Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Songs of Love and Death

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the book that is going to have the story of Rogers parents. It is due out on the 16th of November. I can't wait.

----
Overview -
Songs of Love and Death
Product Details

* Pub. Date: November 2010
* Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
* Format: Hardcover , 480pp
* Sales Rank: 115,302

* Series:
* ISBN-13: 9781439150146
* ISBN: 1439150141

Synopsis

IN this star-studded cross-genre anthology, seventeen of the greatest modern authors of fantasy, science fiction, and romance explore the borderlands of their genres with brand-new tales of ill-fated love. From zombie-infested woods in a postapocalyptic America to faery-haunted rural fields in eighteenth- century England, from the kingdoms of high fantasy to the alien world of a galaxy-spanning empire, these are stories of lovers who must struggle against the forces of magic and fate.

Award-winning, bestselling author Neil Gaiman demonstrates why he’s one of the hottest stars in literature today with “The Thing About Cassandra,” a subtle but chilling story of a man who meets an old girlfriend he had never expected to see.

International blockbuster bestselling author Diana Gabaldon sends a World War II RAF pilot through a stone circle to the time of her Outlander series in “A Leaf on the Winds of All Hallows.” Torn from all he knows, Jerry MacKenzie determinedly survives hardship and danger, intent on his goal of returning home to his wife and baby—no matter the cost.

New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher presents “Love Hurts,” in which Harry Dresden takes on one of his deadliest adversaries and in the process is forced to confront the secret desires of his own heart.

Just the smallest sampling promises unearthly delights, but look also for stories by New York Times bestselling romance authors Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney, and by such legends of the fantasy genre as Peter S. Beagle and Tanith Lee, as well as many other popular and beloved writers, including Marjorie M. Liu, Jacqueline Carey, Carrie Vaughn, and Robin Hobb. This exquisite anthology, crafted by the peerless editing team of George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, is sure to leave you under its spell.

Discover the many realms of the heart with this extraordinary cast of acclaimed authors:

PETER S. BEAGLE

JO BEVERLEY

JIM BUTCHER

JACQUELINE CAREY

DIANA GABALDON

NEIL GAIMAN

YASMINE GALENORN

M.L.N. HANOVER

ROBIN HOBB

CECELIA HOLLAND

TANITH LEE

MARJORIE M. LIU

MARY JO PUTNEY

LINNEA SINCLAIR

MELINDA SNODGRASS

LISA TUTTLE

CARRIE VAUGHN

More Reviews and Recommendations
Biography

An iconic American author and screenwriter of fantasy, horror, and science fiction, George R.R. Martin is best known for his epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire.

message 2: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Thanks!!!!! Just pre-ordered it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got this book this morning and the first thing I did was find Diana's story (the last one in the book). I just finished reading it a few minutes again. Has anyone else read it yet?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I haven't read it, but what did you think? I don't think I am going to purchase it.

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'll order mine on my next Amazon order... probably tomorrow.

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments I pre-ordered my copy a few weeks ago and got it on Monday. I read the story yesterday and really liked it! It was so fun to see some new DG writing, and get to know Roger's parents a little bit - new characters are always nice. I won't get into details so I won't spoil it for anyone, but I'll say that I really enjoyed the story. It answered some questions but, of course, also brought up a lot of new ones that I hope will be addressed in future Outlander books.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Shelly that is exactly the way I felt. When more people have read it maybe we can talk about it then.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I just got mine in the mail today! I probably won't be able to get to it until next month.

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Carolyn - it's a short read. I read it in a couple of hours last night.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) I went to Borders today completely intending to buy the book and then I didn't :( I'm going to ask for it for Christmas instead. Money is tight and I wouldn't feel right spending $20 bucks on a book.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i'm debating getting it on kindle and sending it to my mom first (because her birthday is coming up) - that is my justification (our kindles are both on my account)...that works right?

message 12: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments If there is one thing I splurge on that my husband knows I won't listen to reason, it's anything to do with Diana Gabaldon. I'm buying it today; he got paid, haha.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Wendy wrote: "If there is one thing I splurge on that my husband knows I won't listen to reason, it's anything to do with Diana Gabaldon. I'm buying it today; he got paid, haha."

I think that's what my fiance expected when we went to Borders. I think he was going into shock when I put the book down and decided to wait.

message 14: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Sarah wrote: "Wendy wrote: "If there is one thing I splurge on that my husband knows I won't listen to reason, it's anything to do with Diana Gabaldon. I'm buying it today; he got paid, haha."

I think that's w..."

LOL, I've done that before too. And I'll admit that this book isn't like one in the series. When Echo in the Bone came out I was there the 1st day, same with The Exile, this one I've put off until my husbands payday.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Nov 18, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Lol I pre-ordered both Echo in the Bone and The Exile. I had no idea about this book until this posting or I would have pre-ordered it as well!

