was at a Barnes and Noble yesterday (cannot remember the last time I was at a bookstore, sad to say) and almost every trade paperback I picked up was $15.99. What the heck? This was shocking, I suppose because when I buy books, it is usually through ABE or the hated Amazon. Even the new books I get from ABE are not that much. And of course, most of my books come from the library and are free.

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (hernandies) | 3 comments I agree about the book prices! I have been purchasing a lot through Betterworldbooks.com which has great prices, free shipping (even if I only order 1 at a time!) and a good selection of used books as well as links to outside vendors.

message 46: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

WonderBook.com also has free shipping, I think. Love it!

Both of these stores are part of AbeBooks.com

message 47: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) I get most of my books from the library or used book stores.

I do by a very few from my indie store at full price but that is only because this is where I go for my f2f book group and it is sort of expected that you buy the group read book or some book.

message 48: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

The Dom DeLuise cookbook that I got for $1 arrived yesterday...and it is a hardcover. I wasn't expecting much but it is in good condition.

message 49: by Cryleo (new)

Cryleo | 45 comments Last month there was a book sale and I got 16 books (not new titles but new books) at RM126 that's USD40. I think it's a good deal.

message 50: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments I found a children's book I wanted, Zaralda's Ogre by Tomi Ungerer, on Amazon - I had found two others I wanted already and searched for that one last, only to find it cost about $35 for some reason. It was late, so I just sighed and ordered it, but when it came up on my order, it couldn't be delivered until 12/27 (dumb, isn't it?) so I canceled it. I went to Abe Books for the first time, found it for $15, and it's on its way to me today. Pretty good.

I really liked the looks of his book No Kisses for Mother, but my daughter can be extremely sensitive sometimes, so I skipped it :) Still looks like a great book for kids.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.