Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What movies should be seen on the big screen?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was thinking of how a few people said Rocky Horror needed to be seen in a crowd at midnight in order to be appreciated. That got me thinking...what movies should be seen on the big screen?

This, by the way, may be a question perceived through generational eyes. If you've only seen films at mall multiplexes, for example, you may have a different perception of what a "big" screen is. When I was a kid ("shut up, grandpa!") I remember theaters that would seat 1000 people with a huge screen in front of them. You don't see that much anymore. What do you think?

message 2: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments All the sweeping big action dramas . . . Dances w/ Wolves, Gladiator, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan . . . just to name a few. (LOTR etc)

message 3: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments 2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Wars (the first trilogy)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Gone With the Wind

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) the action movies IRONMAN etc. and for Clark all the animated movies. :)

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Action movies and war type movies that put you in the middle of the action. Definitely Star Wars.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart The Harry Potter movies. there's no point in watching them on DVD. Or at all.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Barb wrote: "If you've got a good TV and surround system ... most of those "must be seen in theatre" movies are a better experience at home ... and you have the comfort of your own sofa, and you don't have to p..."

And you can tell anyone sitting around you talking to "shut up" without starting a donnybrook.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I didn't love it, but Avatar really needed to be seen on a big screen. Titanic, too.

Agreed with Star Wars.

Lawrence of Arabia
Ran
Saving Private Ryan

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Gone with the Wind
Lawrence of Arabia
Alien

Wow, I am unimaginative.

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I think most horror films should be seen in theaters. It's much creepier than watching at home.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

No no no Jan, you have to watch creepy horror movies at home so you can leave the room when you get too scared. :)

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
That doesn't help. There's usually a killer in the next room.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, thanks LG. I'm such as wuss when it comes to horror movies.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments LG, that is so funny. However, you can experience that feeling when you return home from the theater - in spades. True horror fans WANT to be scared silly.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I saw Blair Witch Project in a grungy multiplex with sticky floors, a narrow shoebox of a theater, and with a red EXIT sign clearly visible to the left of the screen. I never was able to lose myself in the movie.
Sometimes, watching a scary movie at home is better.

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) All the Indiana Jones movies can be added to the list.

I was on a plane from London to Calgary and they played Titanic as the in-flight movie. Just as the ship started to tear apart, the plane hit turbulence. That interactive experience was a much better thrill than watching it on the big screen.

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Gone With the Wind and Out of Africa and Citizen Kane are best seen on the big screen because the settings and innovative photography are so integral to telling the story.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think there are two categories:
1)Movies that should be seen on a big screen (the bigger the better) because they are beautifully shot and epic: Lawrence of Arabia, the Lord of the Rings, etc.
Subcategory: 3D. Home 3D doesn't work for me, but I have gotten a kick out of 3D since I was a kid, and I'm always happy to put on those glasses for an action flick.

2)Movies that invite a shared cultural experience:
This includes Rocky Horror and other midnight movies, but also Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Star Wars on the first night.

message 19: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 54 comments Most of the summer blockbusters! They are made to totally overwhelm you with light and sound and it doesn't always translate on the small screen. This does not imply wether they are any good or not - just that they should be watched on the big screen.

message 20: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Have to agree, James. Just remembered Jurassic Park.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments "Lawrence of Arabia", "Doctor Zhivago"

message 22: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet."

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Just saw the new Harry Potter movie: definitely should be seen on the big screen!

message 24: by Gus (last edited Nov 29, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Ah, Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!. One of my 20 favorite films ever.

And yes to Metropolis; I just placed my order for the restored edition on Blu-Ray after catching it on TCM a few weeks ago.

I'd add Seven Samurai to this list. Well, any Kurosawa films, for that matter (especially Ran).

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments - Star Wars
- E.T.
- The Rear Window
- The Sound of Music
- My Fair Lady
- Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet (Incidentally, this was my parents' first date. My mother still has the program from when they went to see it)

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
The new Batman franchise necessitates a trip to the theater.

message 27: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 54 comments The battle seen from Kenneth Brannaghs Henry V is something I would love to see on the big screen.

The 5 hour long Gettysburg was fantastic on the big screen.

message 28: by James (last edited Nov 29, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 54 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "The term "Batman franchise" makes my skin crawl..."

It certainly has had its ups (Batman Returns, Batman Begins), its downs (Batman Forever) and its total disasters (Batman and Robin).

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments All 3 "Lord of the Ring" trilogy.

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 29, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Gettysburg.

message 31: by Jammies (new)

Jammies James wrote: "The battle seen from Kenneth Brannaghs Henry V is something I would love to see on the big screen.

The 5 hour long Gettysburg was fantastic on the big screen."

Oooh, and Gods and Generals was fantastic on the big screen!

message 32: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Blade Runner. It's a great movie on TV but it can blow your mind on a big screen.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Hmmmm, what's that about?

J/k.

Black Swan was definitely best on the big screen. Would not be 1/8 as good on a tiny screen.

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments I loved Marie Antoinette on the big screen.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Inception was meant to be seen on the big screen. Plus, the sound, in Dolby, would be way better at the theater, too.

I did NOT realize that about Blade Runner, that we were supposed to be wondering about Decker. Sheesh, how did I miss that?!

message 36: by sunshyne66 (new)

sunshyne66 | 15 comments All Star Wars movies, the new Star Trek, Avatar... pretty much anything sci-fi is usually better bigger and louder! :D

message 37: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments welcome to TC, sapphyreskye!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.