THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

BUDDY READS- GROUP READS > EXCLUSIVE JAMES MASON GROUP LAUNCH AND GIVAWAY...MEMBER-PRIYA PARMAR- EXIT THE ACTRESS-

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Dec 18, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Rick F. | 12878 comments Mod
http://priyaparmar.blogspot.com/2010/...

http://www.priyaparmar.com

THIS BOOK WILL BE RELEASED BY TOUCHTONE AN IMPRINT OF SIMON & SCHUSTER IN FEB. 2011- AS PRIYA IS A VALUED MEMBER OF THE JAMES MASON GROUP- WE WILL BE GETTING 20 FREE COPIES EXCLUSIVELY FOR JAMES MASON MEMBERS- PLEASE READ REVIEW AND SYNOPSIS OF BOOK AND IF IT IS ONE YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ-AND WRITE REVIEW FOR GOODREADS AND AMAZON ON A FEB. 4TH AS PART OF A GROUP LAUNCH- LET ME KNOW!
ONE OF MY ORIGINAL AND MAJOR AIMS FOR THIS GROUP IS SUPPORTING MEMBER AUTHORS- BE THEY PUBLISHED BY MAJOR PUBLISHING HOUSES, SMALL PRESSES OR INDEPENDANT- OUR COMMON BOND IS THE JAMES MASON GROUP.

EMAIL (send message)TO ME AND I WILL HAVE PUBLISHER SEND YOU A FREE AUTOGRAPHED COPY. PRIYA IS A WONDERFUL LADY AND GREAT AND LOYAL JAMES MASONER- SO LET'S ALL ROOT FOR HER AS THIS IS HER DEBUT NOVEL
I READ IT AND LOVED IT- AN AMAZING HISTORICAL NOVEL- SO UNIQUE IN THAT IT IS TOLD THROUGH LETTERS, INVITATIONS,ANNOUNCEMENTS ECT!!!
THANKS
RICK

"A triumph" says Philippa Gregory, of this debut novel about the life of the legendary 17th century actress and mistress of Charles II, Nell Gwyn.
Paperback, 464 pages
Expected publication: February 2011 by Touchstone

Priya Parmar is a former dramaturg and freelance editor and hold degrees in literature and theatre. She is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Edinburgh.

Her first historical fiction novel, EXIT THE ACTRESS is being published on February 1, 2011 by Touchstone/Simon and Schuster and she is currently living in London and working on her second, set in WWI.

When not researching in the UK, She is at home in Hawaii writing and reading everything and she is always looking for new recommendations!

Wonderful, wonderful Mari from the thoroughly lovable blog, Bookworm with a View and the brilliant Manic Mommies Book Club has just emailed to tell me fantastic news! Exit the Actress was chosen to be on the 2011 reading list for the Manic Mommies Book Club!

They choose twelve books a year--one book to read and discuss every month and it looks like Nell will be the book for May! I am thrilled! The Manic Mommies are amazing! They: have a weekly podcast with 50,000 downloads a week, write for Real Simple.com, were just ranked the third most influential mother's group by Forbes Magazine and have adorable calendars at Target, Wal Mart and most big bookstores.

Their entire demeanor is generous, forthright, astute and kind. And, they discuss books I really love. I just listened to Mari's marvelous interview with Elin Hildebrand who wrote The Island. I loved it. I loved the book and I loved the supportive, creative, inquisitive tenor, timbre, tone and pitch of the discussion. I am so thrilled Nell is going to be part of this...
View more on Priya Parmar's website »
websitehttp://www.priyaparmar.com
Exit the Actress A Novel by Priya Parmar

message 2: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments Rick, thank you for starting this thread!

message 3: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments thank you so much nanette! do you enjoy historical fiction?

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice Pearce | 3 comments I have looked you up, Ms. Parma and am quite impressed by what I have discovered. I am quite picky when it comes to the books I read, as I often am called on to babysit my grandchildren, but I have developed an interest in you and will most certainly make haste to read your work.

message 5: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments that is so sweet of you! i am so pleased you want to read the book!

message 6: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i am actually in london just now. i did part of my undergraduate and then all of my post graduate in the uk and then moved down to london (from edinburgh) and lived here for years so my life is pretty much divided between hawaii and here. long commute!

so pleased you enjoy historical fiction! exit the actress is about nell gwyn and is set in restoration london in the world of the theatre and the court.

message 7: by Rick (last edited Nov 05, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

Priya wrote: "i am actually in london just now. i did part of my undergraduate and then all of my post graduate in the uk and then moved down to london (from edinburgh) and lived here for years so my life is pr..."