At least you waited until payday! :)

My fiance gave me coupons for my birthday that he made and 3 of them are book coupons; where he'll buy me one book of my choice (I got two books on one coupon because I had a 50% off coupon on all paperbacks limit two for Borders and I told him that as long as the books were the same price it was like he was only buying one so he bought both!). If I feel the need that this book is completely necessary and I have to have it now, I have one coupon left to use! LOL

message 16: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Has anyone read it yet? I wasn't too happy with Exile and don't want to spend the money if you guys aren't thrilled with the book(Christmas spending is right around the corner).

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Sarah wrote: "Lol I pre-ordered both Echo in the Bone and The Exile. I had no idea about this book until this posting or I would have pre-ordered it as well!

At least you waited until payday! :)

My fiance gav..."

Oooh! That is an awesome gift idea... what books did you get?

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i'm debating getting it on kindle and sending it to my mom first (because her birthday is coming up) - that is my justification (our kindles are both on my account)...that works right?"

You're a wonderful daughter Dee.

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Shelly wrote: "Carolyn - it's a short read. I read it in a couple of hours last night."

Shelly, you read the whole book Shelly (which deserves a "WOW" if you did) or just the short story?

message 20: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Pinda wrote: "Has anyone read it yet? I wasn't too happy with Exile and don't want to spend the money if you guys aren't thrilled with the book(Christmas spending is right around the corner)."

I read it and thought it was really great. I was kind of disappointed by the graphic novel but really enjoyed this story.

I know a lot of people are only buying this book for DG's story, and that's why it might feel like a lot to spend for one book... but I wanted to mention that I glanced through a couple of the other stories and they look good as well. So give those a shot too!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Wendy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Lol I pre-ordered both Echo in the Bone and The Exile. I had no idea about this book until this posting or I would have pre-ordered it as well!

At least you waited until payday! :..."

Blood Song (Bloodsinger, #1) by Cat Adams Siren Song (Bloodsinger, #2) by Cat Adams Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2) by Diana Rowland

The last one was on another coupon. :)

message 22: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments I read this last night. It was typical DG - very good. It answered some questions about Roger's father and mother, and depicted a fairly good character study (for such a short story). It also, however, posed a couple new questions/mysteries, which can only be answered in DG's next book! Aagh!
I loved it, but I gobble up any and all words written by DG.
For me, it was worth paying $16.

message 23: by Carla (new)

Carla | 8 comments What other books has DG written that you would recommend. Are they from different time periods? A series? Is her style the same? Thanks

message 24: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Just the LJG series... that I can think of. I only read Lord John and the Private Matter. I didn't like it as much as the Outlander series.

message 25: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia | 17 comments Pinda wrote: "Has anyone read it yet? I wasn't too happy with Exile and don't want to spend the money if you guys aren't thrilled with the book(Christmas spending is right around the corner)."

If you want to own it wait for Christmas but go to the library to read it if you can't wait ( which you won't be able to cuz it's good:) ) It is a pretty easy read if you are current with characters and storylines. I wasn't happy with exile either after I rushed right out to buy it!

message 26: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments Carla wrote: "What other books has DG written that you would recommend. Are they from different time periods? A series? Is her style the same? Thanks" Diana has given me a love for GREAT HISTORICAL fiction WITH ROMANCE...she is #1 in the genre - but worth reading (for me) Into the Wilderness series...Sara Donati..I mean, after I read Outlander Saga over and over again...and Elizabeth and Nathaniel are worth the read - just not Jamie and Claire, but still quality people of character! ALSO....I can't say enough about the Bronze Horseman saga..by Paullina Simons (yes Alexander is flawed - but human... and he does awfully well with what life hands him...Paullina has captured 1941 Russia with too much personal experience to hand..her grandparents Alexander and Tatiana are so real they rip your heart out and fill it up again...like Jamie and Claire do over and over again for me...all series cannot be compared except for the fact that they all have people of character, and historical intelligence and accuracy that say "you are there". Comparing anyone to Diana is unfair...but you will not regret any of these great series...I had to own these all - and give them all as gifts! I didn't really like Lord John's books, though liked him in the series.

message 27: by Carla (new)

Carla | 8 comments Thank you for your recommendations. I will check these out. I also tried to get into the LJG books but had a difficult time doing so. They would have been a good "filler" to the Outlander Series.

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments that's why I recommended The Bronze Horseman series and Into the Wilderness Saga... they more than adequately fill the time with books that are intelligently written with historical accuracy - with characters that resonate like no other... until the next Outlander Book!!!!