}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

The Books > "Rip Tide" by Tracy Deebs

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Oct 29, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
So "Rip Tide" still doesn't have a cover, but a longer description has come out:

"Torn between what is and what should be, sixteen-year old Tempest Maguire, must decide just how far she's willing to go to defy her destiny. Add in her love/hate relationship with the ocean, her completely inappropriate crush on the new guy on the beach and an ancient underwater feud only she can stop, is it any wonder that these days she can barely stay on her surfboard? But with the fate of half the Pacific Ocean resting on her head, can Tempest get beyond her feelings of betrayal to fight the battle she was born to win?"

What do you think? I had hopes for this book, but I don't think it's going to be very good from the description here. Sounds a little too cheesy for me, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

message 2: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I think it sounds pretty good. I'm just confused on whether or not she's a mermaid. I don't like her name much either. Tempest Maguire? I don't know, sounds a little strange. :D

message 3: by oliviasbooks (last edited Nov 01, 2010 10:14AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments "Ancient underwater feud" sounds at least as if she is on talking terms with the Merfolk. If she is not, her first name is not well chosen. It would be such a huge coincidence, if the parents had named her after her destiny by chance ...

message 4: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

yeah, I agree. Tempest is too much of a coincidence and Maguire just reminds me of Lizzie Maguire.

message 5: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Lol! That's what Maguire reminded me of too!

message 6: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments B.t.w. Rip Tide: The sequel to Dark Life has the same title. It is not a merpeople book, but a young adult novel with a dystopian plot (with a little fantasy woven in) that deals with pioneers who moved to live on the ocean floor. I liked it lots!

message 7: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I wanted to read that one! I thought it sounded interesting and kinda sorta mermaid-ish. I'll probably still read it when I have the time! :D

message 8: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Nov 03, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

sounds interesting...

looked it up...and now I've added to my already too long to read list :)

message 9: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments I am pretty convinced that Rip Tide will be published under the title Tempest Rising, which has an ISBN and a gorgeous cover already. Two volumes in one year is a thing that rarely happens.

message 10: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Nov 08, 2010 04:00PM) (new)

hmm...so I guess the title was just changed then.
And that description makes the story sound a lot better I think.

message 11: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments I changed the title after I searched the net (Both books were to be published by Walker at the same time). The author seems to be a professor in Texas. Unfortunately I couldn't find a blog.

message 12: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Amazon said her website is www.tracydeebs.com, but she's published a lot of romance books under pseudonynms. Her blog hasn't been updated since October, so she hasn't said anything about the book.

Plus, I am so EXCITED to read this! I love that cover! It's beautiful!

message 13: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Tempest.
Writing no-no number one:
NEVER GIVE YOUR CHARACTER A STRIPPER NAME!

message 14: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Lol! That's hilarious! !

message 15: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
But so true!

message 16: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, you're right! Have you seen the cover to the book? Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs Amazing! Let's just hope her personality redeems her stripperish name. (A mermaid stripper...so many weird book ideas.) :D

message 17: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Wow. Now THAT would be awkward. Love the cover. I'm getting a bit tired of the cliche' mysterious mermaid diving into the ocean kind of thing.

message 18: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments i want it! OMG it sounds so good.

message 19: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Ah, 2011 is somewhat the year of mermaids. It's kind of odd that this resurgance came about now.

message 20: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I think the mermaid phenomenon has to do with the general-paranormal craze. First vampires, then werewolves, then fairies, then angels...and now mermaids. 2012 looks like it's the year for mermaids, too. (Fingers crossed the world doesn't end, then.) :D

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha...

message 22: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Yeah I guess. I just hope the mer-books will be better than most of the faerie/vampire/werewolf/ ect. ones. I didn't find many of them good.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree...

message 24: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

One of these days a mermaid book is going to come out that creates the next craze :D I hope it's soon-ish...

message 25: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Me too. I need all the lore I can find.

message 26: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 YA....LIKE A MERMAID TWILIGHT TYPE THING......

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

God, Mermaid, can't get over your picture...

message 28: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

like all of your friends' profile pictures are of Bieber...

message 29: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments Garrett wrote: "Yeah, you're right! Have you seen the cover to the book? Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs Amazing! Let's just hope her personality redeems her stripperish name. (A mermaid stripper...so many weir..."

IT LOOKS SOO GOOD. the book sounds great to read. i want it, and it's not due to the whole paranormal-faze, i've always been a huge mermaid fan.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Emilimcg wrote: "like all of your friends' profile pictures are of Bieber..."

Hey...i'm her friend, and I despise the BIEBS,......

message 31: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments clarinet_friend13 wrote: "Emilimcg wrote: "like all of your friends' profile pictures are of Bieber..."

Hey...i'm her friend, and I despise the BIEBS,......"

OMG me too. i think that everyone is just going out of proportions because of this guy. seriously

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I know...ugh...listen to some good indie music, and you'll be cured!!!

message 33: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments i know huh? every time i turn on the radio, all i hear is "baby, baby, oh". Like come on!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh! Yes, yes I do....
Ever heard of Matt and Kim or Darwin Deez?????? Florence and the Machine???

message 35: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments and what is the obsession with his hair? seriously, it's just HAIR!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah....its ugly....

message 37: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments thank u, some one agrees!

message 38: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

eh, he'll fade away eventually. Kind of like the Jonas Brothers. Although I used to like them...

message 39: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments yeah...what happened to them? like they were on top of the whole scene, and now they're like gone.

message 40: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I think they're coming out with a new album soon actually? Not sure.

message 41: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 42 comments didn't they all break up the band, i remember when nick jonas left the band to start his own.