I LOVE the writing style you chose Priya! absolutely kept me turning the pages!!! A truly wonderful reading experience!
Rick Exit the Actress A Novel by Priya Parmar

message 8: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i am so pleased! have you already started reading it?

message 9: by Rick (new)

Priya wrote: "i am so pleased! have you already started reading it?"

YES! so wonderful!!

message 10: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i am thrilled!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Rick (last edited Dec 18, 2010 03:52PM) (new)

http://priyaparmar.blogspot.com/2010/12/...

http://www.priyaparmar.com

THIS BOOK WILL BE RELEASED BY TOUCHTONE AN IMPRINT OF SIMON & SCHUSTER IN FEB. 2011- AS PRIYA IS A VALUED MEMBER OF THE JAMES MASON GROUP- WE WILL BE GETTING 20 FREE COPIES EXCLUSIVELY FOR JAMES MASON MEMBERS- PLEASE READ REVIEW AND SYNOPSIS OF BOOK AND IF IT IS ONE YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ-AND WRITE REVIEW FOR GOODREADS AND AMAZON ON A FEB. 4TH AS PART OF A GROUP LAUNCH-
ONE OF MY ORIGINAL AND MAJOR AIMS FOR THIS GROUP IS SUPPORTING MEMBER AUTHORS- BE THEY PUBLISHED BY MAJOR PUBLISHING HOUSES, SMALL PRESSES OR INDEPENDANT- OUR COMMON BOND IS THE JAMES MASON GROUP.

EMAIL (send message)TO ME AND I WILL HAVE PUBLISHER SEND YOU A FREE AUTOGRAPHED COPY. PRIYA IS A WONDERFUL LADY AND GREAT AND LOYAL JAMES MASONER- SO LET'S ALL ROOT FOR HER AS THIS IS HER DEBUT NOVEL
I READ IT AND LOVED IT- AN AMAZING HISTORICAL NOVEL- SO UNIQUE IN THAT IT IS TOLD THROUGH LETTERS, INVITATIONS,ANNOUNCEMENTS ECT!!!
THANKS
RICK

"A triumph" says Philippa Gregory, of this debut novel about the life of the legendary 17th century actress and mistress of Charles II, Nell Gwyn.
Paperback, 464 pages
Expected publication: February 2011 by Touchstone

Priya Parmar is a former dramaturg and freelance editor and hold degrees in literature and theatre. She is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Edinburgh.

Her first historical fiction novel, EXIT THE ACTRESS is being published on February 1, 2011 by Touchstone/Simon and Schuster and she is currently living in London and working on her second, set in WWI.

When not researching in the UK, She is at home in Hawaii writing and reading everything and she is always looking for new recommendations!

Wonderful, wonderful Mari from the thoroughly lovable blog, Bookworm with a View and the brilliant Manic Mommies Book Club has just emailed to tell me fantastic news! Exit the Actress was chosen to be on the 2011 reading list for the Manic Mommies Book Club!

They choose twelve books a year--one book to read and discuss every month and it looks like Nell will be the book for May! I am thrilled! The Manic Mommies are amazing! They: have a weekly podcast with 50,000 downloads a week, write for Real Simple.com, were just ranked the third most influential mother's group by Forbes Magazine and have adorable calendars at Target, Wal Mart and most big bookstores.

Their entire demeanor is generous, forthright, astute and kind. And, they discuss books I really love. I just listened to Mari's marvelous interview with Elin Hildebrand who wrote The Island. I loved it. I loved the book and I loved the supportive, creative, inquisitive tenor, timbre, tone and pitch of the discussion. I am so thrilled Nell is going to be part of this...
Exit the Actress A Novel by Priya Parmar

message 12: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i think it is so lovely the way you are supporting member authors! i am delighted.

message 13: by Sharond'ah (new)

Sharond'ah | 55 comments WOW- the book looks very interesting. I never read a book written like this. How do I get a copy? How do you come up with the plot?

message 14: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments that is so lovely of you to say! the broad strokes of the plot are historical but the smaller details and the emotional landscapes just came trough the door with the characters. i didn't have so much say in it!

message 15: by Rick (last edited Dec 19, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

new msg from another James Masoner
Hi, Rick. I would LOVE to receive a copy of this book, and promise to read it quickly and post a review. I am very interested in this period in history, and Nell Gwynn in particular, and it would be an honor to be among the early readers of this book.

Thanks for the offer, and thanks for the work you do in moderating this group. Although I don't offer many comments, I do enjoy being a member very much.

Best,

Kathleen M,,,,,
TX,USA
(I deleted address and last 5 letters of last name)
sending her name to Priya's publisher for a free signed copy

message 16: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments rick i am so thrilled. i cannot thank you enough. x

message 17: by Rick (new)

Priya wrote: "rick i am so thrilled. i cannot thank you enough. x"

my pleasure! Priya

message 18: by Gary F (new)

Gary F | 244 comments Wow Priya the book looks amazing! I will definitely send you my info!

message 19: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments oh good! i am currently in the uk but i think rick has all the information for my lovely publicity team? they all adore him!

message 20: by Rick (new)

Priya wrote: "oh good! i am currently in the uk but i think rick has all the information for my lovely publicity team? they all adore him!"

indeed I do and will happily forward Gary F's info to Meredith!

message 21: by Sharond'ah (new)

Sharond'ah | 55 comments This a real person? nell?

message 22: by Rick (last edited Dec 20, 2010 07:04AM) (new)

Sharond'ah wrote: "This a real person? nell?"

Based on a real person- very incredible detail-Priya makes you feel like you really know the person, Sharond'ah
please email me with info and will have complimentary signed book sent to you

message 23: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments rick that is a lovely thing to say!

she was real and vibrant and so interesting! she had an amazing life!

message 24: by Rick (last edited Jan 14, 2011 06:23PM) (new)

Priya wrote: "rick that is a lovely thing to say!

she was real and vibrant and so interesting! she had an amazing life!"

Many people had amazing lives- few had such talented writers like you to put them to paper!

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her friends all over London and beyond. I loved the inside glimpses of the theater world, in particular. Priya has done a stellar job of bringing 1660s London to life, and I hated to have to come back to the present when the book ended. I hope she's working hard on her next book!

message 26: by Rick (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her friends all over London and beyond. I loved the inside glimpses ..."

wonderful to hear Kathleen!!! I loved Exit The Actress as well!! Priya is working on a WWI novel as we speak!

message 27: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her friends all over London and beyond. I loved the..."

I hope Exit the Actress is a huge success (it certainly deserves to be), and I'll be first in line to buy Priya's next book. Thanks again for allowing me to obtain an ARC -- it was wonderful to be among the first to read the book!

message 28: by Rick (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her friends all over London and beyond..."

so happy you liked the book Kathleen- hope you post a review!

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her friends all over ..."

Yes, I just posted a review, both on Goodreads and on Amazon (I was first!). Priya also has a Facebook page for the book, where you can become a fan and spread the word.

message 30: by Rick (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Rick wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Just finished Exit the Actress: A Novel, and it was wonderful! I felt as though I was walking along with Nell and her frie..."

thanks so much Kathleen!

message 31: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments kathleen! i am so thrilled you liked it! thank you for posting your marvellous reviews! it helps the book so much to have reviews here and on amazon! you and rick have just been so wonderfully kind!

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) You're more than welcome. I loved your book, and can't wait to get back to London in May and take a little "Nell" walk to visit the places mentioned in the book. Or what remains of them, at least. Are you planning any book signings in the Dallas area?

message 33: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i am already back in the uk so will not be coming to dallas but am here if you are coming to london! we can go on a nell walk!

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) I'll be arriving in London on 24th May (after a nice cruise across the pond on the Queen Mary 2, where I'll tell everyone I meet about your book). It would be wonderful to take a Nell walk with you! Will you be in London then?

message 35: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i might be back in hawaii by then but if i am here i would love a nell walk! the queen mary 2? how wonderful...

message 36: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) My first cruise -- I can't wait! I hope you're in London while I'm there -- it would be such fun to meet up. I'm planning another trip in December, so maybe we can meet up then if you're not in London in May.

message 37: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i will definitely be here in december!

message 38: by Timothy (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:19AM) (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 320 comments Hi Priya,
Are you mad!! you live in Hawaii and will be in London in DECEMBER!!!!!
I live about a hundred K north of the place, in the wilds of Norfolk, I can never get out of London quick enough!
I've never been to Hawaii, Fiji, New Zealand yes but never your home islands. All I can say is it must be love which tears you away from home to a place like our Capital city! especially in December!!.
All the best Paul rix [oldgeezer]

message 39: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments i know. it is terrible! but i love it here too!

message 40: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 320 comments Hi Priya,
I was lucky enough to go to lots of exotic places with the army, but there's no place quite like home, as long as it's not too bad! So I know what you mean.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 41: by Kristina (last edited Feb 18, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

Kristina (Kristina3880) Hi Priya,
I just had the pleasure to read your breathtaking debut novel. I truly was transported to Ellen/Nell's time. I felt like I were friends with Ellen and her friends and family. I loved the writing style and am now quite interested in knowing more about this time period. I have recommended your book to a couple other book groups here at goodreads. I am forever a fan and looking forward to many books to come. Congrats on your debut novel.

message 42: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (PriyaParmar) | 38 comments that was the most wonderful message! thank you! i am so very very pleased!!!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Exit the Actress (other topics)
More...